Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

why do people not take care of their cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 04:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Some people dont care and thats why there buying new cars every couple of years and we dont. We just mod and mod

Old 06-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by myfirstbowtie
I don't understand it either. Especially when I see people driving cars that cost $40K and up, and they don't take care of them. Where I live, it seems like almost everyone is driving around in an Acura, Infiniti, Lexus, BMW or Mercedes. I look at some of these cars on the road, and they're dirty, sometimes have scrapes on the doors or bumpers, and sometimes the back bumper is all dinged up and scratched. But I think that the people around here who drive those cars really aren't car people. They buy them not because they're driving enthusiasts who really enjoy getting behind the wheel of their cars, but because they want to fit in; they have to show everyone else that they've got the money to buy these cars. It's all about status. Like Space said, they don't really give up or sacrifice to get the cars... money comes easy (too easy, if you ask me) to them, so they don't really appreciate what they have. Instead of putting in a little elbow grease once in a while and getting out and washing, waxing, etc, when their cars get a little banged up, they'll just go out and get a new one.

All the more reason why I like driving my American-made Monte Carlo: because it's not what all of the stuck up, self-important a$$holes around here drive.
I agree with what you said 100%. But just to clarify, your 2006 Monte is Canadian made. Built in Oshawa, Ontario.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Yeah Lou but we all know Canada is just America's hat.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:55 PM

im glad to see im not the only one who is bothered by stuff like this. lol

i live in a very upstanding county... im not rich and im not high class by no means. lol but all the other kids have rich parents that buy them brand new cars. they either wreck them or just let them get unbearably filthy.

when i bought my Monte, i had to get a job and save up the downpayment. now im making my own car payments and insurance. i filler up every 2 weeks and pay for the upkeep and maintnance.

i love my car to death, and i couldnt imagine letting it get that bad

plus, the guy that owned it before me took very good care of it and it was basically new when i got it. i would feel guilty to let it get that bad

Old 06-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mrl390
Yeah Lou but we all know Canada is just America's hat.
Uhh... Thanks..... I think.

I was going to say something, but it's not really appropriate for this forum.

But back on topic.

I know a few people who don't have a second thought about taking care of their car. They only fill it with gas and that's it. Never get the oil changed. Never do any maintenance of any kind. Then they call it a piece of crap.

But I've noticed a lot of people who lease expensive cars like the one's you mention. Then can't keep up the payments, and get repo'ed. So not all of them are affording those cars.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
I know a few people who don't have a second thought about taking care of their car. They only fill it with gas and that's it. Never get the oil changed. Never do any maintenance of any kind. Then they call it a piece of crap.
Couldnt have said it better myself. People think that you can just turn the key and go and their car should last forever. If you treat something like a piece of crap, well guess what its gonna end up being a piece of crap. I worked on a brand new BMW X3 a couple months ago that looked like it was 10 years old because of sheer neglect. I also just finished a 2011 kia sorento that was disgustingly filthy and every panel on it was either dented or scratched. I think when I washed it before I painted it, that was the first bath it had ever gotten, and when I washed it before it left, that will probably be the last until its wrecked again.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:35 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by milrlyt
Why eat if I'll just get hungry again.
Why go to bed if I'll just wake up again.
And so on...

It wouldn't get dirty if they kept it relatively clean all the time.

I am just going to assume you've told them all of this and they look at you like you're speaking Arabic.
Hahah exactly.

I agree with what everyone is saying, it just bugs me. People give me **** about my grand prix with the whole in the door and the primer. They call that a piece of crap when I actually wash it/ work on it more then they do in their 05+ vehicle haha.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

i think the worst is when there is litterially so much garbage/crap it litterially is up to the botom of the window, it looks like the car is lowered and the only place to sit is the driver seat

This was my brothers 01 sl2 he bought it for $400 buck he said it was just nasty and he found cig butts in every crook and crany, the carpet was black when i started
Before (DURRING PRE TREATING)

After

Last edited by Budsjlm; 06-26-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:47 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's coming to an end now, but a lot of people were putting on the image that they made a lot of money and were doing well wehn they were really living on credit nad knew that if anything went bad in the economy, they were screwed.

On the original car,as a classic car owner and an enthusaist myself, I hate to see a classic go to waste. Although I understand that sometimes people are so busy and they jsut can't take the time away from something else to care for their car. We have a '93 Chevroelt truck that we ran the crap out of as a work truck and now it is going to waste with a blown engine. If anyone wants it, I'll be happy to sell it to you.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:48 PM

Same with my old Monte. When I had a square of bondo over where I'd fix up the rust every six months, people would call my car a piece of crap, it's not that great, why don't I just get rid of it, etc etc.

First of all, it's cause my car is my car, not 'mommy and daddy's', and I actually care about it
Second, I put more work into it in a day than they do in a month.

Therefore, it is a f*ing great car, end of story.

Quick Reply: why do people not take care of their cars?