Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Door to Quarter Panel Interference

Old 01-23-2016, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Door to Quarter Panel Interference

2004 SS

Within the last couple days my drivers door and front quarter panel rub each other when I open the door. They rub, then they make a little "pop" sound when they slip past each other. I didn't hit anything, and nothing looks out of place. Any suggestions? Anything on the door hinges I can tighten?

Old 01-23-2016, 04:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would check your door hinges they may be bad..
With your door open lift it up and see if you have play in the hinge pin.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:32 PM

If door hinges are OK and nothing has been hit or fender is not loose then why?

Where is it rubbing?

My 06 on passenger side at bottom of door was rubbing just a little bit when I first bought it all I did was pull out the fender so the door can clear the fender.

EDIT: I pulled out the fender at the bottom and yes mine was doing a "pop" noise as well. All I did was take one of my plastic interior trim tools and used the door to pry on and "forced" the fender out more than where I wanted it to be because it will come in a bit

Last edited by montedd; 01-23-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member

I actually took the time yesterday to clean the ol' girl up. Too much salt and dirt was making it hard to see. It actually looks like the quarter panel is what shifted. The door hinge pins were good. When I tug and pull on the panels, it feels like the quarter panel needs to move forward to be clear of the door. Does anyone know if there's a shim or something that's supposed to be behind one of the fasteners to keep the panel in place?

Attached Thumbnails Door to Quarter Panel Interference-img_20160125_070639408.jpg  

Last edited by farmerjg; 01-25-2016 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old 01-30-2016, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member

Well this sucks. My fender rusted away from the bottom of the hinge pillar. There's two bolts that hold the fender onto the pillar and my fender completely rusted through and broke free of the pillar so now the fender is shifted aft and into the door. Looks like I can get a replacement fender for around $50. Hopefully painting won't be awful then I can just swap it out.

Damn you Midwestern weather!!!!

Old 01-30-2016, 04:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

mines used to do the exact same thing. what i did to fix the problem is to slightly bend the fender, its not a professional fix, but there isnt any noticeable gap between door and fender, and there is no pop, so good enough for me

Old 01-30-2016, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by owens91
mines used to do the exact same thing. what i did to fix the problem is to slightly bend the fender, its not a professional fix, but there isnt any noticeable gap between door and fender, and there is no pop, so good enough for me
Where, and how, did you bend? The whole thing is just flimsy sheet metal, I couldn't get any appreciable deformation.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

used a flat tip screwdriver, placed a couple inches between the lower rocker panel and just put a meesley bit of muscle into it

Old 01-31-2016, 08:48 AM

My concern would be to preserve the door. Until you get the fender fixed and the door continues to POP you may be doing damage to the front of the door.

If it were mine I would look for any decent metal (if any?) and maybe pop rivet or screws with a piece of strapping and secure the fender for now.

I would try and keep it out of sight and find a spot to attach to the car itself.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by montedd
My concern would be to preserve the door. Until you get the fender fixed and the door continues to POP you may be doing damage to the front of the door.

If it were mine I would look for any decent metal (if any?) and maybe pop rivet or screws with a piece of strapping and secure the fender for now.

I would try and keep it out of sight and find a spot to attach to the car itself.
My thoughts the same. Since the fender is shot, it is definitely taking the brunt of the "pop" versus the door. And to your point, I'm a little perplexed at what to secure it to since everything else will stay once the fender is replaced. I suppose I can try to secure it to the rocker panel, but then that would leave a hole in the panel after I replace the fender.

Search this Thread