Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

? Want 2 add a `Spark 2 your life ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 09:03 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question ? Want 2 add a `Spark 2 your life ?

2016 Chevrolet Spark Revealed: GM Lights a Fire Beneath its Tiny Hatchback
Member's, would you drive one, want one ?

MEET THE IMPROVED SUB-100-HP MINICAR WOW.

Typically, if an automaker were to brag that it bumped one of its redesigned models’ output by 17 percent, we’d be fairly impressed. But as with, well, pretty much every aspect of the supertiny Chevrolet Spark, a size-driven relativity check is in order. For 2016, the Spark is all-new, and it arrives packing 17 percent more power than before, having jumped from an 84-hp minicar to a—wait for it—98-hp minicar. Of course, this left precisely no one reeling at the 2015 New York auto show where the new Spark debuted, but like we said, everything’s relative, and compared with the old Spark, this new one is significantly improved.
No, Really, Pay Attention—the Future of the Itty-Bitty Car is Here

We’ll get to the topic of horsepower shortly—but first, the styling. Specifically, the 2016 Spark appears to have been sculpted by someone who took the job at least a little bit seriously. There are masculine creases and bulges, and the headlights now comprise a normal-ish proportion of the car’s frontal area. (The wide-eyed, last-generation Spark was the hands-down winner of the Most Skewed Headlight-to-Body-Size-Ratio award.) Chevrolet lowered the roof 1.6 inches to reduce some of the Spark’s gangly-ness but cleverly also lowered the front and rear seats’ hip points to maintain headroom. It no longer looks dorky or susceptible to spring-season breezes.

Like the last Spark, the majority of this new model’s design and engineering work took place at GM’s technical center in South Korea. This is a good thing, because cars of this size are far more common there than here in the U.S. As such, the Spark appears to be just as surprisingly roomy on the inside as the previous version, at least for four occupants. The designers kept the body-colored interior accents that lent a sense of whimsy and fun to the old car but also added the latest from GM’s tech drawer. OnStar with a 4G LTE data connection and onboard Wi-Fi are available, as are rear parking sensors; a backup camera is standard. A new, capacitive-touch seven-inch MyLink infotainment screen works with new volume and accessory hard buttons on the dashboard to make its use more intuitive (the old Spark’s volume could be adjusted via an on-screen slider that could be finicky), and there’s now an “advanced” dot-matrix LCD digital gauge cluster. We’re pretty sure the words “advanced” and “dot matrix” haven’t been used in the same sentence for promotional purposes since 1987, but at least the little gauge screen is more interesting than an analog cluster.

98 Furious Little Horsepower! WoW

Although it’s still among the least-powerful new cars you can buy in America, the 2016 Spark is now more muscular than the 89-hp Smart Fortwo and the 94-hp Scion iQ pipsqueaks. Its 98 horsepower might come courtesy of a new 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine adopted from General Motors’ new Ecotec small-engine family. Up 0.2 liters on the outgoing Spark’s 1.2-liter four, the 1.4-liter engine features an aluminum block and an aluminum head with an integrated exhaust manifold. Official fuel-economy estimates are forthcoming, but today’s Spark tops out at 31/39 mpg city/highway, and so the new car achieving a highway number over 40 wouldn’t be unexpected.
The 2016 Spark’s extra 14 horsepower should help it scoot about more quickly. At the track, a manual-equipped Spark we tested hit 60 mph in an agonizing 11.2 seconds, while the auto-equipped 2014 model dropped that time to 11.0 seconds. In the real world, we’ve found that the outgoing Spark never felt terribly flat-footed around town; out on the highway, it’s a different story, and thus the Spark’s newfound power should help it cruise at freeway speeds more easily. A five-speed manual transmission will be standard, while a continuously variable automatic remains optional.

To help assuage buyers potentially anxious over the Spark’s smallness, Chevrolet has upped the little hatchback’s safety game. Ten airbags are standard, and blind-spot monitoring, lane-departure warning, and forward-collision warning are now available. Because the Spark remains tall and narrow, it can be fitted with rollover detection and mitigation protocols for its stability control program. The body structure is all-new and is claimed to be much stiffer than before, which improves handling as well as crash safety. We’ll see for ourselves whether the Spark’s handling gets a spark when we get behind the wheel closer to the car’s on-sale date this fall. One thing we hope not to test is Chevy’s boast that the Spark’s roof can “carry 4.2 times the weight of the vehicle in a rollover,” a force rating far in excess of roof-crush safety standards.

So there you have it: The 2016 Spark has nearly 100 horsepower, can carry four other Sparks on its roof, and no longer looks like an excited potato. In pulling off this coup, Chevy has made it that much harder for buyers to justify stepping into the even smaller but similarly priced (final Spark pricing is forthcoming, but the 2015 model starts at $13,095) Scion iQ or Smart Fortwo. We maintain that for just a little more money, the larger Sonic hatch looks mighty enticing, but for those who need to stay small, we’d say the Spark is at least 17 percent better.

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 04-25-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:15 AM
Talking Move on up 2 a Sonic ?

Disclaimer: Chevy isn't paying me for this

Official Photos and Info

2017 Chevrolet Sonic: Fresh Looks, New Tech

CHEVY'S SPUNKY SUBCOMPACT GETS FRESH INSIDE AND OUT.

