Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>What are your rights during police encounters​?<

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question >What are your rights during police encounters​?<

What are your rights during police encounters​?

Hi Member's,
With what is happening in our Society today I thought that
this would be worth posting.

I still believe that the majority of police officer's are good and
have a very difficult and dangerous jobs.

I believe many have become human garbage collector's, & yes I believe that there are a few that cross the line & abuse
their powers. I believe those that discredit their badge should be removed & dealt with accordingly.

Please don't judge `all by the acts of a few.

I believe most recent incidents involved the subject(s) violating
the laws of our country.

I believe for the safety of all that all street police officer should
now be wearing body cam's to protect themselves
and the alleged violator(s) of the crime (s)

I hope our leaders in power and the judicial system can improve
our system of justice for `all.

I hope/pray that the parents/teachers/mentors/clergymen/role models can teach & instill
to their children/students to obey the laws of the country &
to peacefully protest/act on the laws that they believe
are unfair/unjust...`amen
I also hope that adults in our country can set a good example & obey the laws.
The Police are the public servants of the people.
I believe they want a peaceful country/world.
We should not be at war with the police,
we must support those that protect us &
work together to resolve the present issues.
People must be involved to make positive change.
Your Thoughts ?
===========
USA Today Network Tory Hargro and Lori Grisham, USA TODAY Network 2:01 p.m. EST December 9, 2014

Your rights during police encounters?(Photo: Jeff Dionise, USA TODAY)

Questions have emerged about individual rights when engaging with law enforcement. USA TODAY Network posed a handful of these questions to five legal experts.

Name:  LF6QXWv.png
Views: 3
Size:  34.3 KB

A: If you disobey a police officer's order to leave, you may be arrested. But is the order legal? It depends on why the officer is asking. If you are disrupting traffic, on private property without permission, or otherwise breaking the law, then the order is legal. But if the officer is requesting that you leave a public space because he or she disagrees with your message, the order is not legal.
There are a multitude of laws regulating public roadways that ensure pedestrian safety and the free flow of traffic. If you break those, police can order you to leave the roadway, but you can congregate legally on the sidewalk.
Name:  ymg3crv.png
Size:  28.8 KB

A: It is legal to openly record on-duty police officers in public spaces. Some state laws may prohibit filming anyone in a public space without their consent, but there is doubt about whether those laws are constitutional. However, an officer may arrest you if you are obstructing an investigation.
Name:  AiwutEf.png
Size:  35.4 KB

A: There are limited circumstances under which an officer can search someone without a warrant who is not under arrest. They are:
• Voluntary consent. If an officer asks you for permission to search you or your possessions and you voluntarily say yes, the officer has the right to do so.
• Reasonable suspicion. If police have reasonable suspicion that you are engaged in criminal activity, they may stop you briefly. If they have reasonable suspicion that you may be carrying a weapon, they may pat you down for weapons. However, they may not conduct a full search unless they have probable cause to arrest you.
There are other exceptions for when police can search a home or a car and its passengers.
.oembed-asset-photo-image { width: 100%; }Name:  qYquRAD.png
Size:  34.3 KB

A: The government has the right to impose curfews in certain emergency situations to protect the lives, safety and property of citizens. However, it is unconstitutional if the curfew is imposed only to prevent a peaceable assembly.
Name:  IsLh5tm.png
Size:  35.9 KB

A: This is considered a voluntary encounter. The officer has the same right to request that you speak to him as any other person would, but you do not have to answer, nor do you have to stop. Ask the officer if you are free to go. If police have reasonable suspicion to believe you are engaged in a crime, they may detain you briefly to investigate.
Sources: Paul D. Butler, professor at Georgetown Law; Daniel J. Haus, attorney; Roger Goldman, professor emeritus at Saint Louis University School of Law; Orin S. Kerr, professor at the George Washington University Law School; Kenneth White, attorney

Last edited by Space; 12-10-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

• Member's, it is your responsibility to know the law ?
  • The internet is a good place to search for the laws that can affect you & your family.
  • I use Google Search
  • I wish that everyone could obey the laws of our country & work together to change the laws that are unfair/unjust...Check out a few links I found on Google.
  • "There are consequences for all our acts: Good & Bad
  • Your Choice
  • Know Your Rights: What To Do If You're Stopped By Police ... <Click

https://www.aclu.org/...law...rights.../kno...

American Civil Liberties Union

This card provides tips for interacting with police and understanding your rights. Note: Some state laws may vary. Separate rules apply at checkpoints and when .

• Police Encounters - Know My Rights <Click

www.knowmyrights.org › Knowledgebase › FAQs

Don't expect an officer to tell you of your right not to consent. .... property, during a traffic stop police only need probable cause to legally search your vehicle.
The MCF wants our member's to know & obey our MCF Rules & the laws of our country. Thanks for reading!

p.s. I'm not a lawyer, but I have one & they are very expensive. It does pay to know the laws that apply to you, your family & property.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I believe in not gambling with my `freedom. I don't like cages 4-Sure! I'm thankful for my freedom of choice. I choose to obey the laws of our country. I will work peacefully to change the laws that I believe are wrong for me & the ones I love.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recommend contacting a attorney if you have legal problems & not rely on the `Web. Thank You & Be Safe/Smart out there on your Journey of life...I go in `Peace!

Last edited by Space; 12-10-2014 at 01:37 PM.