Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Windows 8

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 03:28 AM

Coming from someone with somewhat of a networking background, the primary reason Apples don't get hit with many viruses is because they still make up such a small share of the computer market overall and aren't nearly as cost effective to attack.

Apples OS's are absolutely TERRIBLE for networking. Why you ask? Because Apple doesn't like the idea of someone being able to remotely control one of their computers. This is why, unless Apple ever changes this stance, the DOD (and any other government agency for that matter) will never go to iPhones or any computer systems with an apple based OS because they require the ability to remotely wipe to secure information if need be. The ability to set up exactly how you need your network for your purposes is why Windows is the most common for large scale networks.

The downside to this is since Windows makes up the large majority of large scale corporate networks, most of the effort to crack security measures is going to be focused on that OS, because from a thief's point of view, that's where the lion's share of the money is to be made.

Trust me, you can crack the Apple OS. I've seen it done. Because it's not cost effective though, it just doesn't happen nearly as often. But it's been done just to prove a point that the "security" of the Apple OS's is more of a myth than anything.

That being said, back to the original subject. I don't like the new windows phone setup. I didn't mind the older ones that looked somewhat like XP, but this new one is ridiculous. If I'm gonna have a tablet (and I do), I'm sticking with Android over anything. I don't mind 7 all that terribly much. I like it better than Vista but not as much as XP.

As far as the hardware goes. I'm not paying that kind of a money for similar hardware capabilities. The OS alone isn't worth nearly twice the price for a similarly spec'd PC. Screw that. I can build a system for even cheaper than I can buy a PC out of the box and it'll be far more secure.

Even my current Windows 7 laptop is running much like it did straight out of the box and I bought it almost a year and a half ago. I haven't had to do much with it over that time and have no problems with it.

Last edited by SupplySgt; 01-28-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:24 PM

When I could use my computer I used it for surfing the Internet and downloading music. My computer is an older IBM THINKPAD with Windows 98 or XP. I'm not very computer literate and I expect a device to do the same thing each time I use it. Think of it this way. What good is a can opener that doesn't open cans? If I push key A and then key B I should get to C every time. A computer doesn't do that reliably. I am consistant with what I do with my computer. I don't use it for gaming or for office type functions. From everything I have read in this thread it sounds like a Mac will serve me well.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:30 PM

That's a crap ton of money to pay for a computer that you just browse the internet and download music with Gregg. Just being completely blunt and honest.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:15 PM

Honestly, I've never had any problems learning/getting used to the new functions of every new Windows operating system. If you know how to use one, the basics still apply. I just went from Vista to 7 and it still works basically the same way, only with added features. I'm mainly an internet user though, so I might be missing some of the more complex changes.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

My view on mac's is as follows... They're worth your money if you're a graphic design student, website builder or multimedia person. Otherwise you're just paying a fortune for something that isn't worth your money. Gregg, dont buy a mac if you just surf the web, complete waste of money. I think some people buy mac's just to say they bought one, like a status symbol. For practicality i wont buy one, windows serves me well, it supports more devices and software too.

I just recently upgraded my laptop from vista to 7. I must say, i'm glad the upgrade was free for me. got a package through my school. To me there is almost no difference aside from some visual things. Sure theres some added features but i havent really used anything new.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:02 PM

Digging down deeper it appears that 7 uses up less system resources than Vista did. That's just based off what I've seen. Frees up more resources for other things. I've also noticed that the DOD software that I have to use for Army stuff works better with 7 than it did with Vista as well.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thats the other thing i've heard, 7 suposidly uses less system resources to run. I havent really noticed a difference though

Old 01-28-2012, 03:48 PM

I've compared my Vista desktop (which I use mainly for media storage anymore) vs my 7 laptop and it does use less resources. I usually have a ton of stuff running at any given time, especially during severe weather situations and it makes a big difference then.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I will never switch to Apple, you can get an apple macbook pro running an i5, 250 gb hdd and 4gb ram for double the price as a windows computer with the same stats and everything.

Apple overprices everything and people pay for the name.

Keeping your computer fast is simple if you know what you're doing, i think Windows 8 will be pretty user friendly which is what they're going for, but for those that know or do more with computers, it's not so good.

Like I said before I will stay with 64-bit windows 7 unless i figure out that there's more you can do with windows 8 and there's some sort of benefit. but as of now it takes more resources and doesnt work as well.

If you like the apple operating system, find a friend that knows what they're doing and get a windows computer and make it run mac os x

Old 01-28-2012, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
That's a crap ton of money to pay for a computer that you just browse the internet and download music with Gregg. Just being completely blunt and honest.
Drew I don't have any problem spending money for a quality product. The Apple that I want is running around 3500. I have spent good money on pc's before and have not been happy with the performance a few years down the road. My choice is more of the say with another pc or try something different. It is time for a change.

Quick Reply: Windows 8