Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

After Market Windshield Replacement 2002 SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 09:59 PM

Hi Karen,

Welcome to the Forum.

You shouldn't have any issue with the windshield but review this guide and consider adding this part if it hasn't been already. After my windshield was replaced, the passenger floor would get wet when it rained because the cowl cover didn't seal to the new windshield. I don't think the cowl cover is available anymore but this part still was a month ago. I just put one on and had no leaks in yesterday's heavy rain.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...lem-fix-26663/

Old 10-31-2019, 11:43 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Glen01SS
Hi Karen,

Welcome to the Forum.

You shouldn't have any issue with the windshield but review this guide and consider adding this part if it hasn't been already. After my windshield was replaced, the passenger floor would get wet when it rained because the cowl cover didn't seal to the new windshield. I don't think the cowl cover is available anymore but this part still was a month ago. I just put one on and had no leaks in yesterday's heavy rain.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...lem-fix-26663/
This is EXACTLY what I was worried about! I had a really tough time with the images because of the blur and the big photobucket logo over them, I'm going to try to get through it again...and I think I'll push this replacement out a bit until I can get the part. The shop is super anxious to do it, and I'm not in a hurry at all. They've got the quote into Progressive already and are charging $309 total, for both the glass and the installation, and that makes me nervous in and of itself. I was glad it was under $500 so it won't jack my insurance rate up, but I'd expected the glass alone to be at least $250. I don't think that Britainn in the office realizes what kind of time factor is involved with installing a windshield like this one. The warranty will be for as long as I own the car, against defects in workmanship. I don't think this would count as a defect in workmanship since it has to do with the cabin air filter and not the windshield itself. I'd rather look through chips than have a car full of water. We're already getting snow up here, and I've seen it dump a foot in a night many times since during the almost five years I've lived here. The shop seems reputable, though tiny, and they do have a ton of experience. If I could just get a monent to talk to the installer I imagine I could pay him out of pocket to put this piece on, and maybe change the cabin air filter too, as I doubt that's ever been done. If I'm using either defrost setting I can't use recirculated air. Maybe that's normal...but it seems odd to me. The other thing is I can't have a blower motor ruined, because i can scrape ice like mad, but I can't hold my breath drivng the ten miles to town in order to keep the winshield from icing up on the inside, lol.

Thank you thank you thank you for this!

Old 11-01-2019, 04:30 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Well, I'm at the end of my rope. I emailed the shop and I explained I needed to get this part as prevetive maintenance. I said I especially if their warranty didn't cover leaking due to the cowling not adhering to the windshield. I asked abou tthe air filter but said i would pay for that and totally understood if they weren't willing. I said I'd pay for this part and bring it. I said that I knew her husband had 30 years experience and they had good reviews, but I didn't know if he'd done a monte carlo as there is a lot to be removed and then put back on. Nothing. I heard nothing. Finally I called to see if my email had come through and got voicemail. I even had quoted Glen 01SS and provided the link to the permanent fix in my email.

I just said on voicemail that I wasn't sure I'd had the address correct as I'd tried to email.
She called. She said there is no part to order, they've ordered the part and it's there...the windshield. Everything was ready to go. I said, did you get my email? She said yes. She didn't know what I was talking about, as the windshield was already there. I said that if the cowling didn't adhere to the windshield it would leak, and was that included in their warranty? She said those parts are just coverings, they snap on and off (usually) and if there were to be a leak becauswe they didn't adhere it wouldn't be under their warranty, it would be an issue for a body shop....which was exactly what I had thought.

She then proceeded to push again, hard, for me to get it in there and replaced on Monday morning, period. She has been in such a huge hurry this whnole time it's insance, I don't know what the rush is, but I don't like it and I'm not going through with it. I'm calling Progressive I guess to tell them I want to go with another shop wince this one is in such a rush and I'm not liking it. They've got the part, they want me there...they're supposedly mobile, she's refusing to talk to her techs, I've had it. I no longer trust them to install this thing correctlhy at all. I think they are gonna slap it in and ir it leaks I've already given them an out.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am betting they are in a rush to complete your windshield replacement because they already ordered the part and they don't get paid until the work is done. The insurance company probably also has a time table they need to get this completed by.

