Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

The wife and I may be Impala Owners soon!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 07:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default The wife and I may be Impala Owners soon!

So I think I am on the borderline of crazy.
A friend of mine (Jeff), works for a company getting rid of a couple of fleet cars and a car the company provided an executive to commute from Erie PA to Mayfield OH (not sure the daily miles, but I am sure it's a LOT and I'm told all freeway).

We're looking to buy the exec's car, which is:
- '05 Imapala with the 3400 v6
- Fully loaded with exception of no sun roof
- Silver with light tan interior
- 150,000 miles!

They want $500 for the car. The wife and I are looking to buy it because her '94 Grand Am (her former daily driver, turned winter beater in '07 when she got an '01 Mustang we park for the winter), I am not sure how much longer it's worth pushing the car (it has 177K miles on it, but the body rot is getting to me).

We are told the only known problem with the Impala is a transmission problem (when the car is cold it lacks get up and go, warms up and drives fine, described like it's slipping). We looked at the car yesterday night (as my friend's work needs a decision this morning). Unfortunately my friend did not have the key to the car, but his company left it unlocked. The body is like new, the interior, like new. We popped the hood, needs an oil change, checked the trans fluid and it's BLACK.

I should know later today if we are owners of this Impala. If we are, I plan to have a friend's work flush the trans fluid, drive it a little and then change the fluid and filter. If that does not do it, I have a friend stuck with a GM rebuilt transmission for this drive train that would run me $550 to buy it off her. Other then that, give it this Impala a little TLC (such as plugs, wires, and some other items). And we would sell the wife's current Grand Am.

I'm very familiar with the top half of the 3100 v6 (we have two cars now with it, and I've helped other wrench on theirs), and the 3400 in this Impala is pretty much the same engine. I am pretty comfortable with any wrench work this car may need from head gaskets up.

I think if things pan out, this car could be an awesome winter beater for $500!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:28 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Not a bad deal at all. Even if there's quite a bit of work involved, it should be well worth the price. Good luck!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:35 AM

Sounds like a great find. After all, the Impala is just a four-door Monte, right?? If a new tranny is all it needs, that's not bad for the price. Good luck.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:01 AM

10 Year Member

Thanks guys. I think this will be. My friend called me around 8:30. He got to start it, sounds OK (but it has a whirring noise he said, sounds like a pulley and to be honest, any pulley on that is easy to address). He drove it and it drove fine. This is a friend who I value his input.
It does have a Check Engine Light on. But I think we can figure out what it is and fix it. Again, $500.

And I like you're comment Sparky.... Yeah, it's close enough to a 4-door Monte. I think the wife will love it once I can tend to some issues with it.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

You can't beat the price...$500 is less than pretty much any repair you would have done at a dealer. Since you can do most of it yourself, the repairs won't cost you that much. 3400's are known for intake gaskets and head gaskets, so you might have to do those, but thats actually a cheap repair when you can do it yourself.

Even if you need a new tranny for $550, the overall cost of the car is still just over $1,000 which is way below blue book value.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:22 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
You can't beat the price...$500 is less than pretty much any repair you would have done at a dealer. Since you can do most of it yourself, the repairs won't cost you that much. 3400's are known for intake gaskets and head gaskets, so you might have to do those, but thats actually a cheap repair when you can do it yourself.

Even if you need a new tranny for $550, the overall cost of the car is still just over $1,000 which is way below blue book value.
Blue Book, per KBB.com is just crazy high (I say that given the miles on the car).

As for head/intake gaskets, the 3100 and 3400 is more well known for intake gaskets. I've been there done that on a couple 3100's (and I've done head gaskets on my '94 Grand Am October of '09 at 180K miles). This has given me a LOT of comfort that the top half of that engine is cake to wrench on.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:54 AM

,,Super find ~> SuperSuper Deal 4-Sure...
I don't think you could go wrong @ that price...
We will be looking forward to your updates & hopefully some pictures....I think it's a great Xmas gift 4 U & family...
Wish you the best & I hope you can get it...
Good Luck

Old 12-08-2010, 11:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Congrats on the car and a killer price man.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Let me know if they have more. I need a beater so I can give my Monte a break.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 PM

10 Year Member

It's no longer an "if". I spoke to my buddy, it's mine! His work has to transfer the title to an employee (being him). Then he transfers it to me. But the deal has been secured!
Sometimes I look at this thinking I am crazy, because I am facing my job being outsourced 12/31 (so what does my house hold do, we buy a car). HAHA! Seriously, I think this is a worth while cause to get the wife out of that beat up old '94 Grand Am. It's still serving well, but I'm reaching my limits with the body rot on the Grand Am.

This Impala is CLEAN (admittedly, engine needs a detailer's touch, but most of them do). Amanda (the wife) is really excited. I have two weeks off at the end of the year (last of my paid time off, guess I get to play Mr. Goodwrench on an Impala, haha).

Quick Reply: The wife and I may be Impala Owners soon!