Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Help with tinting

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by JAFO
Sort of answered my question. With the radio antenna being in the rear defrost do you have to watch what type of tint is put on the back window. I know the owners manual says not to put tint containing metal on the rear but has anyomne done it? Does it have an effect? Been awhile since I had to have windows tinted (1995) so I'm not up on the new types of tint... ceramic??? Really? Figure even base line tint will help but know that the "metalized" tint helps reflecrt heat and UV rays. TIA
I have not had any issues that I know of. I do not listen to the radio much though so? As for one or the other there should not be a BIG price leap so if you are concerned I would just get the ceramic to be on the safe side.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:56 PM

Here is my monte. It has 20% llumar tint. cost $139+tax to have done. lifetime warranty. I have never been pulled over.

Last edited by aussiek2000; 08-19-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:08 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I love having darker tint. I think im 30% on the sides 15-20 on the back. I bought it used and its kinda scraped up. Make sure they cut it good at the top so it doesnt start to peel off. And with what I have u cant back up at night without sticking your head out the window lol.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by aussiek2000
Here is my monte. It has 20% llumar tint. cost $139+tax to have done. lifetime warranty. I have never been pulled over.
I have Llumar tint also. The nice thing about it is it has the lifetime warranty and its transferable meaning you sell the car it goes with the car. The other nice thing is that you can take it to ANY Llumar dealer if anything goes wrong with it and they have to fix it free. Like I said I have 30% and that seems like a good mix of dark but not too dark.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:26 AM

pure2sin, you do know that IF you do get pulled over, you COULD get a ticket since the law in MN is 50% right? don't get me wrong, i love the way it looks on your monte, but with my experiences the cops around here can be d*cks about it. not worth the hassle imo.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:30 AM

Law here in PA is that %70 of available light has to shine through, which is why I'm afraid to tint my windows even though I want to really badly (I can get llumar for a good price here). Cops here are a-holes and they stop me all the time just because i'm a girl who drives a red monte carlo then try to hand me some bs that my tail lights are out. I dont THINK SO pal. Or say my registration and plate is expired. No, it's up in august of next year, try again. Then they just give me a warning because they know they can't get me on anything. with the tint on the windows, I probably wouldn't be so lucky.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Pure2sin
I have not had any issues that I know of. I do not listen to the radio much though so? As for one or the other there should not be a BIG price leap so if you are concerned I would just get the ceramic to be on the safe side.
Good point, Usually listen to CDs myself but if it's getting around rush hour I like to get traffic updates, or if that rare hurricane starts making a path towards the Midlands of SC I like to know about it so I can race it to the mountains.

Nothing says you can't put metal on the sides and ceramic on the back either, but as you said the $ difference can't be that big!

Old 08-20-2009, 07:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by moonlitmagik
Law here in PA is that %70 of available light has to shine through, which is why I'm afraid to tint my windows even though I want to really badly (I can get llumar for a good price here). Cops here are a-holes and they stop me all the time just because i'm a girl who drives a red monte carlo then try to hand me some bs that my tail lights are out. I dont THINK SO pal. Or say my registration and plate is expired. No, it's up in august of next year, try again. Then they just give me a warning because they know they can't get me on anything. with the tint on the windows, I probably wouldn't be so lucky.
My thoughts exactly. I have a very young looking face, so it just looks like some new teenager in Mommy and Daddy's car. I get hassled a lot in my car. I don't need to add to that with tint. (plus half the time I'm running with the windows down)

Old 08-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

drewskie...i agree on the cops beign Dikks but it all really depend on the cop and whats goin on around you...i was pulled over in st.paul becuase of the baby tint squares on my sarurn..but it was a

Old 08-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

a friday night and i was just puttin around town after leaving porkeys.. checkin a few race spots but he said he was checking to see if i was some ricer kid who just put that up there to mask the

Quick Reply: Help with tinting