Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

XM Radio suddenly works!!!????

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
I fear that satellite radio will do to radio what cable has done to television. Cable for all practical purposes has eliminated free tv. I think free radio is going the way of the dinosaur.
Free radio's biggest enemy is iPods, Internet and GPS systems. Radio in the past survived on commercials and introducing new music artists to sell records. People would listen to the radio to hear what's new, what's on sale in town and how the drive time traffic is.

Now we download music and use social networks to hear new stuff, filter ads online to find the lowest costs and plug in a GPS to see the live traffic.

I really hate when the economy is so bad that the stations can't sell enough commercials and I am treated to the same mattress ad several times an hour.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
When we had our 2007 Malibu it had satellite radio. We subscribed from time to time. During the times that we didn't subscribe the radio would alternately have one ot two stations turned on to entice us to re subscribe.
I fear that satellite radio will do to radio what cable has done to television. Cable for all practical purposes has eliminated free tv. I think free radio is going the way of the dinosaur.
I don't know. I don't necessarily think so. As long as the free radio stations have programming worth while, there will always be people listening. Besides, why should people pay for satellite radio when they can play their mp3's in the car for free?

The advantage satellite radio has is live programming. Sports, talk radio, etc. But if all you want is music, it's cheaper to just load all your favorite music into an mp3 player.