Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Headlight Tinting Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 11:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Headlight Tinting Ideas

Well after doing a whole bunch of things under the hood of my monte I ended up catching the mod itch again. I figured since I modified my tail maybe I'll give the heads a treat. Personally I'm a big fan of blacked out lights, but not a fan of the decreased light output, and I dont feel like installing HID's to counter it. I'm also too lazy to deal with snap on covers so I figured why not compromise? I was thinking about using some VHT nite shades to do something a little like this, I'm still tossing around ideas for it and I'm not doing it till I'm 100% certain on the design since monte carlo headlights are really hard to find in junkyards around here. Anyways let me know what you think, I'd love to hear every ones opinion!

Attached Thumbnails Headlight Tinting Ideas-chmol1b.jpg  
Old 08-26-2012, 11:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

That design would be cool! I like how it exposes the low beam so you'd still have good light output.

I personally favored the covers so when it starts to get dark I can just pop them off But during the day I can have that blacked out look. I rarely ever drive my Monte at night so it's not a big deal for me to pull them off and re-install, but if you drive a lot in both settings it may be a bit of a pain to constantly be removing.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
That design would be cool! I like how it exposes the low beam so you'd still have good light output.

I personally favored the covers so when it starts to get dark I can just pop them off But during the day I can have that blacked out look. I rarely ever drive my Monte at night so it's not a big deal for me to pull them off and re-install, but if you drive a lot in both settings it may be a bit of a pain to constantly be removing.
Mines the DD so I think the covers would get old pretty fast lol. Actually your signature is what got me thinking about tinting them. Sweet ride man!

Old 08-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Covers actually aren't too bad, you could cut the tabs and use velcro you just have to be careful when in public of people stealing them... you could also mod the covers with a dremel? that could end up looking pretty sweet actually, I have a perfect set for that if you're interested.

Otherwise I like your idea, looks like it could work out nicely

Old 08-26-2012, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
Covers actually aren't too bad, you could cut the tabs and use velcro you just have to be careful when in public of people stealing them... you could also mod the covers with a dremel? that could end up looking pretty sweet actually, I have a perfect set for that if you're interested.

Otherwise I like your idea, looks like it could work out nicely
Well it's not the time or the difficulty of removing them that would bother me. I just know I would forget one night. The streets in my neighborhood are really well lit, and they're has been plenty of times I've driven some one else's car a few miles before I realized the lights weren't on. So it's not too hard for me to imagine forgetting to take them off and not realize it until I'm being pulled over or I'm going down the highway lol.

I was also playing with the idea of painting over those areas, but bring the edges in more, then trying to fade the nite shade into the paint to fill the rest of the area I drew out in the pic... I'll just make another drawing lol.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member

Here we go. Here I was thinking the black parts would be completely opaque, and the dotted areas would be a smooth transition with the tint from the completely opaque paint, to the completely clear light. It seems a tad over complicated, but I dont mind throwing 12 hours at these lights if they come out good.

Actually maybe a hard transition would look better, might compliment the slots/lack of real grill.

Attached Thumbnails Headlight Tinting Ideas-chmol1b.jpg  

Last edited by Overdose666; 08-26-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

You could try it out with vinyl or some sort of tape to see how it will look. If it looks nice you could make it permanent.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

This is a cool idea. I like the idea of modified covers too.. that could be sweet if done correctly.

I also second Lou's idea with vinyl. You could get the pattern on there as sticker too see if you like it. If not, peel it off and try again. You could get the same effect by using plasti-dip.