Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Exterior painting setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Exterior painting setup

I'm curious what it takes to get set up to do exterior paint on a car. I've actually got my Monte, which needs a bumper repainted, and my wife's car (a Ford Focus), which needs a new bumper entirely (which of course will need painted). Anywhere I go wants nearly $1000 to do it, I'm wondering how difficult it would be to get set up myself to do the painting, or if it's not worth the hassle. Figure if the cost is about the same, might as well get the equipment so I can do it myself again in the future. Don't know what all is involved though.

OR

Is there anyone in Tennessee that would be willing to do the painting for me? I'll buy you a beer...

Old 01-29-2015, 11:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Actually its fairly easy...

I would use a scotchbrite over the surface you want to paint... Or use like 800 to 1000 grit wet sand paper to remove all the wax,grime to ruff up the surface to accept the paint and give it something to stick/adhere to.

Be sure the surface is clean and dry... I would wash it with soap and water and or go over it with denatured alcohol... That should remove any oils/residue left from the soap.. Use a good primer... after prime.. Lightly wet sand til smooth with 1500 to 2000 grit... Then you can shoot some color... (at least 2 coats of base) Never use single stage paint! Once the base coat dry's... Wet sand the color with 1500 to 2000 grit til smooth..

Then shoot it with clear and your all set! I would do 3 to 5 coats of clear depending on the finish your looking to get out of it.

Buff/Polish to a high gloss .... and wait at least 2 to 3 weeks before you can wax it! Then your all set...

I went to painters supply and gave them the paint code...
Then they did me a favor and mixed up the color and put it into a rattle can!
Saved me time and money.. No equiptment to buy... Just sand paint and I was finished!

Old 01-31-2015, 12:47 PM

Painting is one of those things where the theory is easy but it takes practice to perfect. With all materials, you'd be looking around the $500+ range. The most expensive material is actually the paint, especially if it has to be blended. I know Sherwin Williams in my area charges $300 for a gallon of Wildberry Purple Metallic (A mid 90's Chrysler) color, and $250 for a gallon of GM's black (which their claim is that they have to mix some yellow into it per GM's specs).

I suggest to shop around for paint. Primer DOES have to be the same brand as the paint you buy. Mixing it can cause for it to not blend well together. Something you gotta be aware of.

As far as setting up a paint booth, if you have a garage, it helps immensely. All you would need then is an air compressor and a paint gun. Then it's all about practice, you want to practice getting smooth even strokes so the paint doesn't have streaks. I might even suggest you practice smaller things with paint cans so you get the idea of how to lay down base and coats. Paint little stuff like the valve covers and other odds and ends on your car. Once you get an idea, it's all a learning curve from there.

Painting with the car requires things to be covered up. If replacing paint, it needs to be sanded. You can do stuff like aircraft stripper if it's metal. It won't work on plastics, fiberglass, or other non metallic objects. Those you have to sand down the old fashioned way (which takes a while).

There's youtube videos if you wanna see it being done, but I more or less posted the gist of it. It's intimidating but gets easier with time.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Heres a before and after pic using the process I described.

Before

After

Attached Thumbnails Exterior painting setup-rust-spot.jpg   Exterior painting setup-wp_000355.jpg