Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

? What type of Motorcycle do you have/`ride ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 05:43 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question ? What type of Motorcycle do you have/`ride ?

Hi Member's,
What do you ride ? Post & let us know `OK.
Pictures are a plus +

================================
Would you want 2 ride the below one ?

The Moto Guzzi California might be a cruiser that converts you

An Italian cruiser tries to convert an American non-believer.

By Alexander George August 5, 2014 / Photos by Moto Guzzi

Cruiser motorcycles are heavy, wide, and expensive, and to me, that always meant that they lack the qualities that make motorcycles wonderfully different from the automobile. It's similarly easy to dismiss their riders as attention-seekers with loud tailpipes, or members of motorcycle clubs riding in formation to the terror of motorists.
Worried that prejudices were keeping me from enjoying something I didn't understand, I accepted an invitation to ride through Malibu on the flagship cruiser from Moto Guzzi, one of the world's great motorcycle manufacturers. It took a sunny Friday morning spent in the namesake state of the bike to understand what it could do on the highway, and on winding turns and hairpin corners.
RELATED: This is the 2015 Indian Scout
As Europe's oldest continuously operating motorcycle manufacturer (93 years), Moto Guzzi is uniquely positioned to make a cruiser that shakes up the category. For one thing they're locally made. At a time when illustrious British (Triumph) and Austrian (KTM) brands have their parts, or entire bikes, made in Thailand and India, Moto Guzzi fabricates its machines at a factory at the feet of Lake Como, surrounded by their oval test track. That origin story, combined with low production numbers gives the bikes an artisanal, esoteric appeal. Park out in front of Alice's Restaurant in California or the Ace Cafe in England and you'll see Harleys and Hondas, but few Guzzis. Maybe it's narcissistic, but having a motorcycle that no one else is riding can make you feel like it was made especially for you.
The ride on the California feels, as you might expect, wonderfully idiosyncratic. It has a typical cruiser seating position with your feet and hands forward, but your knees share space with the 1380-cc V-twin engine. A twist of the throttle in neutral pulls the bike to the right as the shaft drive rotates faster—a unique trait that, for however many thousand of these bikes wind up in the United States, can make you feel like yours is the only one in the world. Feeling apart from the world of automobiles is a reason to love motorcycles, and riding a strange and rare two-wheeler is an extension of that sentiment. I'm not alone; just look at the prices people pay for custom choppers.
Moto GuzziRELATED: Testing the Skully AR-1 heads-up display helmet
For all that character that makes it different from its cruiser peers, the California is still an enormous beast. In Touring trim ($18,490) with panniers and a non-removable windshield, the bike weighs in at 710 pounds dry; the stripped-back 1400 Custom ($15,490) is 661 pounds. Raising the kickstand and exiting the banked parking lot at low speeds was the most anxious I've ever been on a motorcycle, on or off a track. The California, like many bikes built for going far at steady speeds, is clumsy at stop lights and back-in parking, where strong legs and focus are the only things that prevent you from dropping this metal sculpture. Balancing at a stoplight, the enormous cylinders rapidly oscillating the seat and handlebars, can feel like the beginning of a slow sterilization process.
Above 15 mph, however, the California's sound and vibrations become harmonious as it accepts gentle steering inputs, and smooth twists of the throttle give rewarding acceleration at the conclusion of a turn. Once you realize the California is far more compliant than its form would suggest, it's easy to lean in tight for the thrill of brushing the pavement with the bottom of the foot platforms. Motorcycles this enormous and powerful, I had figured, would make you feel more like a passenger than a pilot. As soon as you learn to work with the California and not against it, the bike becomes responsive and willing.
Just to be safe, though, Moto Guzzi peppered this ride with technology to help a novice rider like me feel capable on such an unruly machine. The California, both the Touring and Custom, has a ride-by-wire throttle, engine mapping for different roads and moods, ABS Brembo brakes, and even traction control. Those features keep its 96 horses and 89 lb-ft of torque focused as needed. The 5.4-gallon tank on both models will get you around 120 miles between a fill-up, but if you're considering this motorcycle, fuel economy is not a factor.
For sensory and visual impact even non-riders can understand, the Guzzi California is a standout of gentle charisma in a sea of bikes and riders that feel like they're trying too hard.
RELATED: You should build your own retro cafe racer
This article originally appeared on Popular Mechanics

