Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>2016 Chevrolet Camaro V-6 Manual <

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up >2016 Chevrolet Camaro V-6 Manual <

2016 Chevrolet Camaro V-6 Manual
Car and Driver
DON SHERMAN4/13/2016

See Full Specs

See Pricing

Six-cylinder engines are legitimately desirable in imports—BMWs, Jaguars, Porsches—yet in pony cars they’ve always been plagued by the Rodney Dangerfield syndrome. As the old Camaro/Challenger/Mustang rap goes, V-8s are for those serious about performance, V-6s are for secretarial pools and rental fleets.
While Dodge and Ford both offer V-6s with 300 or more horsepower, the home of the Hemi and the house of EcoBoost don’t have their hearts in those engines.

This gives Chevy the opportunity to indulge in the joy of six with its freshly revitalized Camaro. We don’t have secretaries anymore, and during our most recent 10Best trial, we noticed that the 3.6-liter, 335-hp LGX V-6 the Camaro shares with four Cadillacs is a palatable alternative to a honking V-8. Times have indeed changed.

The Camaro LT tested here rings in at $35,150, uplifted from a base four-cylinder with a $1495 V-6, $895 dual-mode exhaust, and a $1950 RS package (20-inch wheels and tires, high-tech lighting, and a few sporty trim pieces). That’s the high end of affordability, but oh, what you get. It snarls unlike any American V-6, and the 223- pound-lighter nose relative to the V-8 version’s makes it a back-road Baryshnikov.

This V-6’s appetite for rpm shot us to 60 mph in 5.1 seconds and to 103 mph in the quarter-mile in 13.7, quicker by 0.4 second in both measures than a 3.7-liter V-6 Mustang. The last Challenger V-6 we tested, equipped with an eight-speed automatic, was a full second off the Camaro’s pace.

GM’s four-cam V-6 flaunts its spunk by pulling smartly from 1800 rpm and by tickling the sound meter with rich resonance at 5000 rpm. At the 7000-rpm redline, four tailpipes spout speed metal.
© DON SHERMAN 2016 Chevrolet Camaro V-6 Manual The chassis is nicely balanced thanks to the engineers’ weight-saving and stiffness-enhancing accomplishments. The V-6 is tucked back as far as is practical, the battery lives in the trunk, and various suspension and structural components are aluminum. We measured 0.91 g’s worth of skidpad stick running on 245/40R-20 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season radials.

The body is flat and nicely damped at the adhesion limit, and the understeer never goes nasty. The electrically assisted steering is perfectly weighted and provides aggressive turn-in response. Clearly, a car junkie tuned the communications channel from the road to the driver’s hands.

The bad news is the cave that the Camaro’s interior has become. While the sixth generation’s cockpit excels in functionality, the exterior designers hiked up the trousers and cocked the Camaro’s beret to leave little more than peepholes for spotting traffic. The front buckets provide excellent lateral and thigh support, though the slide into them includes a buttocks bite by the outboard seatbelt anchor. The front belts also serve as tripwires for those brave enough to attempt rear-seat entry. That’s a pity because the back perches are comfortable—except for their shortage of head, knee, and foot space.

Most of the interior is finished in hard, black plastic but executed nicely enough not to be oppressive. At least there’s no hassle using the reconfigurable instrument cluster, infotainment system, and climate controls. Twisting the oversized vent registers sets cabin temperature. A parking brake that automatically releases when you drive off is handy, and the options list includes a wireless charging pad and a head-up display.

While Mustang fans might look wistfully in the direction of the new Camaro’s numbers, Ford fan defections are unlikely. That said, this car’s gutsy V-6 should draw a few import owners to the Chevy fold.

