Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint/Body Work/Exterior (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/)
-   -   Help with spoiler! (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/help-spoiler-51638/)

Red Monte Carlo 12-29-2014 07:20 PM

Help with spoiler!

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, so i painted my spoiler today with a few coats, and then i put a few clear coats on it. It looks great just like my old one! When i put them both side by side they were the same color and everything, but my old one seemed much smoother and when I ran my fingers on them both, my new one felt rougher than my old one. Does anyone know how I could make my new spoiler as smooth as my old one? :confused: here are some photos below of my old one compared with my new one. Btw, the new one is still not dry so it looks a lot shinier right now.

Red Monte Carlo 12-29-2014 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here is the old one

The_Maniac 12-29-2014 08:37 PM

I believe you need to let the clear coat completely dry and then wet sand it with a very, very , very fine grit sand paper.

Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in with better details.

ohara 12-29-2014 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 641650)
I believe you need to let the clear coat completely dry and then wet sand it with a very, very , very fine grit sand paper.

Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in with better details.

+1

it is in the fine detail work, you need to get lighter grit sandpaper and wet sand the clear coat, and then buff it, it should shine up nicely when done

STUMPMI 12-30-2014 08:29 AM

You need to wet sand it with some 800 or 1000 grit sand paper,
Then buff it :thumbsup:. Just sand it til its smooth..don't over sand it or it will go thru the clear cote finish.

When we repainted mine... We did 4 coats of clear...That way we got a nice high gloss shine after wet sanding and buffing!:)

MAMONTE 12-30-2014 09:59 AM

I agree, wet sand with 1000 grit paper...then get some clear coat safe rubbing compound, rub it out, then polishing compound.

Red Monte Carlo 12-30-2014 11:00 AM

I just woke up this morning and its much dryer and smoother. It looks just like the other one, except its not a shiny and glossy. Would i need to apply more clear coat? Ive already used 2 cans completely on it and about 5 coats I think.

farmerjg 12-30-2014 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Red Monte Carlo (Post 641737)
I just woke up this morning and its much dryer and smoother. It looks just like the other one, except its not a shiny and glossy. Would i need to apply more clear coat? Ive already used 2 cans completely on it and about 5 coats I think.

Did you see that four people told you to wet sand? What you want is what they all recommended you do.

Red Monte Carlo 12-30-2014 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by farmerjg (Post 641741)
Did you see that four people told you to wet sand? What you want is what they all recommended you do.

I had my uncle come and look at it and he said NOT to wet sand it since the clear coat came out of a can and its fresh and since I have never did anything like that I would probably sand it all off. Its already smoothed out a lot overnight so I should apply more clear coat since I did the clear coat wrong the first time :nono: Im going to put more on it at a closer distance and he said it should shine more like the other one.

Enzo354 12-30-2014 11:06 PM

Yea man, listen to your uncle. He knows. Make sure you let the paint cure for at least 3 months before you let it go outside into the cold or it will make it peel.