Other Professional Racing.. Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

FAREWELL TO SCOTT KALITTA

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 02:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2009
Default FAREWELL TO SCOTT KALITTA

My condolences go out to the Kalitta family,ScottKalittawas a great Drag Racer and his dad is a legend in the sport, Best of wishes to the Kalitta family.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Default RE: FAREWELL TO SCOTT KALITTA

RIP Scott.. you will be missed

Old 06-25-2008, 05:41 AM

it is a shame to lose him he was a verry good guy and a great drag racer!!
RIP SCOTT!!

Old 06-27-2008, 01:51 PM

This was certainly a tragedy. I have to wonder if drag racing, a sportI love, has surpassed the boundry of reasonable safety...can we actually have an acceptable level of safety in a vehicle that goes from 0 - 325+mph in less than 5 seconds? I hope they can come up with changes in technology that will prevent this type of tragedy from happening again.

I work in industrial safety, andI certainly understand thatthere is risk in everything you do. The question is, how much risk are you willing to take? Studies have shown that people will take much higher risksinvolving themselvesthan they will involving others. Thinnk about it: you'll speed, pass other vehicles, runthrough a yellow light, etc. more when you're by yourself than when you have you family in the car with you.Scott was the same way, I'm sure...it's human nature. But I think at this point, it's time for someone, NHRA, maybe, to step in and say, "OK, we're not accepting the level of risks this sport has reached. We're doing somethingabout it before someone else dies."

RIP, Scott. You come from a great family who has contributed much to the sport. Maybe they will lead the way to a safer sport, much as John Force has doneafter his wreck.

One thing: Scott died doing what he truely loved. I hope I can do the same.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

His death could have easily been prevented. The track they ran on was outdated and not long enough for the cars they were running. When his car exploded, he lost all control of it and he never had the chance to slow down before he hit the wall. Our runways at airports are designed to be long enough for a plane to take off plus some more, why cant our racetracks be the same way?