Specifications >VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe
PRICE AS TESTED: $35,150 (base price: $30,140)
ENGINE TYPE: DOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection
Displacement: 222 cu in, 3640 cc
Power: 335 hp @ 6800 rpm
Torque: 284 lb-ft @ 5300 rpm
TRANSMISSION: 6-speed manual
DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 110.7 in
Length: 188.3 in
Width: 74.7 in Height: 53.1 in
Passenger volume: 80 cu ft
Trunk volume: 9 cu ft
Curb weight: 3469 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.1 sec (I could get it in the high 4's: )
Zero to 100 mph: 13.0 sec
Zero to 140 mph: 34.1 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.0 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 15.1 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 12.4 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.7 sec @ 103 mph *(With a few mod's, I could get it in2 the high 12's : )
Top speed (governor limited): 151 mph (Governor `off > 200 + LOL)
Braking, 70–0 mph: 152 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.91 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway driving: 18/27 mpg
C/D observed: 18 mpg (It's not a Honda Civic : )

TEST NOTES: Launches nicely with a 4000-rpm clutch engagement and a feathered throttle. Perfectly stable at its 151-mph top speed. (The car is, but the driver is stoned)

MCF Member's, what do you think of this Camaro RS ?
Post your thoughts >Thanks<

*Cost & Insurance is so much lower then a V8 S.S.
I'd love to own one...4-$ure.

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 04-23-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:08 PM
Thumbs up Top Ten Sports Car's under $30K

Top 10 Sports Cars Under $30,000: Satisfy That Need for Speed

Do you love the roar of a high performance engine? Long to rip into the pavement as you tear down the road? Want all that without having to break the bank? If so, there’s good news – there are plenty of outstanding sports cars available for far less than you might think.
In fact, we’ve assembled a list of the top 10 sports cars for under $30,000. There’s no need to pony up $100,000 for that Euro powerhouse when you have access to options like these.

10. Chevy Camaro

The redesigned Camaro took the world by storm several years back, and it’s been turning heads ever since. Managing to combine both retro and futuristic styling, the Camaro is more than just eye candy, though. Depending on how much you want to spend, it can rival some of the best that Europe can offer. However, the base model costs just $24,134, giving you access to this muscle car icon for less. And you won’t have to sacrifice much in the way of fuel economy, either. The Camaro manages to deliver 28 MPG on the highway and 17 in the city.

Pages: Next <Click

Old 04-24-2016, 07:05 PM

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 04-24-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:01 PM

I think they're doing a great job at trying to really make the v6 more sporty. Those acceleration numbers are very nice for sure, and it's good to see the weight isn't too terrible either. Their obstacle is always going to be the stigma from the older generations that the v8 is the sporty model, and everything else is just a chic car.

With the way they're going with v6 performance, they should shed that image over time, I just hope it isn't ultimately at the expense of killing off the v8s altogether down the road.

My few complaints about this car:
-The engine bay looks very boring with a giant plastic cover. I realize that's the trend these days, but IMO it's lazy engineering. They don't bother making a halfway decent looking engine underneath, just slap a big old cover on it.
-The mpg; as with the Civic thread- they only averaged 18 mpg?? They must be doing 100% city driving and really beating on the car to get numbers that bad. In the 2 years I've owned my vette from stock to where it is today, I've never calculated less than 20 mpg.
-The price; I get they probably tested something nearly fully loaded, but $35k is a lot for a v6 Camaro IMO. If you went used, there are a lot of seriously cool and quick options for that kind of money.
-The aftermarket; I'm not sure if the aftermarket is better than the old gm 60* engines, but you're always going to be more limited vs something with an LS/LT V8. If you don't really plan to mod it much, then I guess it's no big deal. I'd just rather have all of the aftermarket options that the v8 would afford you. There are some c7 LTs locally making nearly 1000 at the crank on a stock bottom end, I can't imagine these v6s will ever get near that.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:53 PM

Thanks `Chad for another great post/review
Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I think they're doing a great job at trying to really make the v6 more sporty. Those acceleration numbers are very nice for sure, and it's good to see the weight isn't too terrible either. Their obstacle is always going to be the stigma from the older generations that the v8 is the sporty model, and everything else is just a chic car.
I think the stigma will fade fast on this one

With the way they're going with v6 performance, they should shed that image over time, I just hope it isn't ultimately at the expense of killing off the v8s altogether down the road.

