Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Waaay off topic - Birds & more

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:15 PM

nature shots are always great to see.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Becky, you do a FABULOUS job of taking wildlife photos, These are GREAT. Thank you!
Do you have a web site dedicated to just wildlife photos?

Old 04-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Wayne, I used to have a section on my taxidermy website for wildlife photos but when I rebuilt my site I took it off. I'm changing it again so I may add it back on.

There is a guy on the taxidermy.net forum that takes outstaning photos. He's not a taxidermist so I don't know exactly why he frequents the site except that he loves the outdoors. I'll go find a link to his pics, they'll blow you away. He was selling them too, not sure if he still is.
He's really just a hobbiest photographer but he some $$$$ tied up in his equipment. I had a 500mm for my old film camera, loved that lense but I just flat can't afford one for this camera - maybe someday.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:18 AM
Photobucket

Here ya go - ENJOY
http://public.fotki.com/rodlrock/nature-1/nature/
He's been playing with photoshop too so some of the pics are made too look like art instead of regular photographers. They look pretty neat, but not really my thing.
He has some pics of old cars too, there's a menu on the side to choose from.

Hey look, I'm 2 posts away from 1000, LOL. I'm still a long way away from my 12275 on the other forum, LOL,

Old 04-28-2009, 07:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

you make me miss my SLR

I had to sell it in college to help pay for supplies and stuff.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

How did i miss this thread? I really love the pics you took. No one puts on a better show then nature. I love how the colors are so vibrant. You have a great eye for pictures Becky.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

I was thinking I'm envious of your xti - that's bad *** (to me)! Great photos! I would imagine they look even better in original resolution on your pc. Pics usually look grainier after I upload

Old 04-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

i'm glad you use a canon i bought a 30D a couple months ago and was hoping to get into using it more than my point-and-shoot kodak, but it doesn't autofocus my lenses so i think i'm going to sell it for a newer model that will work with them. i have a 500mm lens that is somewhere around 2 1/2 feet long and heavy as hell, but it's a fixed lens so it's just 500mm. it's only good if you can use a tri/monopod to hold it, otherwise it's near impossible to hold it steady enough to get good shots with it. i bought it on ebay for a couple hundred bucks a long time ago with the intention on using it at ballgames and local races, but it became too much of a pain. my main focus besides sports photography was nighttime/long exposure stuff, it got real expensive though when i was still using a film camera and then my developer went out of business so i just kinda stopped. since my brother bought his nikon though i've been trying to get back into it which is why i bought that canon. i really need to find a newer one. i'm jealous of yours, that thing is great great great!!

Old 04-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Photobucket

JuniorCar you're right, the resolution does change the way the pic looks, also not all monitors show the colors exactly the same either. Here's a couple from last year's Dickies 500 in Texas for ya

Last edited by dustybird3; 04-28-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

I use a Canon S5, which is a great camera in some company. Its about as nice as Canon has without going SLR. The advantage it has is the flip screen, which is way cooler than it gets credit for. It allows you to line up interesting angles without having to get behind the camera.

An example would be from the ground, like the BudChev shot that was PYFC Monte of the Month in November.

Its just a cool shot with the camera sitting on the ground and the screen angled straight up. The picture does look much better in original format. The camera has built in 12X optic zoom too. But its not SLR which I can't afford

Quick Reply: Waaay off topic - Birds & more