Chevy is injecting some new life into its compact Sonic with a visual freshening and some additional tech features for 2017. Still available in hatchback and sedan forms, the 2017 Sonic adopts a look similar to its crossover counterpart, the Trax, which also was refreshed earlier this year.

We’re largely fans of the spunky little Sonic, and this update shouldn’t change our minds too much. Nothing under the skin is altered, and the new look represents an appropriate, if subtle, upgrade. The hood, front fascia, and the headlights are new, and the Sonic also adopts optional LED accent lights and a smaller grille. Out back, the rear fascia and taillamps are slightly reshaped, although we can’t tell much of a difference.
New Hues, Rims, and Trims

The Sonic’s already extensive color palette is broader for 2017, adding hues including Orange Burst Metallic, Brimstone, Cajun Red Tintcoat, and Arctic Blue Metallic. The 15-, 16-, and 17-inch wheels also are new.

The Sonic sedan still is available in LS and LT models, although the fanciest trim, previously called LTZ, has been renamed Premier. The hatchback lineup is changing a bit more. It previously offered LS, LT, LTZ, and sporty RS trim levels, but Chevrolet will now apply the RS treatment—including a stiffer suspension, sport exhaust, and a body kit—to all Sonic hatchbacks, which come only in LT and Premier trims. As before, Sonic sedan buyers who want a bit more excitement can also opt for an RS package that brings similar upgrades and now makes the four-door look like a full-size Chevy SS that’s been squished into a smaller box for delivery.

Chevy has yet to offer any photos of the 2017 Sonic’s interior, so we’ll have to wait until next week’s New York auto show to see the new gauge cluster and its analog speedometer for ourselves (the outgoing Sonic used a motorcycle-inspired digital gauge cluster, which we liked). Otherwise, newly optional features include a power driver’s seat, keyless entry and push-button start, heated cloth seats, and a heated steering wheel. Models equipped with the 7.0-inch MyLink touchscreen now offer Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability.
There are no changes to the standard 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine or the optional 1.4-liter turbocharged four. Both make 138 horsepower, but the smaller turbo’s 148 lb-ft of torque is 23 stronger than that of the standard engine, making it our preference. Both engines continue to be offered with a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic—the turbo with the stick is the way to go.
The carryover mechanicals mean that fuel economy shouldn’t change significantly from the 2016 Sonic’s EPA ratings. They currently range from 25–29 mpg city and 33–40 highway for the 1.4-liter, with the 1.8-liter at 24–26 mpg city and 35 highway, which puts the Sonic behind the class leaders.
Don’t expect much of a pricing change for the tweaked 2017 Sonic, either; the 2016 model started at $15,220 for a manual-transmission sedan LS and ranged up to $22,370 for an RS with the automatic in either body style. Expect to see the 2017 Sonic in dealerships this fall.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:46 PM

My parents had a 1G Aveo (which had many Daewoo sourced components) for a few years, and it sure makes me question the logic of having the Spark designed in South Korea. Certainly it was intended to be a cheap econobox, but the quality of this thing was pretty awful.

I'll be honest, I don't deal with this size/class of car often, but for its year, I really think the Japanese competitors really had a better finished car in this segment. After multiple quality issues across many aspects of the car (covered under warranty, but still a pain to have to deal with), they ended up getting into a minor front end wreck with it.

The car faired very poorly. The hit wasn't super hard, and the other car wasnt bad at all, but this thing ended up heavily damaged. It did poorly enough that they sold it as soon as it came back from the body shop. Not sure if it was just an odd angle, or if it's because the car was so small.

I will admit, the Spark looks 100x better, but that experience really turned me off to Chevy's imported cars from that region.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:31 PM
Talking Where's my Pizza?

Hi Chad, and thanks again for your post. I was glad to read that you parents weren't hurt in the accident.

When I was a Kid, Space & I helped a senior that had a wrecker and we would go to the accident scenes & do clean up. I've seen to many small cars get smashed and serious or fatal injuries. I do like small cars like the VW GTI and even the Miata's or MX5's. I just wouldn't want to get in a serious accident with one. Life on the road is a Gamble for sure I'll stick with the go Kart tracks (LOL)..

I do think the Spark & Sonic makes great Domino Pizza delivery vehicles > with a warmer oven

Old 04-27-2016, 08:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I kinda like the Spark and Sonic; the article described them as "spunky", and it fits. They have a little "attitude". They sure are space-efficient, affordable, and can be well-equipped (at least for my tastes), and they have a nice range of paint colors too, more than the average car seems to have nowadays.

What's weird for me is that while I didn't like the Spark's previous look, I do like its new styling, but for the Sonic, it's the opposite. I liked the way it looked before, with the round headlights & taillights. It's cool that Chevy is putting the RS style on all the Sonic hatchbacks now, although I am getting so sick of seeing black wheels on cars & trucks; but that's a rant for another place & time.

A nice touch on both Spark & Sonic is the way they hide the rear door handles up by the back of the windows, which makes them look like two-door coupes at first glance. Even so, I still like my coupes long, lean, and smooth, which is why I'm sticking with my 5th-gen Monte.