I don't think we will have to worry about that...People demand & want as much power as they can get (Exception: `if gas get really high)

My few complaints about this car:
-The engine bay looks very boring with a giant plastic cover. I realize that's the trend these days, but IMO it's lazy engineering. They don't bother making a halfway decent looking engine underneath, just slap a big old cover on it.
Yes, but it's a pretty cover (lol)...The only time you will have to lift the hood is when you beat a V8 to prove you only have a V-6 >LOL<
-The mpg; as with the Civic thread- they only averaged 18 mpg?? They must be doing 100% city driving and really beating on the car to get numbers that bad. In the 2 years I've owned my vette from stock to where it is today, I've never calculated less than 20 mpg.
..Yes, but I think the driver's of the Civic and Camaro were driving them as hard as they could with the pedal to the metal most of the time
-The price; I get they probably tested something nearly fully loaded, but $35k is a lot for a v6 Camaro IMO. If you went used, there are a lot of seriously cool and quick options for that kind of money.
Dealer are selling the V6 with manual for under $30K
-The aftermarket; I'm not sure if the aftermarket is better than the old gm 60* engines, but you're always going to be more limited vs something with an LS/LT V8. If you don't really plan to mod it much, then I guess it's no big deal. I'd just rather have all of the aftermarket options that the v8 would afford you. There are some c7 LTs locally making nearly 1000 at the crank on a stock bottom end, I can't imagine these v6s will ever get near that.
I really believe that the aftermarket company will produce mod's if there is a demand by the consumer's. I think with a CAI & a good tune the V6 could run in the 12 second bracket...

My friend @ the Chevy dealer is going to call me when one gets in with a 6speed. He said they can't keep them on the lot. I'll post a review/pictures when that happens. Thanks again for your in-depth review. I also enjoy reading your posts + your reviews...

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 04-25-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:12 PM

I don't think we will have to worry about that...People demand & want as much power as they can get (Exception: `if gas get really high)
I hope that's the case, but I don't have a good feeling that it is. Between CAFE, the advances in turbos and hybrids (as a performance add on), and so forth, I wonder how much longer we'll see the big monster v8s (like the LS7).

Also, with your average Joe able to go down and finance a 700 hp challenger, a 660 hp mustang, etc without any previous experience or training - I'm afraid that one major public incident could trigger legislation to try and subdue the modern horsepower wars.

..Yes, but I think the driver's of the Civic and Camaro were driving them as hard as they could with the pedal to the metal most of the time
It does make me wonder how they test this. I would hope a magazine like this would at least try to simulate a normal mix of driving that people could expect to see. If they're really just beating on the cars, then I wonder what the purpose of even publishing the number is. You can make any car get miserable gas mileage if you're really trying to.

If this is a result of what they consider a mix of 'normal driving', then it concerns me how poorly both of them performed.

I really believe that the aftermarket company will produce mod's if there is a demand by the consumer's. I think with a CAI & a good tune the V6 could run in the 12 second bracket...
I guess I just wonder if the v6 will be the black sheep since the LT will definitely have a big following, and turbo engines are typically easy to mod. Maybe by upping the performance so much on this model, they can attract some performance minded people. But relatively high strung v6s aren't always easy to get big gains out of.

I think GM hurts this by continuing to change things up so often with some of their engines and transmissions. When they build a solid platform that takes well to mods, and they run it with few variations for many years (LS, L67, Ecotec, 4l65, etc), they seem to get a big following. It seems like some of these iterations of powertrains have such short runs (or are used in so few models) that they never build much steam in the aftermarket.

