Other Professional Racing.. Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

Can your Monte Beat a 72 Datsun ? : )

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Can your Monte Beat a 72 Datsun ? : )

Hot Rodding an Electric Car: The White Zombie (Video)

by Mac Demere on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 05:31
*** ^ Below artictle written by one of our Member's: Mac Demere. It was on my Valvoline Track Talk NewsLetter...

Quote:
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" itxtNodeId="459" itxtHarvested="1"><TBODY itxtNodeId="461" itxtHarvested="1"><TR itxtNodeId="462" itxtHarvested="1"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2 itxtNodeId="463" itxtHarvested="1">Mac Demere - LinkedIn

Greenville, South Carolina Area - Freelance auto writer, Tire Safety Expert Witness, Product Training

Mac Demere is a freelance automotive writer, vehicle tester, driving instructor, accomplished race driver, 18-wheeler driver and performance driver for ...
www.linkedin.com/in/macdemere
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

“It’s a sign,” old folks used to say when something they witnessed seemed to predict the future. “It’s a sign” that electric cars are on their way to being fully embraced when all-electric cars start showing up at the dragstrip. Those who hot-rod electric cars are what marketing folks call “early adopters” and average people call “nuts,” “super nerds,” or “whackos.” Versions of those names where applied to people who stuffed V8s into Model T chassis back in the 1940s. (Somehow, those who put V8s into 3 Series BMWs or overly shortened the suspension springs of Hondas earned the more respectable-sounding moniker of “tuner.”)
Someone who would build a street-legal electric drag racer capable of running a quarter mile in 10.3 seconds at just over 120 mph is far more of an early adopter (and a car guy) than the Ed Begley Jr. types who acquire, but don’t often drive, a Prius, Leaf or Volt.
John Wayland has converted a 1972 Datsun 1200 Coupe into what he calls the “world’s quickest street-legal car.” (Wayland calls himself “Plasma Boy.” Ladies, that’s a pretty good indication he’s single.)
A video of Plasma Boy’s racing exploits shows him racing—and beating—Corvettes and BMWs among others. One of Wayland’s advantages is that, like every electric car, his makes maximum torque at zero rpm. Combined with the made-for-drag-racing tires, that means the White Zombie launches like a real drag racer every time. It helps that his opponents in the video have the reaction times and shifting skills of cannabis-browsing koalas. (Since the video, a switch to lighter and more potent lithium-ion batteries has allowed Wayland’s car to run much faster.)

<EMBED height=350 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/UAYrsEOxqYc wmode="transparent">
Great Vid & watch the Datsun `Smoke a Vette
</EMBED>Wayland, like most electric car proponents, overstates the environmental benefits of battery vehicles. It would be refreshing if they called them “zero-emissions at tailpipe,” acknowledged the environmental impact of producing (and disposing of) batteries, and spoke honestly about other downsides of all-electric cars. That’s okay. Hot rodders and tuners rarely mention or are concerned with the downsides of their creations.
The bottom line: Anyone who enjoys producing and driving a car as fast as the White Zombie is a real car guy.

Last edited by Space; 02-14-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:02 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Sweet. Now I want a Datsun. (not really)

Old 02-14-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS
Sweet. Now I want a Datsun. (not really)
LOL `Greg, I think the Beast could beat `it
I do love the way the Datsun comes `off the line 4-Sure...
It was a fun/educational vid 4 me : ) , but I would sure miss the sounds of hearing a Monster V8 4-Real Sure...

Old 02-14-2011, 12:08 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

You're up awful early aren't you?

Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 PM

..Yes `Greg, I had 2 get `up 4 a late arriving truck , but I'm going back in2 recharge mode & get a few more Z's...
I don't have 2 be back 2 work until 6 PM : )
It was the last truck that was delayed because of the bad weather up `North. Now we have all our orders up 2 date : )
Play'in on the forum keeps me awake while I wait...
Not complaining & I'm just thankful/happy 2 have a `job : )
OK, back to Racing & Dreaming `bout SuperCars : )
Peace/Out from `Space : )

Old 02-19-2011, 12:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

Thats damn fast Awesome

Old 03-01-2011, 06:31 AM

the big reason why alot of people dont like all elcetric cars is this the batteries are the caughst of the car. if it was more affordible like getting a brand new or slightly used engine there would be more out there. the popularity is there but it is not popular about the batteries. i do like how the pure electric is super fast

Old 03-23-2011, 01:47 PM

I don't know.. My Monte downshifts into 2nd when going up a slight hill.. It's the 3.4L though..