The lady is right about the cowl coverings. They just come off and on pretty easy. Based on your comments, the no leak warranty is strictly their installation and sealant/adhesive used to install the new windshield. This is pretty standard. This is what they are servicing. The only reason they would have to do anything with the factory water deflector is if it slide off the metal lip it attaches to. Outside of that, they should not have any reason to touch or disturb it. They will remove the coverings, replace the windshield and re-install the coverings.

Since they will have the cowl coverings off, I completely understand your interest in having them replace the air filter and install this other part. The process to install that other part is 10 minutes. I did it on my Monte and my ex-wife's Impala years ago. But from their perspective, they change windshields. GM does not have a service bulletin about this piece (even though they should, it is made for a newer GM car, but happens to fit the 00-05 Monte). And this is something the shop should not be disturbing (it's not like part of the windshield replacement includes "discard old water deflector and install a new one"). That being said, say they modify your car with a 100% proven mod from an enthusiast forum, which is NOT backed by the manufacturer. Let's say suddenly you have a water problem as a result. They have liability problems. The insurance they carry won't support them, they cannot call GM for help with a non-factory supported modification. They are in a big bind.

I do almost all of my own car work (very little I haven't done). I get real nervous when I have to trust my car with a shop, so I get VERY particular about it. So I feel your nervousness about having someone do anything to you car.

At this point, if I were in your shoes:
1. - Have them handle the windshield (as you mentioned they have a lot of great reviews and such).
2. - Find someone handy with cars or a service shop to see if someone can assist with changing the cabin air filter and installing that new piece. Entire process is about 10 minutes for the two items.

Old 11-02-2019, 03:19 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I am betting they are in a rush to complete your windshield replacement because they already ordered the part and they don't get paid until the work is done. The insurance company probably also has a time table they need to get this completed by.

The lady is right about the cowl coverings. They just come off and on pretty easy. Based on your comments, the no leak warranty is strictly their installation and sealant/adhesive used to install the new windshield. This is pretty standard. This is what they are servicing. The only reason they would have to do anything with the factory water deflector is if it slide off the metal lip it attaches to. Outside of that, they should not have any reason to touch or disturb it. They will remove the coverings, replace the windshield and re-install the coverings.

Since they will have the cowl coverings off, I completely understand your interest in having them replace the air filter and install this other part. The process to install that other part is 10 minutes. I did it on my Monte and my ex-wife's Impala years ago. But from their perspective, they change windshields. GM does not have a service bulletin about this piece (even though they should, it is made for a newer GM car, but happens to fit the 00-05 Monte). And this is something the shop should not be disturbing (it's not like part of the windshield replacement includes "discard old water deflector and install a new one"). That being said, say they modify your car with a 100% proven mod from an enthusiast forum, which is NOT backed by the manufacturer. Let's say suddenly you have a water problem as a result. They have liability problems. The insurance they carry won't support them, they cannot call GM for help with a non-factory supported modification. They are in a big bind.

I do almost all of my own car work (very little I haven't done). I get real nervous when I have to trust my car with a shop, so I get VERY particular about it. So I feel your nervousness about having someone do anything to you car.

At this point, if I were in your shoes:
1. - Have them handle the windshield (as you mentioned they have a lot of great reviews and such).
2. - Find someone handy with cars or a service shop to see if someone can assist with changing the cabin air filter and installing that new piece. Entire process is about 10 minutes for the two items.
Love, love, love this! Thank you so very much, not only for expaining their perspective, but also for the two suggestions. I believe I will take them. I'd gone to the place I bought the car yesterday, asked if they would do the install, they said they are an 'affiliate" of Safe-lite Solutions, but not a preferred provider. In other words they'll adhere to the pricing guidelnes, and provide their own warranty, which Progressive won't back. They were busy, I asked briefly, got the guy who sold me the car...he said he would be happy to install the part though if it never had been a problem beore he didn't see why it would be one now...apparently he forgot I've only had it three weeks, hahahaha. Nothing has leaked yet, but I haven't tried washing it and I got the snow off asap. He said ususally cabin air filters are replaced from the inside...(not on this) but were I to bring them the filter and the part they'd happily install both for me and let me pay for that piece of the labor.