Granted, I'm sure they would prefer if people didn't modify their cars anyways for liability and warranty reasons.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:15 PM

Hi `Chad and thanks again for your post/words on this topic.
You made some great points 4-Sure I agree with many of them, but I like to debate on certain topics. I do wish the auto companies would concentrate more on improving their present products with refinements and quality. I rather see a company that concentrates on quality and reliability then constant rush to change & not perfect their products. They don't seem to be built to last. ? But from my young experience, I blame many of the owners for not properly maintaining their vehicle(s). I see many abused late model vehicles on the road .

I just read that the average price of people buying vehicles
Average new car price zips 2.6% to $33560 - USA Today

www.usatoday.com/.../cars/.../new-car...price-3.../26690191/

USA Today

May 4, 2015 - Americans paid an average price of $33560, or 2.6% more than a year ... The estimated average transaction price of a new car or truck sold in the ... sell at fullprice, and early buyers of a new model also tend to be people who ...
Now, that's a lot of money for a car. Many places in the USA you can buy a home for that price In Florida, I've seen condo's selling for that price in decent area's. Not major cities.

Thanks again your post/thoughts on this topic

Old 04-26-2016, 08:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Mod options for the internals are pretty limited right now for the LFX, but there are twin-turbo setups, and procharger setups with bolt-ons of 200 HP.

One guy recently just dyno'd an NA LFX with over 300whp.

I agree though, fully optioning a v6 doesn't make sense in the long run to me. I picked up my 2013 1LS (which is a 6-speed v6) for only $23,500 brand new.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:33 AM
Thumbs up My future Camaro : )

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep

I agree though, fully optioning a v6 doesn't make sense in the long run to me. I picked up my 2013 1LS (which is a 6-speed v6) for only $23,500 brand new.
Thanks Admin `Mike for your post & sharing. People seem to want all the latest gadgets on their cars & will pay a high price to get them. They don't seem to look @ the total cost for them, but just >What the monthly payment is
  • 2016 Chevrolet Camaro/MSRP

