Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Help! Plastic center console paint!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member
Default Help! Plastic center console paint!

Hey guys so maybe i got a little over zeallous and rushed and made a big uh oh.... I Noticed a peeling on my center console and it was bugging me. Wanting a glossier black anyways I went to the store and bought some krylon clear and gloss black. I did what apeared to be a good sanding job and grabbed my black spray paint can from the shelf. Unfortunately I grabbed the VINYL paint instead Within a few strokes of spraying the paint was ALEREADY bubbling back up horrendously. I quickly removed the paint as best i ccould, waited for the rest to dry and set about sanding it off again. after a little more work on the piece I realized there was a more rubbery substance that was difficult to remove. I thought I could simply smooth it down and the paint coats would fill it in but this is not the case. The paint looks good on the spots where the rubbery substance is remove but horrendous where it is still there. I just red that 6th gen plastics have some kind of coating. So my question is, HOW DO I REMOVE THIS COATING? seriously, its just gumming up my sand papper. I want to get this done this weekend before red goes into the mechanic. And I dont like to drive around with my center console removed

Old 10-04-2013, 06:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Bubbling is usually caused by contaminants on the surface or a reaction between dissimilar paints. After sanding you need to clean the surface with paint prep to insure all sanding dust, oils, etc. have been removed. Then you need to lay down a coat of primer/sealer. Wet sand the primer, clean with paint prep then apply several thin coats of paint. After that dries wet sand, wipe down with paint prep and apply your clear coat. A final wet sand (3000 grit) will smooth the clear coat and give it a uniform appearance. Take your time - don't rush or all your effort will be for naught.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:48 AM

Yes the center console and radio bezel have a rubber type coating on it. I had a 1995 Grand Prix SE that had the same coating. I scraped all of it off, sanded the plastic (as scratches and gouges were left by scraping). I sprayed a primer (primer for plastic parts), light sanding on the primer and painted it gloss red (3 to 4 light coats as you will not cover it with 1 quote.... you will get paints runs otherwise) . I think I used a razor blade, flat screw driver and a plastic chisel to scrap the rubber coating off. This was very time consuming but needed to repaint this trim.

Name:  IMAGE011.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  69.3 KB

Last edited by KCFITZ78; 10-04-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:57 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by KCFITZ78
Yes the center console and radio bezel have a rubber type coating on it. I had a 1995 Grand Prix SE that had the same coating. I scraped all of it off, sanded the plastic (as scratches and gouges were left by scraping). I sprayed a primer (primer for plastic parts), light sanding on the primer and painted it gloss red (3 to 4 light coats as you will not cover it with 1 quote.... you will get paints runs otherwise) . I think I used a razor blade, flat screw driver and a plastic chisel to scrap the rubber coating off. This was very time consuming but needed to repaint this trim.
Problem is like I said, I pretty much assumed the rubber was paint and acted acordingly so. Its all been painted over.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:35 AM

Not sure....paint thinner, sanding, scraping. I have never removed paint from plastic. but you need to, because you need to get the rubber like coating up.... not going to be easy unless you just buy a used center console and start over.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:04 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by KCFITZ78
Not sure....paint thinner, sanding, scraping. I have never removed paint from plastic. but you need to, because you need to get the rubber like coating up.... not going to be easy unless you just buy a used center console and start over.
I used a combination of dry sanding, and wet sanding/wiping with denatured alchohal. Also some minimal scraping with a tool. The denatured alchohal did a good job of taking out the paint ontop of the rubber coating AND weakend the coating. I just out on the second coat and I'm going to put on another coat then clear coat and wet sand with 3000 grit. What should my wet sand objective be?

Old 10-09-2015, 09:25 AM

i want to paint mine too,yea its and old thread..i see its alot of work to do..