My insurance said that until I can talk to a tech and show them and then talk to management for clarification on the warranty...I've not had that opportunity, not to show the tech, not speak to management unless she is the manager of the tiny building. She may very well be, and I've said what her stance is, you were correct. My insurance said I can go anywhere. I liked the idea of gettign the air filter in at the same time since it's torn down, and the deflector may already be there...but that means sending a new referral to that shop and then hoping they can get the glass I want like Britainny at Grrizzly did, Factory green tint though after market, with shade band. She's been very cool right up until I started dragging my feet, wanting her tech to look at it for the claims adjustor, NO, then wanting clarification on the warranty.

While Dyck's will do this air filter piece for me and let me pay separately since it's torn down, and the part if necessary, they are more expensive, don't have a purely glass shop, and I'm afraid in order to meet the guidlines of cost I'd get the cheapest windshield they could find, clear, and possibly someone to practice learning like I got with the radiator installation. Meanwhile I've left Grizzly hanging (did postpone appt) but hanging nonetheless, maybe they have to pay to ship that glass back! That's terrible for me to do to them!

I'll go with your two suggestions. Get it done at the place that does nothing but glass, gets good reviews, has a backed up warranty, and take it up to Dyck's for the airfilter change if I don't come up with more than powder puff tools and just do it myself. Ditto on the part, if I need it, I've no socket wrench. You said the entire process is about ten minutes, Dyck's shouldn't hit me too hard for that. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I NEED EXPERTS, GLAD TO BE HERE!

Last edited by Karenski; 11-02-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: add the ten minutes piece
Old 11-02-2019, 04:02 PM

I don't think that Britainn in the office realizes what kind of time factor is involved with installing a windshield like this one.

TBH, if they're a full blown glass shop, they've seen stuff way more complicated than a monte. Some of these new cars with all kinds of built in wiring and cameras that require calibration and such take far longer than a monte would. Plus there are some cars that require a lot more disassembly work to get to the bare glass.

Originally Posted by Karenski
Get it done at the place that does nothing but glass, gets good reviews, has a backed up warranty, and take it up to Dyck's for the airfilter change if I don't come up with more than powder puff tools and just do it myself.
I agree that's the best route here. After all the effort theyve put in so far, it would be extremely rude to just cancel.

Old 11-02-2019, 07:40 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
[/color]

TBH, if they're a full blown glass shop, they've seen stuff way more complicated than a monte. Some of these new cars with all kinds of built in wiring and cameras that require calibration and such take far longer than a monte would. Plus there are some cars that require a lot more disassembly work to get to the bare glass.

I agree that's the best route here. After all the effort theyve put in so far, it would be extremely rude to just cancel.
Totally agree. They're just a little place, but they specialize in all kinds of glass, and they are a preferred provider of my insurance, and they've been very kind. I know my insurance said I should be able to talk to a tech and to management yesterday when I was anxious about the issue, but it's all set up and ready to go and plus the weather has gotten super cold, that puts a strain on already strained glass, yet another thing I hadn't thought of. I'm very grateful to be here. Thank you to all of you for your patience and kindness.

I have Stanley tools, I just need a socket set...it's the number 10 that's hardest to find, eh?

Old 11-02-2019, 10:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like you have a good plan. As I mentioned, that cabin air filter and the water deflector, all of that is pretty much a 10 minute job. Maybe allow 20 minutes total for someone not 100% familiar with the job. Any decent shop should be able to help you out and should not charge much for labor. It will all work out. As you said, you have not had the car long, there is a chance the original factory water deflector is still in position and no issues. When I bought the pieces to do my Monte and ex-wife's Impala, neither had an issue, but since I saw how much better the new deflector was and how cheap it was, I just wanted to ward off a potential future problem. Turns out days after I bought the pieces, my Monte finally had the problem. Took my cowl cover off and the original deflector had fallen off. Everything worked out perfectly.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:10 PM

Hi Karen

As others have said, the windshield replacement is pretty standard. I didn't read every word of your responses but there is a downloadable .pdf file at the end of the repair guide that has clear photos if you didn't discover it.