From $25,700
  • 3.6L V6 Direct Injection Engine With Variable Valve Timing

• 335 hp @ 6800 rpm
    • 284 lb-ft of torque @ 5300 rpm

Select

$ 1495 option
    2016 Camaro Coupe 1LTView Standard EquipmentPrintClose

View:Mechanical
    |

Interior
    |

Exterior
    |

Safety
    |

MechanicalEngine, 2.0L Turbo, 4-cylinder, SIDI, VVT (275 hp [205 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 295 lb-ft of torque [398.3 N-m] @ 3000-4500 rpm) (STD)
    Transmission, 6-speed manual (STD)
    Rear axle, 3.27 ratio (Included with (LTG) 2.0L Turbo engine, or with (LGX) 3.6L V6 engine and (MN6) 6-speed manual transmission.)
    Driver Selector Mode up to 4 modes available for various driving conditions - Snow/Ice, Tour, Sport and Track (SS models only)
    Differential, limited slip (Included and only available with (MN6) 6-speed manual transmission.)
    Battery rundown protection
    Rear wheel drive
    Suspension, Sport
    Steering, power, variable ratio, electric
    Brakes, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc
    Fueling system, capless
    Exhaust, dual-outlet stainless-steel with bright tips
    InteriorAudio system, Chevrolet MyLink Radio with 7" diagonal color touch-screen, AM/FM stereo with seek-and-scan and digital clock includes Bluetooth streaming audio for music and select phones; featuring Android Auto and Apple CarPlay capability for compatible phone (STD)
    Audio system feature, 6-speaker system
    Audio system feature, USB ports, 2 and auxiliary input jack
    OnStar with 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi hotspot to connect to the internet at 4G LTE speeds includes 3GB or 3 months OnStar Data Trial (whichever comes first) (Available 4G LTE Wi-Fi requires compatible mobile device, active OnStar subscription and data plan after trial.)
    SiriusXM Satellite Radio is standard on nearly all 2016 GM models. Enjoy a 12-month All Access subscription with over 150 channels including commercial-free music, plus sports, news and entertainment. Plus listening on the app and online is included, so you'll hear the best SiriusXM has to offer, anywhere life takes you. Welcome to the world of SiriusXM. (IMPORTANT: The SiriusXM Satellite Radio trial package is not provided on vehicles that are ordered for Fleet Daily Rental ("FDR") use. If you decide to continue service after your trial, the subscription plan you choose will automatically renew thereafter and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates. Fees and taxes apply. To cancel you must call us at 1-866-635-2349. See our Customer Agreement for complete terms at Welcome to the world of satellite radio - SiriusXM Radio. All fees and programming subject to change.)
    Bluetooth for phone
    Antenna, integral rear window
    Antenna, OnStar and SiriusXM Satellite Radio, fin-type (Black, except when (WRS) RS Package is ordered and changes to body-color.)
    Seats, front Sport bucket (STD)
    Seat adjuster, driver, 8-way power
    Seat adjuster, front passenger, 6-way power
    Seat, rear, folding
    Floor mats, carpeted front
    Power outlet, 1 located on center console
    Dead pedal, driver
    Steering wheel, leather-wrapped, flat-bottom
    Steering column, manual rake and telescopic
    Speedometer, miles/kilometers
    Driver Information Center, color display
    Compass display
    Windows, power with driver and passenger Express-Down/Up
    Door locks, power programmable with lockout protection
    Keyless Access with push button start and 2 remote transmitters that enable automatic door unlock and open by touching door switch
    Cruise control, electronic with set and resume speed, steering wheel mounted
    Mirror, inside rearview manual day/night, frameless
    Visors, driver and front passenger vanity mirrors, covered, non-illuminated
    Trunk release, power
    Air conditioning, single-zone automatic climate control
    Defogger, rear-window, electric
    Glovebox, lockable
    Cup holders, 2 front
    Lighting, front reading lamps
    Shift ****, leather-wrapped
    ExteriorWheels, 18" (45.7 cm) Silver-painted aluminum (STD)
    Tires, 245/50R18, blackwall, all-season (STD)
    Tire inflation kit (Included and only available with (R0H) 245/50R18, blackwall, all-season tires.)
    Mirrors, outside power-adjustable, body-color
    Wipers, front variable-speed, intermittent with washers
    SafetyDaytime Running Lamps, LED
    Air bags, dual-stage frontal, thorax side-impact and knee, driver and front passenger, and head curtain side-impact includes Passenger Sensing System (Always use safety belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
    OnStar Guidance Plan for 6 months including Automatic Crash Response, Stolen Vehicle Assistance, Roadside Assistance, Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Advanced Diagnostics and more (trial excludes Hands-Free Calling) (Visit www.onstar.com for coverage map, details and system limitations. Services may vary by model and conditions.)
    OnStar Basic Plan for 5 years including limited RemoteLink mobile app services, Advanced Diagnostics and Dealer Maintenance Notification (Basic Plan available for 5 years from the date of vehicle delivery, and is transferable. Does not include Emergency, Security or Navigation services.)
    Rear Vision Camera
    Safety belts, 3-point, all seating positions includes front seat driver and front passenger safety belt pretensioners
    LATCH system (Lower Anchors and Top tethers for CHildren), for child safety seats
    Trunk emergency release handle
    StabiliTrak, stability control system with brake assist includes traction control

Old 04-26-2016, 09:42 AM
Thumbs up 4 Banging Chevy

2016 Chevrolet Camaro first drive: Four-cylinder blasphemy?

MARCH 24, 2016

1 OF 12The 2016 Camaro 2.0-liter turbocharged I4 is on sale now.

CHEVY DEMOLISHES IRON DUKE MEMORIES WITH BOOSTED 2.0-LITER

The idea of a four-cylinder Chevrolet Camaro brings back memories of the anemic LQ8 and LQ9 I4, also called the Iron Duke. The good news is, unlike that third-generation Camaro that the Iron Duke called home, underpowered Camaros are a thing of the past. This new 2.0-liter turbocharged I4 is no slouch, turning out 275 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque. Those figures should seem familiar, considering the Cadillac ATS offers the exact same mill.
According to the folks at General Motors, the four-banger will be available with whatever Camaro options you want, save for special packages like the ZL1 and other track packages. For folks that want a fun-to-drive budget convertible or a nice, loaded sports car without the fire-breathing, gas-guzzling 6.2-liter V8 underhood, here it is.