Last edited by Space; 08-25-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

I had a 04 cbr 600 f4i that had some work done to it but I sold it because I didn't wanna end up hurting/ killing myself or anyone else do to doing stupid stuff on it. I'll stick to 4 wheels

Old 08-25-2014, 06:38 AM

78 Kawasaki 1000 LTD, Owned since new. MR TURBO full race turbocharger. Runs 9.56 @156 MPH OH , And a 2003 HD ElectraGlide Ultra Classic, That's my Geezer Glide

Old 08-25-2014, 06:40 AM
Cool

...Thanks `John for being the first to post on this thread and state your position/reasons why you don't ride

I also get crazy on a bike, but hopefully I will mature & stop being a idiot/crazy on two wheels.

My future bike will only be for off road...I love to ride 4-Sure
OFF-ROAD/MOTOCROSS

Read Full Post | Comments(0)

FEATURED STORY

THE WEAPON – WORLD’S COOLEST BIKES

Ryan Villopoto wins the AMA Outdoor Motocross Championship and $1 million; Dudek rides the KX450F that got him there. (originally featured on March 29, 2012)

LATEST OFF-ROAD/MOTOCROSS ARTICLES

HONORABLE MENTIONS: 2014 CYCLE WORLD TEN BEST BIKESThese five other motorcycles came oh-so-close to winning their respective categories.

August 5, 2014By Cycle World 3 Comments
Yamaha FZ-07 It’s a 2015 model, and we rode it for the first time just after our Ten Best voting had been completed. Nevertheless, we quickly found this new 689cc parallel-twin to be crazy fun at an impossibly low price of $6,990. The FZ-07 is more basic and lighter than the three-cylinder FZ-09 and somehow [...]
Filed Under: Highlights, Off-Road/Motocross, Reviews, Sportbike, Standard/Naked, Touring/Sport-Touring Tagged With: 2014 motorcycles, Aprilia, Aprilia Caponord 1200 ABS Travel Pack, Aprilia-Caponord 1200, EBR, EBR 1190RX, Erik Buell Racing, Suzuki, Suzuki V-Strom 1000, Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS, Yamaha FZ-07, Yamaha motorcycles, Yamaha YZ250F

THE TEN BEST NEW MOTORCYCLES OF 2014Here’s the whole Ten Best class of 2014. With videos!

August 4, 2014By Cycle World 9 Comments
Over the course of the last five workdays, we’ve released our Ten Best Motorcycles of 2014 one bike at a time via two posts per day on our website. Although some folks might quibble with a selection here or there, our Ten Best winners of 2014 undoubtedly are an impressive class, a mechanically diverse lot [...]
Filed Under: Cruiser, Dual-Sport/Adventure, Features, Off-Road/Motocross, Sportbike, Standard/Naked,Ten Best Bikes, Touring/Sport-Touring Tagged With: 2014 motorcycles, Adventure motorcycles, BMW K1600GTL, BMW K1600GTL Exclusive, BMW motorcycles, BMW R1200RT, BMW S1000R, Ducati, Ducati 1199 Superleggera, Indian Chief Classic, Indian motorcycles, Kawasaki KX450F, Kawasaki motorcycles,KTM, KTM 1190 Adventure, KTM 1290 Super Duke R, KTM 500 EXC, Motocross motorcycles, Sport-Touring motorcycles, Standard motorcycles, Ten Best Bikes 2014, Touring motorcycles, Yamaha FZ-09, Yamaha motorcycles

BEST MOTOCROSSER: KAWASAKI KX450F

July 30, 2014By Cycle World 1 Comment
How good is this bike? Just look at the amazing results posted by Ryan Villopoto and his Monster Energy Kawasaki team in the 2014 AMA Supercross series: Seven wins and 12 podiums earned RV2 his fourth-straight title. Okay, Villopoto is pretty damn good, but a great machine made his job a whole lot easier. The [...]
Filed Under: Highlights, Off-Road/Motocross, Ten Best Bikes Tagged With: Kawasaki KX450F,Kawasaki motorcycles, Motocross motorcycles, Ten Best Bikes 2014

