Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Bowtie Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 03:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is from an old thread that I posted on when I did mine. . . . if you want to read the whole thread, here it is ~~ https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pa...bowties-21665/ ~~else just follow along. . . . .

Alright i'm actually right in the middle of doing this and thought i'd give some tips while the paint dries......

1) don't take the whole emblem off, just slide a blade or a thin sturdy piece of metal behind the clear plastic and not the whole chromed piece. reason being that there is 3M tape covering the back of the whole chrome piece whereas there is just a quarter inch strip holding the plastic on. Plus you don't have to go about centering it to put it back on this way

2) duct tape or packing tape is a VERY effective way of getting the foil off the back of the plastic.

3) I taped off the whole front of the plastic, scuffed up the back a little bit with sandpaper and put 2 or 3 layers of gloss black on the back only. Oddly enough the foil that was behind the plastic was silver and the plastic itself had a gold tint to it making it appear gold. So when I took the tape off you couldn't tell it was tinted gold however it wasn't really as shiny or glossy as i'd hoped. If you're not looking for super shiny i'd say you could stop here.

4) I was afraid that to achieve the shine i wanted, i'd have to paint the front of the plastic as well (which i didn't want to do because then i'd worry about it chipping since i only rattle canned it). Instead of painting it i tried applying a layer or two of clear coat to the already clear plastic and that shined her right up.

5) take about a 4 inch piece of "3M Super Strength Molding Tape" to the back of the emblem and stick her right back on the chromed piece.

done

Old 10-24-2011, 06:30 PM
3 Year Member

Thanks a ton Jester, I'll probably try it out over the next few days and let you know how it goes!

Old 10-24-2011, 07:33 PM

I didn't want to do anything too permanent so I put strips of black pinstriping tape over the gold raised part of the emblem to see how it would look against the white car. It looks pretty good but up close you can see I covered only the raised part - tomorrow I'm going to cut strips to fit around the whole emblem so all the gold will be covered. It's a lot faster and easier than painting - I might just leave it the way it is (covered with pinstripe strips).

Old 10-24-2011, 08:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011

Originally Posted by wiseheak
Thanks a ton Jester, I'll probably try it out over the next few days and let you know how it goes!

YOU BETTER!!!

hope it all goes well . . .

Old 10-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

this thread reminds me i have to paint the rear bowtie on my GFs cobalt

Old 10-26-2011, 10:14 AM

If you need any more questions answered, I paint my bowties back in 2007 and did a write-up on my cardomain page which you can find at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/302321...oupe-2d/page-2.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:50 PM
3 Year Member

So after a long winter, I finally had a good day to paint my bowties the other day. Thought it turned out pretty well. I did the front, rear, and then put vinyl overlays from NAIOA.com on the wheels.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Monte of the Month -- October 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i did the vinyl overlay and im pleased with it. east to do and take off if ya dont like.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:17 PM
3 Year Member

I bought an overlay at first, but I hated seeing the gold show on the sides. I figued if I didn't like it I'll just take em off and either use thinner to take the paint off or get new ones for like 10 bucks

Old 04-11-2012, 07:37 AM

Looks great! I got the overlays from NIOAA and used red pinstriping to cover the one on the steering wheel. It looks good and is less permanent than painting.

Quick Reply: Bowtie Emblems