Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Anybody have experience with PFYC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Question Anybody have experience with PFYC?

Just wondering if anybody here has had much experience with PFYC products. I recently bought a ram air hood and I am very disappointed. I'm still talking with the company to see if anything can be resolved, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm kind've in a bind because my body shop has already done what they can to fix the hood, and it has been painted, which violates the terms and agreements of the sale, which means PFYC is not legally bound to honor any warranty. That being said I trust my body shop guy who has been doing body work and fiberglass for 35+ years, and he told me that this was the worst hood he's dealt with. Just wondering what others have experienced, good or bad.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wish I could help man but I got mine from MPD
What is your body/ painter saying is wrong ?

Old 02-16-2011, 09:46 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think I bought my exhaust system from them and I didn't have any problems.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

I have ordered from pfyc on multiple occassions and no issues, but most of the stuff I bought was smaller in comparison.

The thing to remember is that I do not think PFYC makes the stuff, other companies manufacturer the stuff and PFYC is just a one stop shop for all the stuff made.

The one thing I have seen over the years is complaints with this hood, that is why anyone who asks about it I always let them know the MPD one is far superior...most think it is the same hood but it is not...they also think the PFYC is a better way to go cause it is cheaper but I try to tell them in the long run it is not...if anything else perhaps this will be a lesson for those in the future when discussing the subject.

Sorry to hear about your issues, just try to e-mail them and see if they will work with you on getting this resolved...keep us updated as well.

Best of luck,
Joe

Old 02-17-2011, 08:10 AM

I think I've learned the hard way that you get what you pay for. The shop said when they first received the hood the top shell was separated from the inner structure, so they fixed that, then when they fit the hood to the car it was skewed out of alignment by 1.5", which they were able to compensate for most of that. The most noticeable problem is that the hood curvature does not match with the fenders. As you can see from my pictures the edge of the hood sits about a 1/4" lower than the top of the fenders in the center. I've been talking with PFYC, they are supposed to call me today so I can talk to them on the phone. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

AHH, I was going to post pics, but I've never done that before, once I figure it out I'll post.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

PFYC is a great company, but I agree with everyone. They aren't making the hood they are just selling it.

And since it's 100% fiberglass, it has a terrible time holding its shape and will require a lot of work to almost fit

Old 02-17-2011, 10:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I've only ordered one fiberglass hood for any of my cars (this was for my '84 Camaro). No problems with that, but it came from a company that has a good following.

I keep wanting an aftermarket hood for my Monte (and I may/may not get one some day, time will tell). I've read a lot of which is better, PFYC vs MPD. I think this is the first I've read of any personal expierence with PFYC (I've read a few really happy folks with the MPD hood). So, I know now if I pull the trigger on this, I'll go with MPD.

Thanks for sharing. I hope PFYC does something to help you out! Best of luck and keep us posted!!

Old 02-17-2011, 11:07 AM

I ordered a ram air hood as well. It just came two days ago and I am dissapointed as well. It fits pretty decent however I have the exact same problem that you have with the hood not lining up with the curve of the fenders in the center. I have a great body shop so they think that they can get it to look decent but overall I am dissatisfied. I hope that you can get it resolved. Good luck!

Old 02-17-2011, 11:47 AM

Okay, figured out the picture upload. I understand that fiberglass parts need to be worked to fit perfect, but I was under the impression that they should be closer than this is. I'm not trying to slam PFYC, like I said I'm at fault for letting the shop continue work before I notified PFYC so they are under no obligation to help me out. But I've been in and around manufacturing long enough to know that mistakes happen and sometimes get sent out, or maybe I've been a machinist too long and anything out of alignment by more than .01" catches my eye. Oh well, I think the shop should be able to fix it up regardless, just ends up costing me more in the end.

Attached Thumbnails Anybody have experience with PFYC?-img_0107.jpg   Anybody have experience with PFYC?-img_0109.jpg   Anybody have experience with PFYC?-img_0116.jpg   Anybody have experience with PFYC?-img_0119.jpg   Anybody have experience with PFYC?-img_0120.jpg  

Old 02-17-2011, 12:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

wow man I am so sorry to see those pictures !! I will say I love the hood in that color but that is way off on the fit .I hope they do something for you because I know that is allot of work that you will end up paying for to get it to look better than it does now
best of luck !!

Quick Reply: Anybody have experience with PFYC?