Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Member's BLOG: Wednesday, October 16th, 2013

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Good evening everyone. Been busy around the house with the past long weekend, but on the positive had 3 great dinners with friends and family. Even had a fried turkey, never had one before and was very pleasantly surprised. Hope everyone is having a good week.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well, I got a ray of sunshine in a sense.... My Monte killed the battery earlier this week (battery was replaced last june, has 5-10K miles on it, disconnected over the winter, a practice that has NEVER caused problems in any of the cars I winterize) and the alternator replaced earlier during this summer.
Failed the battery test, bad cell.
Good news, it has a 3 year FULL replacement warranty (after that, it gets pro-rated). I just have to go to Advanced to have it replaced

Other then that, life is pretty good for a Wednesday

Old 10-16-2013, 07:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good Evening EV1!

Its revolution and then survivor on tonights agenda...

Jason:
I had a battery issue with Advance auto after just a year also... They tried to give me the run around about it... I ended up calling corporate as the said when they tested it..It tested just fine....(some electric black box thingy)

My neighbor has an "old school" load tester for batterys and it failed miserably with a bad cell also....
Once I got the issue resolved (they fired that manager) he was some smarty pants know it all kid.... Since then they hired a new manager that is helpful compliant and there to help you solve your issues....

But, Since I now know neighbors, that work at the warehouse as well as a local store... I now do all my automotive needs thru oreilys...LOL

Jason:
I hope they take care of the battery and replace it as it should be!

Old 10-16-2013, 07:24 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Good evening all

Old 10-16-2013, 07:28 PM

Good evening everyone, pulling a late day at school with the girlfriend and i, today she told me she will be looking into her first car in a few months, can we all guess what she is choosing?!! =D

Old 10-16-2013, 08:18 PM

10 Year Member

Well, a non-Advnaced store tested the battery with the ol' black box and that failed it. Said the battery was 100% charged, bad cell. I'll have Advanced re-test it and go from there (probably Friday on my way home from work, as tomorrow my car pooling buddy is picking me up, his turn to drive). But I have faith that my local Advanced won't give me any grief, they are pretty good guys there.
My dad is wondering if my alternator possibly did some damage to the battery when it bit the big one earlier this year... Dunno....

Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Well, a non-Advnaced store tested the battery with the ol' black box and that failed it. Said the battery was 100% charged, bad cell. I'll have Advanced re-test it and go from there (probably Friday on my way home from work, as tomorrow my car pooling buddy is picking me up, his turn to drive). But I have faith that my local Advanced won't give me any grief, they are pretty good guys there.
My dad is wondering if my alternator possibly did some damage to the battery when it bit the big one earlier this year... Dunno....
Jason:
Turned out that My alternator had a bad diode that also may have caused my battery to drop a cell.... Yet when we tested the alternator showed it was good... Til we started to disassemble it... Thought we were going to rebuild it.... But with sealed bearings it was an impossibility.. as they were worn out as well.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:14 PM

10 Year Member

Yeah my alt right before the GM Nats in June got shall we say "funny". In effort to see if it was the cause of the mysterious battery drain since I have owned the car in August/September of 2008, I took it out of the car and had a shop bench test it (a new Oreilly's that was only like a month or two in business). Failed instantly, but they did not have a replacement. Next day (day before going to the GM Nats), had it tested by like 3 different stores, 5 cycles each, passed 100% each time. I opted not to mess with it thinking "perhaps the first store has a faulty machine".
Twice the following day, before we got out of the county, smell of burning electronics (and we narrowed it to my Monte). Pop the hood, nose to the alt and it was the alt stinking things up. Did a parking lot swap out and back on the road.

So, who knows....