2015 KAWASAKI KX450F – FIRST RIDEComplex new air fork makes the new KX450F an even better Air Monster.

July 7, 2014By Ryan Dudek 1 Comment
For the past few years, Kawasaki has made its KX450F highly adjustable. With two-position footpegs and four-position handlebar clamps, the bike has offered versatile ergonomics. Additionally, the KX-F has three ignition coupler maps for quick trackside changes to power delivery. And now, for 2015, Kawasaki has taken adjustability one step further with the introduction of [...]
Filed Under: First Rides, Off-Road/Motocross Tagged With: 2015 motorcycles, Kawasaki, Kawasaki KX450F, Motocross motorcycles

HUSQVARNA FC 450 VS. KAWASAKI KX450F VS. YAMAHA YZ450F – COMPARISON TESTThe quick and the dirty face-off.

June 18, 2014By Ryan Dudek 1 Comment
It has been more than a decade since four-stroke fever swept over motocross. As the bikes have evolved, determining the fastest, lightest, and best-handling machine has become a much tougher task. Now, in addition to all the bikes being whopping fast, the weight differences have been reduced to nearly nothing, and fuel injection can be [...]
Filed Under: Comparison Tests, Highlights, Off-Road/Motocross Tagged With: FC 450, Husqvarna,Kawasaki, Kawasaki KX450F, Motocross motorcycles, Yamaha, Yamaha YZ450F

2015 KTM SX-FS – FIRST LOOKNew frame and chassis parts top updates to four-stroke motocrossers.

June 9, 2014By Bruno dePrato 0 Comments
KTM has not relaxed in its quest to build the ultimate motocrosser. The technical team in Mattighofen, Austria, continues to refine the frames and rolling gear of its machines, well aware that extracting more power from engines that are already at or near the top in terms of peak power and torque delivery means nothing [...]
Filed Under: First Looks, Highlights, Off-Road/Motocross Tagged With: 2015 motorcycles, 250 SX-F,350 SX-F, 450 SX-F, KTM

2015 HONDA CRF250R – FIRST LOOKReigning AMA Supercross champ gets upgraded with improved suspension and trick new ride modes.

June 4, 2014By Blake Conner 0 Comments
Fresh off another impressive AMA Supercross title in the 250cc class, Justin Bogle and his Geico Honda team proved that the CRF250R is still a potent weapon. As a matter of fact, according to Honda, 48 percent of all competitors in the AMA 250 Supercross class competed on CRF250Rs in 2014. To keep the CRF250R [...]
Filed Under: First Looks, Off-Road/Motocross Tagged With: 2015 motorcycles, CRF250R, Honda

2015 HONDA CRF450R – FIRST LOOKLots of changes (and more power!) for Honda’s motocrosser.

June 3, 2014By Blake Conner 0 Comments
We’ve lost track of how many Ten Best awards the Honda CRF450R has taken home, but the last few years have seen the competition walk away with the coveted hardware. That, together with a lack of success on the racetrack, has obviously gotten under Big Red’s skin. For 2015, the CRF450R receives numerous upgrades that [...]
Filed Under: First Looks, Off-Road/Motocross Tagged With: 2015 motorcycles, CRF450R, Honda

Old 08-25-2014, 08:09 AM
Smile Tired of reading > Below are some Vid's > EnJoy

http://www.cycleworld.com/videos/fea...site=obnetwork
^ Click
More Videos

Search Results buell: Our Editor-in-Chief’s list of 10 great bikes that don’t quite fit into our usual categories.
(Videos)

TEN BEST BIKES VIDEO- BEST DUAL-SPORT/ENDURO: KTM 500 EXC
(Videos)

Search Results buell: Our Editor-in-Chief’s list of 10 great bikes that don’t quite fit into our usual categories.
(Videos)

TEN BEST BIKES VIDEO- BEST DUAL-SPORT/ENDURO: KTM 500 EXC
(Videos)

Last edited by Space; 08-25-2014 at 08:12 AM.