The 2016 Camaro 2.0-liter turbocharged I4 is on sale now.

What’s it like to drive?
Wheeling around Spring Mountain Raceway in Nevada, this Camaro is not only a load of fun, but also demonstrates a massive performance leap over the previous generation’s base coupe. The weight savings already made it more agile in the V6 and V8 trims, and the turbocharged I4 makes it even less nose heavy. Power is down from the 2015 base model, but since weight is down, too, that difference essentially nil.
Entering and exiting the corners, the car’s steering feels both direct and responsive. The tail never threatens to swing wide, but neither does the nose plow hard when entering a turn too hot. The factory brakes do a decent job at slowing the Camaro down, but they begin to betray their stock nature after several hard laps. If there are any serious track junkies interested in a four-cylinder Camaro, they would do well to invest in better pads and fluid (we assume they do regardless).

For folks not interested in how this Camaro acts during track days, a jog through Death Valley, California, does well enough to showcase its road manners. Opening it up down the long stretches of desert road reveals the four-cylinder’s shortfall. It isn’t slow, but when piloted back to back with the V6- and V8-powered convertibles in the pack, the little I4 clearly loses, and by an ample margin. And if triple digits somehow pop up on the speedo, the front end will start to exhibit a hint of lift: a downside of all that lightness in the nose.
The I4 also lacks the aural richness that the V8 and, to a lesser degree, the V6 bring to the table. Next to the SS Camaro’s throaty, crackling roar and the V6’s European-ish rasp, the I4’s note is oddly nondescript but for a bit of turbo whine.

And that’s just fine for daily use. Coupled with the generous sound-deadening material in the cabin, podcasts, talk radio or even some soothing smooth jazz can be enjoyed without too much interference from the outside world. Even off pavement and along a winding desert dirt road, the noise from the all the dirt slinging is deadened well, at least for a sports car.
The weakest feature of this latest generation Camaro (and the one before, and the one before that), is outward visibility. Keeping an eye on the mirrors when changing lanes or doing any sort of city driving is crucial. The tiny back window gets even worse if you check the box for the folding top; of course, actually using said top affords the opportunity to see the world around you unimpeded.

Do I want it?
The stigma of the Iron Duke might be a hard one to shake for older enthusiasts, but for those without the same hangups and on a budget, the 2.0-liter turbocharged Camaro is a solid bet -- especially when you throw in highway mileage near 30 mpg (still waiting on actual figures from Chevy). It also does not embarrass itself on a racetrack. Still, we would argue that the I4’s biggest competitor is the V6 Camaro. If you can afford the $1,495 premium, you’ll thank yourself. As good as the I4 feels to drive, the V6 is priced so closely that it’s hard to ignore.
For someone who wants to check a bunch of option boxes and create a fairly bespoke experience at a sane price, the Camaro offers that. The question most are asking, however, is: “Will it beat a base Mustang?” The best answer we can give at this point is a solid “maybe.”

ON SALE: Now
BASE PRICE: $26,695
DRIVETRAIN: 2.0-liter turbocharged DOHC I4, RWD, six-speed manual
OUTPUT: 275 hp @ 5600 rpm, 295 lb-ft of torque @ 3000-4500 rpm
0-60 MPH: 5.4 seconds
FUEL ECONOMY: 19/30/24 mpg(EPA City/Hwy/Combined)
PROS: Fun to whip around a track, while still getting great fuel economy.
CONS: Lacks the power of the V6.