Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Ground Effects kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 12:39 AM
1 Year Member
Default Ground Effects kit

I have the regular ss monte carlo
Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS picture # 03 of 03, Rear Angle, MY 2003, 1280x960
and thier is allready some kind of trim on the car but its not the high sport ground effects kit. instead of getting the kit of gm parts for $1100 i found the rear extension peice on ebay for cheap and I was wondering if I can just order it and get it painted. the trim that allready on the car would i be able to take that off and use those clips on the high sport extension peice? also can i just take the piece that are allready on the car and get them all painted and clip them back on? I hope that makes sense.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:04 AM

In the front and back you'll need to cut about 13 slots between the current lip and bumper. The new piece fits overtop you current pieces. The sides just pop off and you clip the new rockers on.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 AM

You can do this. I have to same trim as you, and when i got the car I decided to make the car into a high sport. It took me a while to find all the ground effect pieces and other stuff, but I did. If you want to install rear ground effect, all you need to do it cut 8 slots (4 on each quarter panel) so the slots that stick out on ground effect line up with the slots you cut. Other than that, its just a matter of drilling a few(4-5) screws to help hold on ground effect. Be carful when working with the clips as they break eaisly if you are not careful and hard to find other than GM Direct. Let me know if this helps!

Old 03-21-2013, 12:37 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by TMoney
You can do this. I have to same trim as you, and when i got the car I decided to make the car into a high sport. It took me a while to find all the ground effect pieces and other stuff, but I did. If you want to install rear ground effect, all you need to do it cut 8 slots (4 on each quarter panel) so the slots that stick out on ground effect line up with the slots you cut. Other than that, its just a matter of drilling a few(4-5) screws to help hold on ground effect. Be carful when working with the clips as they break eaisly if you are not careful and hard to find other than GM Direct. Let me know if this helps!
I'm sorry I am an absolute noob drill the current pieces I have? What size drill where do I get the clips what size screws? Is thier a way we can make this super easy for a fellow or best bet would be to try and take it to a shop? The thing im worried about if I take it to a shop is they wouldn't know how to put it on properly and might break one of the said rare clips.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by 03redSS
I'm sorry I am an absolute noob drill the current pieces I have? What size drill where do I get the clips what size screws? Is thier a way we can make this super easy for a fellow or best bet would be to try and take it to a shop? The thing im worried about if I take it to a shop is they wouldn't know how to put it on properly and might break one of the said rare clips.
\

You dont drill anything on the ground effect. You will have to cut slots(not holes) on your quarter panel so the ground effect will slide right onto the body, and then its just a matter of screws and clips to hold it on. When I did it, it took me about 3-4 hours to cut slots and drill everything in under car. As far as not breaking the clips, just insert it into the bumper slowly and carefully and for should be fine. Let me know if this helps

Old 03-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's a few diagrams of the bumpers & Hi sport lips..

Old 03-23-2013, 01:38 PM
1 Year Member

thanks for all the help i have an understanding what to do now, but one more question the sale on ebay doesnt include the clips or screws were would i be able to get them

Old 03-23-2013, 02:07 PM

thanks for all the help i have an understanding what to do now, but one more question the sale on ebay doesnt include the clips or screws were would i be able to get them
The only way you can really get these is if you order them from GM. I think the clips are like $3 each. They are hard to find and I do not know of another way to buy them

Old 03-26-2013, 05:06 PM
1 Year Member

I cant find which clips and screws I need from GMPartsDirect can someone direct me to the screws and clips needed

Old 03-26-2013, 05:12 PM

I cant find which clips and screws I need from GMPartsDirect can someone direct me to the screws and clips needed
With the diagrams Jerry used, the clips #17 for the front and #19 for the back. If you need clips then im pretty sure thats what you need