Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Painting my bowties

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Default Painting my bowties

Im looking to paint my gold bowties on my 06 silver. The stock ones look like the gold is peeling off under the plastic. I know there are vinyl overlays out there but id rather do paint. Anyone had any luck getting the emblems apart once they are off the car? Ive got one off, now it looks like there is double-sided tape holding the plastic and gold to the shiny frame. There is a rectangular opening that looks like i could use it to pop the emblem apart, but im not having any luck. Any suggestions guys?

Btw, i ordered some spare emblems just in case i make a total mess out of this.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:31 PM

I painted mine. I had to use a thin piece of metal to get between the plastic and the chrome painted frame to tear up the double sided tape. Just be careful to not pull too hard as the clear plastic bowtie can snap.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3023211/2 - How I did mine.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:37 PM

Thanks alot! ill give it a try as soon as i can.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:03 PM

Managed to get the clear plastic piece (which wasnt exactly clear... had a definite gold tint to it) off using a thin piece of metal (an electrical contact cleaning tool) and a heat gun to warm it up all over. Be careful with a heat gun if anyone else is gonna try it cause i warmed mine up a bit too much through the hole in the back and got a little heat damage on the clear plastic.

I put the first coat of silver paint on tonight and got some pics.

Attached Thumbnails Painting my bowties-silver-bowtie-first-coat.jpg   Painting my bowties-silver-bowtie-first-coat-back.jpg   Painting my bowties-silver-bowtie-first-coat-2-.jpg  
Old 07-04-2010, 03:22 AM

when i did my taillights with niteshades i decided to get rid of that gaudy gold crap and gloss black them too ...

well i got em off with a heat gun and a plastic spatula, the pain in the as$ part was getting all the adhesive off the trunk, well i get impatient and snapped one of them, so i only replaced the front, and after the taillights were done, i have to say i rather like not having the rear one on the car anyways, cleans it up

Attached Thumbnails Painting my bowties-2010-07-04-02.51.17.jpg  
Old 07-05-2010, 12:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looks good--don't think i've seen the front bowtie with silver before. Did you paint the whole clear plastic piece or just the back? I was thinking of doing gloss black or laser blue (to match the car) and didn't know if i'd get a better shine just painting the back of it or the whole thing.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:56 PM

jester ... take the thing apart ... peel the silvery backing off with some duct tape ... works really well somehow ... sand it a bit and paint it with a glossy 2 dollar rattle can from walmart ... put the bowtie back together and get some double sided automotive quality tape and youre done ...

took me about 1 hour to do ... the hardest part is getting the damn things off without breaking them ... which i learned how not to do for the future after hulk ripping one off and cracking it in half ...

Old 07-05-2010, 09:47 PM

I had started out just painting the backs... but after it dried it still looked gold. I guess the plastic part had taken on a gold tint so i just painted the whole thing.

Gonna sand out a rough spot in mine and put a clear coat on it and see how it looks.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Something I still need to do... ugh.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Alright i'm actually right in the middle of doing this and thought i'd give some tips while the paint dries......

1) don't take the whole emblem off, just slide a blade or a thin sturdy piece of metal behind the clear plastic and not the whole chromed piece. reason being that there is 3M tape covering the back of the whole chrome piece whereas there is just a quarter inch strip holding the plastic on. Plus you don't have to go about centering it to put it back on this way

2) duct tape or packing tape is a VERY effective way of getting the foil off the back of the plastic.

3) I taped off the whole front of the plastic, scuffed up the back a little bit with sandpaper and put 2 or 3 layers of gloss black on the back only. Oddly enough the foil that was behind the plastic was silver and the plastic itself had a gold tint to it making it appear gold. So when I took the tape off you couldn't tell it was tinted gold however it wasn't really as shiny or glossy as i'd hoped. If you're not looking for super shiny i'd say you could stop here.

4) I was afraid that to achieve the shine i wanted, i'd have to paint the front of the plastic as well (which i didn't want to do because then i'd worry about it chipping since i only rattle canned it). Instead of painting it i tried applying a layer or two of clear coat to the already clear plastic and that shined her right up.

5) take about a 4 inch piece of "3M Super Strength Molding Tape" to the back of the emblem and stick her right back on the chromed piece.

done

Quick Reply: Painting my bowties