Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

WTH....Air freshener ate my mirror!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by werewolf-odst
Ok this is really not funny, but i giggled a little. That is messed up, i would have set the air freshner on fire. dang, how you figure that is ate into your mirrior?
I wanted to set the dumb thing on fire but I thought about what chemicals would be released lol. If it can eat plastic there must be some crazy stuff in there.

Originally Posted by burgundybullet
You're lucky it didn't eat your wire coating off. But that is terrible what happened from it.
That's true. I didn't think about that until you mentioned it. I checked and the wires seem fine thank goodness.

Originally Posted by Possum
The same thing happened to me, right after I bought the car (there's a thread here somewhere about it). I also like good smells around me at all times, so I hung a Yankee Candle car air freshener on my air vent and it ate into the plastic on the front of the dashboard. I couldn't remove the marks and ended up covering them with black vinyl pin striping tape. I wish now I'd written to the company - please keep us updated if you hear anything more from them.
Oh no! I would be so upset. At least you could hide it with the pin striping. I am going to be much more careful about where I put air fresheners from now on. I think they are all going on my emergency brake pedal where they can't touch any plastic or hurt anything.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 PM

Good news!! I sent the company everything they wanted and I heard back from them and they are sending me a $200 check! They said they could either send the check or I could take it to the dealer and an independent shop and have it quoted to be fixed and then send them the invoices. I just said I would take the check. I was very surprised at the amount they offered. That was there first offer and I didn't have to argue or anything. I thanked them for their time and also thanked them for standing behind their product. Now lets see if the check actually makes it to my house lol.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Awesome, just be careful so the next one doesn't eat you in the process!

Old 01-18-2013, 06:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

That's awesome news!
Goes to show, if you are polite and reasonable, companies well try to make things right.

As for hanging air fresheners on e-brake pedal.... Keep in mind, if the chemicals can damage plastic, they could discolor carpet.

I honestly think your situation was a fluke (either with that specific air freshener OR maybe that specific product line).

Thanks for keeping us updated

Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 AM

Congratulations!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Now go get a $30 junk yard mirror and then modify with the rest

Old 01-18-2013, 05:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

that is crazy, I cant believe it ate into the mirror like that. It's good to hear that the company took care of it like they did tho. I always use a pump spray or aerosol air freshener sprayed by the floor mats. I have also used the little bags of crystals that you put under the seat

Old 01-19-2013, 07:32 AM

I discovered this trick accidentally, coming home from the grocery store: open a new box of fabric softener sheets and stick it under the seat or just put it on the floor in back . The fresh scent lasts for a couple of weeks, then you can use the sheets in the laundry.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:16 AM

Did you save the air freshener that did the damage? If I was the company, I would ask that it be sent back so it could be analyzed. Do you have the original packaging? Did it come with 1 air freshener or was it a 3 pack? Was there a lot # printed on the part or the packaging? This is all good info for the company to assess how many bad pieces they may have produced.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Now go get a $30 junk yard mirror and then modify with the rest
That is exactly what I am going to do lol. I found a couple on ebay between $30 and $50.

Originally Posted by Possum
I discovered this trick accidentally, coming home from the grocery store: open a new box of fabric softener sheets and stick it under the seat or just put it on the floor in back . The fresh scent lasts for a couple of weeks, then you can use the sheets in the laundry.
That is a good idea! I love the smell of fresh laundry.

Originally Posted by brewcitymc
Did you save the air freshener that did the damage? If I was the company, I would ask that it be sent back so it could be analyzed. Do you have the original packaging? Did it come with 1 air freshener or was it a 3 pack? Was there a lot # printed on the part or the packaging? This is all good info for the company to assess how many bad pieces they may have produced.
I didn't save the one that did the damage. I threw the dumb thing away. I still have some though because it was a three pack. The company honestly didn't seem interested in examining the product at all. They just seemed more interested in paying me and getting it over with.

Quick Reply: WTH....Air freshener ate my mirror!!