Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Help with spoiler!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:20 PM
1 Year Member
Question Help with spoiler!

Ok, so i painted my spoiler today with a few coats, and then i put a few clear coats on it. It looks great just like my old one! When i put them both side by side they were the same color and everything, but my old one seemed much smoother and when I ran my fingers on them both, my new one felt rougher than my old one. Does anyone know how I could make my new spoiler as smooth as my old one? here are some photos below of my old one compared with my new one. Btw, the new one is still not dry so it looks a lot shinier right now.

Attached Thumbnails Help with spoiler!-image.jpg  
Old 12-29-2014, 07:22 PM
1 Year Member

And here is the old one

Attached Thumbnails Help with spoiler!-image.jpg  
Old 12-29-2014, 08:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I believe you need to let the clear coat completely dry and then wet sand it with a very, very , very fine grit sand paper.

Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in with better details.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I believe you need to let the clear coat completely dry and then wet sand it with a very, very , very fine grit sand paper.

Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in with better details.
+1

it is in the fine detail work, you need to get lighter grit sandpaper and wet sand the clear coat, and then buff it, it should shine up nicely when done

Old 12-30-2014, 08:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You need to wet sand it with some 800 or 1000 grit sand paper,
Then buff it . Just sand it til its smooth..don't over sand it or it will go thru the clear cote finish.

When we repainted mine... We did 4 coats of clear...That way we got a nice high gloss shine after wet sanding and buffing!

Old 12-30-2014, 09:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I agree, wet sand with 1000 grit paper...then get some clear coat safe rubbing compound, rub it out, then polishing compound.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:00 AM
1 Year Member

I just woke up this morning and its much dryer and smoother. It looks just like the other one, except its not a shiny and glossy. Would i need to apply more clear coat? Ive already used 2 cans completely on it and about 5 coats I think.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Red Monte Carlo
I just woke up this morning and its much dryer and smoother. It looks just like the other one, except its not a shiny and glossy. Would i need to apply more clear coat? Ive already used 2 cans completely on it and about 5 coats I think.
Did you see that four people told you to wet sand? What you want is what they all recommended you do.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:11 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by farmerjg
Did you see that four people told you to wet sand? What you want is what they all recommended you do.
I had my uncle come and look at it and he said NOT to wet sand it since the clear coat came out of a can and its fresh and since I have never did anything like that I would probably sand it all off. Its already smoothed out a lot overnight so I should apply more clear coat since I did the clear coat wrong the first time Im going to put more on it at a closer distance and he said it should shine more like the other one.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:06 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Yea man, listen to your uncle. He knows. Make sure you let the paint cure for at least 3 months before you let it go outside into the cold or it will make it peel.

Quick Reply: Help with spoiler!