Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

US Military veterans and Obamacare

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default US Military veterans and Obamacare

Too all you US military veterans out there I wanted to pass on that I received a letter from the Veterans Administration. It pretty much read that since I was currently enrolled in the VA health care system I'am exempt from being required to purchase additional medical coverage under the Affordable health care act, as the VA coverage met the minimum requirements for health care. So I was like cool, don't need to spend $600 or so a month on Obamacare or face a penalty in the form of IRS garnishments of any tax returns. When you file your 2014 tax returns there is a space where you check that you are a vet and have VA coverage.

If your a vet and your not using the VA health care system it's really pretty easy to get enrolled in and save yourself a few bucks if your of the mind too.
I recently had an MRI out of pocket to me $50, Heart stress test on tread mill, sonagram etc... $50, medications usually free, eye glasses one free pair per year. What have you got to lose, you did your time, now reap one of the few benefit's you may ever get from playing Army.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:04 AM

When you file your 2014 tax returns there is a space

LoL, there seems to be `space everywhere (LOL)
Sometimes 2 much & sometimes, not enough (lol)

Thanks `Greg for posting & sharing for our Military Vet Member's.
I will let my grandfather know about this.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge/experience +
being a Super Super Turbo MCF contributor
Wish you a Healthy/Happy `Journey in `life
4-Sure

Old 03-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I too am a Vet. Been using the VA since I got out back in 98! True the cost is minimal, it goes according the your **** salary which you supply.
Another truth I'd that they will take what you owe out of your taxes every year. So you never have to pull $$$ out of your pocket. No forms to fill out or anything. I think that is a good thing like having a running tab with your Dr.
I ware glasses. The pare I got are fairly fashionable and came with transition lenses that are shatter resistant.
The only thing vets don't get is Dental. You have to be a Retiree or a 100% disabled vet to get dental through the VA. And No Obamacare!!!!!

Old 03-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
I too am a Vet. Been using the VA since I got out back in 98! True the cost is minimal, it goes according the your **** salary which you supply.
Another truth I'd that they will take what you owe out of your taxes every year. So you never have to pull $$$ out of your pocket. No forms to fill out or anything. I think that is a good thing like having a running tab with your Dr.
I ware glasses. The pare I got are fairly fashionable and came with transition lenses that are shatter resistant.
The only thing vets don't get is Dental. You have to be a Retiree or a 100% disabled vet to get dental through the VA. And No Obamacare!!!!!
And thats what blows JC, no dental coverage. Whats up with that? My teeth are starting to become a problem and it's either pay out the ying yang or just don't get them fixed and then that to leads to other problems later. Flippin dentists are making a fortune off of teeth. Ouch, feel another tooth ache coming on, need to extract it like Tom hanks did on "The Castaway" with a rock and ice skate blade. It's gonna hurt... Wham, wham, wham.

Name:  castaway-5tooth.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  17.1 KB

Old 03-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yeah it sucks. The only other way to get dental through the VA is to have a problem that wasn't fixed before you got out! But the medical care is Great!

Old 03-09-2014, 01:01 PM

I don't want to Hijack the thread at all but how is Obamacare in the US? Are you guys for or against it... Has it made things worse or better.

I know in Canada we have "Socialized Healthcare" which we pay into through Taxes. But I've heard a lot of bad reviews from Obamacare. Opinions? (I can open a new thread if you'd like)