Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

The Winter Beater is Wrecked

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 09:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default The Winter Beater is Wrecked

Well, unless the insurance company surprises me, the winter beater, my 2002 Grand Am is totaled. I was running an errand after work, the road I was on has a small shift to the left (it feels like inches) and apparently, that part of the road was solid ice. The car slide back and forth and I was pulsing the brake, small steering corrections, hoping to get'er going straight again and it finally decided to slide into oncoming traffic. Passenger side got T-boned.

The other guy and I are fine. His car looks like it should be no problem to fix. anyone can see by the pics, mine is toast. But, I did drive it home!! It felt like it drove OK (much to my surprise). No pulling, no weird noise. But I can tell, the body is tweaked. Only 1 door opens (my door).

Attached Thumbnails The Winter Beater is Wrecked-img_8057.jpg   The Winter Beater is Wrecked-img_8062.jpg   The Winter Beater is Wrecked-img_8059.jpg   The Winter Beater is Wrecked-img_8058.jpg   The Winter Beater is Wrecked-img_8060.jpg  

Old 02-05-2014, 09:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Man that sucks glad your OK along with the other person involved. Cars can be replaced!

Old 02-05-2014, 09:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Jason:
That totally sucks!

The important thing is that you and the other guy are ok...
Cars can be replaced, body parts, life and Limbs cant...
Take it from me I know first hand about what happens when you get T-Boned!

Sorry about your ride....
So relieved that your ok! I hope come tomorrow morning you still feel ok as well... Once the adrenalin wears off.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Sorry to hear about your car Jason, but glad to hear you and the other driver are ok

Old 02-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

See now you will know enough from now on to go straight home after work and not go to the strip joints er I mean running errands. That totally blows you lost your Grand Am, I remember you just got new tail lights for her and have really took pretty good care of her. Sad to see this come to an end, this is not going to look good on your resume!! Tough break bud...

Old 02-06-2014, 05:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

Ya, I would say that looks pretty screwed. Probably pretty good thing you were alone in the car. Its kinda weird how far its pushed it, but little paint damage. Glad your okay and I hope you feel as well in the morning

Old 02-06-2014, 07:41 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

First, glad you're okay Jason.

That is definitely a write off by the insurance company. My dad's previous car got Tboned years ago with the same amount of damage. Insurance company just wrote it off based on the age of the car (15 years old). I think they get a little write-off happy sometimes.

I guess you're lucky it was the winter beater, and not a vehicle you care about more. Like your Monte, the Jaguar, or the Maybach. j/k

Any plans for another winter beater?

Old 02-06-2014, 07:50 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad you and the other guy are both ok, that could have been a lot worse then that and at least it was the beater car and not the monte carlo. haha. That ice can be pain, I have wrecked my car in the ice before. Hopefully everything stays ok from here on out.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

That sucks jason, glad to hear your OK. Beater or not a car still grows on you and it sucks when you lose something yoi have put alot of work into. But atleast your ok, like everyone said, cars can be replaced. Hope you get another faithful car to replace it.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the well wishes. I've had more then my fair share of fender benders.

As far as the car goes, the biggest thing I am sad about is the work I put into this ride when I first bought it (it was a bit of mess). If anyone wants to see that info, check this part of my web site:
'02 Pontiac Grand Am GT Ram Air

I'm prepared for insurance to total the GT out. By the same, I could care less if they fix it (they fix it, I pay my deductible, I don't have to shop for a car, and I know it is possible to bounce back from a mess like this, but it's never easy).

I'm not wasting any time, I'm getting things mapped out for transportation and looking for replacements. I was fortunate that my car pooling friend was driving me in today.

I talked to my insurance company and I'll admit, I am somewhat ignorant of parts of my insurance. Like the part when the girl told me I have rental car on my policy!!! WAHOO!!! I get a rental!!! I will have it until the car is fixed OR totaled (at which point I'm told insurance stops paying for the rental 7 days after it's declared a total).

Regardless of how I feel about the car, the insurance company would like me to take it to a body shop of my choosing (which I'm taking it to the crew that fixed my Monte correctly over this past summer). We'll see what happens (I take it in tonight after work).

Quick Reply: The Winter Beater is Wrecked