Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
Desk
35.56%
Lap
22.22%
Dial Up
8.89%
High Speed
33.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

~ What Type of Computer~> Do You Have ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:40 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ~ What Type of Computer~> Do You Have ?

[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]What type of Computer do you have ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Are you happy with it ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]What would you replace it with ?[/align][align=center]LapTop - DeskTop[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]What price range ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]What is the best computer for under $1 K ? [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Over $ 1K ?[/align][align=center]___________
______
_[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I have an old Compaq Presario [/align][align=center]and creep'in slow dial up connection.[X(][/align][align=center][/align][align=center](It's ready 2 Blow-Up)[/align][align=center]I'm saving for a new one & doing research.[/align][align=center]Please share your experience & knowledge[/align][align=center]with the members & `Space.[/align][align=center]Thank You ![/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Space's Crazy Posts[/align][align=center][IMG]local://upfiles/714/3458D38D1826464991E36C2FBD30D6BE.jpg[/IMG] [/align]

Old 06-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Default RE: ? What Type of Computer Do You Have ?

I have a couple of them,

the first one is a Dell 8400
Its almost 3 years old
It was built for gaming use more then anything else
As far as computers go I rank it up top.
it has 1 gig of mem
ATI video card with 253 meg
6.1 sound system
20" LCD monitor

My laptop

Mainly uses it when we go on trips
is a Compaq
its a low line lap top, but so far has never let me down

I use comcast cable here.
Waiting on the county to approve the new Verizon system

Old 06-27-2007, 11:12 AM

I use our store computer when posting to the site because we have what they call "Litespeed" internet access which is somewhere between dial-up and true high speed. It's a lot faster than dial up, plenty fast for me. For some reason, I can't get the "Litespeed" at my home, something to do with telephone switching stations being too far away or something, otherwise I would have it. Dial-up is "painful" once you have had a higher speed.

As far as the computers, they are both Dells, with 19" flat panel monitors. The shop computer is an "Optiplex GX270, Pentium 4, 300GHz - Whatever that means. The home job is a "Dimension" something or other. Both work fine.

We did however lose our Dell 19" flat panel monitor at the storea few weeks back and of course, it was out of warranty by about a month. Go figure. Apparently they aren't worth fixing, a new one is cheaper, so we just bought a new montor for $200 and it works fine.

Other than the monitor issue we have been happy with the Dell stuff and when all is said and done, they aren't any more expensive than the box store jobs.

I've been thinking about a laptop as a replacement for a computer my Mom has, but they seem more expensive, and I guess if you lose the screen like we did with our desktop, you're screwed. I guess if portability is an issue, a laptop would fill the bill if you don't mind the extra cost.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:26 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have an old titanium Mac Power Book. I have a docking station for it so I can use as a desktop or a laptop. Unfortunatly If I want to replace it the one I want is almost 3K! BOOOOOO! I can't convert to a PC because I own all this graphics software that costs a bloody fortune to replace.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Space, I have a new fully loaded Dell DuoCore tower in my office Hooked up to a Dell double DuoCore server.

Since I do all the IT here, when I get home I don't want to see a computer so I don't have one there.

I just kick it and watch cable all night.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

my computer @ home was an hp computer, fairly new

had a 40gig harddrive, cd player, and 512 of ram, but i changed all that now, now it has a 160gig harddrive, dvd burner, and 1.512 gig of ram now

fast computer, and i got a 19" widescreen lcd monitor

Old 06-27-2007, 01:45 PM

The only computer I've ever paid for is my HP laptop, which was the best computer I've ever used. But, being around 6 years old now it's starting to slow up compared to my desktops. I have two Dell Dimension 2400's that I got for free in exhcange for computer labor (I do that on the side) and upgraded. My current one went from like a 2.4 celeron with 256 mb ram and 60 gigs of storage to the maximum 2.66 Pentium with 786 or so MB ram and 300 Gigs storage

The other dimension inherited the 2.4 gig chip, has 256 ram (currently anyways), but that is just the email/general browsing machine. This one has the upgraded graphix card too. All in all I probably put about 300$ worth of components into this machine, and it's better than any 700$ computer out there rite now... Simply put, because it doesn't have Vista... HAHA

That os is so slow, my XP machine with half the power of one of those dual-core things can run circles around a computer with Vista. And being a programmer, I know I can keep it virus free without paying for an antivirus.

Bottom line? u don't need anything more than you'll use on a daily basis. Just find something that's not impossible to upgrade. A old Dell 2400 can be purchased for less than a hundred dollars with monitor and all, easily. And a few more hundred and some time will get it running better than something that's brand new.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:48 AM

I have a newer E Machine same thing as the gateways, I got it back in Dec, the computer it replaced was a four year old E Machine. some folks dont like the E Machines computers but I had such good luck with the first one I had I went with them again. and the price on them is not bad at all. I finally got my free windows Vista upgrade in the mail about two weeks ago, But Have not installed it yet. just not sure I want to switch over yet.

Anybody here running Vista yet? what is your thoughts on Vista?

Mike.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks Members for your post & time.
I'm still researching sites & reading your posts.
Everything is so expensive. . .I continue to save
and search. Thank You...`Space

Old 06-28-2007, 07:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

you could look into mac's space, they're a little more expensive, but a way better computer from what i've seen so far, i've played around with one for a little, and they hardly ever get out dated, and they're just awesome computers.

Quick Reply: ~ What Type of Computer~> Do You Have ?