Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Word of Warning!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation Word of Warning!!!

Good afternoon everyone... I've attached a picture of my interior, in particular the racing pedal set-up... Here is what happened to me yesterday... I put some low profile winter matts in and didn't bother to check the clearance of the raised lip and the accelerator pedal travel... I was driving in the city about 60km/hr and when I let my foot off the gas the pedal stuck at 4000 rpm (I was going slow, but accellerating quickly)... I had trouble applying brute force to the brakes and finally had to switch off the engine during braking (the power assist brakes get very heavy quickly)... I managed to stop the car safely, but still had no idea what was wrong, I started it again and it was revving at 4000rpm... I quickly figured out what was wrong and corrected (the mat had pushed forward)... My main point here is, if my 17yr old son or wife were driving, it might have ended badly... I've had muscle cars most of my life, and have done some crazy things with them including a broken throtle spring on my GTO while doing donuts in the snow, needless to say, nothing like this has ever happenned... Word to the wise, it can and did... Thanks,

Attached Thumbnails Word of Warning!!!-dash.jpg  

Last edited by Crusader SS; 12-11-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:38 PM

That's the reason why I threw away those thin Chevy-autzone mats.
They're aren't heavy enough to stay in place so they would slide under the pedals and i was concerned something like that would happen when my wife or I would drive it.
I threw them away and kept the carpet mats instead, alot heavier and safer.
Glad you're alright.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Next time pop it into Neutral and then apply the brakes. Only applying the brakes will not be as effective as braking while in neutral. Thats why all those Toyota crashes happened, because their drivers didnt have the sense to put the car into neutral.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by mrl390
Next time pop it into Neutral and then apply the brakes. Only applying the brakes will not be as effective as braking while in neutral. Thats why all those Toyota crashes happened, because their drivers didnt have the sense to put the car into neutral.
I hear ya man, but being a gear head at heart, I was more worried about replacing an engine than a few pads and/or rotors... I would have though if my family was driving or in the car...

Old 12-11-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
That's the reason why I threw away those thin Chevy-autzone mats.
They're aren't heavy enough to stay in place so they would slide under the pedals and i was concerned something like that would happen when my wife or I would drive it.
I threw them away and kept the carpet mats instead, alot heavier and safer.
Glad you're alright.
You're right, I threw them away... I'll shampoo the carpet when Spring comes...

Old 12-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Last winter I bought a set of Michelin rubber mats from Costco. These are super heavy winter mats and have the channels to help keep the water away from your pants. I made sure they fit properly around the gas pedal. Love `em. They didn't slide around on me. And I only had to shampoo the little strip of carpet between the sill and the rubber mat.

I'm glad everything came out okay. Thanks for the warning. This is not just a heads up on floor mats. It's also a heads up on the aftermarket "dress-up" pedals too.

I wanted to transfer the bolt on pedals I had on my Grand Am. Only to find that they wouldn't fit properly. I hated that I wasn't able to put on the fancy black & red pedals since the factory pedals are kinda boring and ugly. But I suppose I would look kinda ugly after crashing into a tree or something because of my ill-fitting aftermarket pedals.

Thanks for the heads-up Crusader! Way to go on the quick thinking!

Old 12-11-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
Last winter I bought a set of Michelin rubber mats from Costco. These are super heavy winter mats and have the channels to help keep the water away from your pants. I made sure they fit properly around the gas pedal. Love `em. They didn't slide around on me. And I only had to shampoo the little strip of carpet between the sill and the rubber mat.

I'm glad everything came out okay. Thanks for the warning. This is not just a heads up on floor mats. It's also a heads up on the aftermarket "dress-up" pedals too.

I wanted to transfer the bolt on pedals I had on my Grand Am. Only to find that they wouldn't fit properly. I hated that I wasn't able to put on the fancy black & red pedals since the factory pedals are kinda boring and ugly. But I suppose I would look kinda ugly after crashing into a tree or something because of my ill-fitting aftermarket pedals.

Thanks for the heads-up Crusader! Way to go on the quick thinking!
Agree totally... As we endeavour to improve performance and looks, we've also got to be very mindful of consequences... I checked thoroughly the travel parameters of the after market pedals installation for perfomance and functionality, but lacked to check safety tolerences when winter conditions dictated a change in floor covering... Word to the wise..

Old 12-11-2010, 06:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Taz !! I bought the same mats. But at Sam's Club. great looking and the fit real nice front to back & side to side. best ones I ever had.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:04 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Great info. I never would have thought of that happening. Glad you (and the car) are okay.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Costco? Thats a real place!? I thought that was a fake movie store lol. Never ever seen a Costco.

Quick Reply: Word of Warning!!!