Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Uh-Oh the Brakes are Broke

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 06:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad you and the Monte are ok dude! wow what a morning

Old 11-23-2011, 06:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As others have said, I'm glad to hear there was no damage or injuries. If the one brake line fatigued it may be a good idea to replace the other rear and both front lines while you're at it. They may look acceptable from the outside, but brake lines wear from the inside out. It will mean putting out a little more cash, but it may save you from experiencing a repeat of what you just went through. Next time the results may turn out different.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Old 11-23-2011, 11:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
Glad you and the Monte are ok dude! wow what a morning
Thanks. Fortunately, I wasn't driving the Monte. It's been winterized since early/mid October. I was in the '94 Grand Am (the good ol' daily driver).

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
If the one brake line fatigued it may be a good idea to replace the other rear and both front lines while you're at it. They may look acceptable from the outside, but brake lines wear from the inside out. It will mean putting out a little more cash, but it may save you from experiencing a repeat of what you just went through. Next time the results may turn out different.
I've either worked on or helps a coupld N-Body people with line issues like these. Most of these N-Bodies develop line leaks where the lines run along the rocker panel and to the back of the car (once in while it's more then that, but not often). Last time I saw the lines on the rockers, they looked almost brand new (I am amazed as they are factory lines). I've already replaced both rear sections that go from the flex line to the brake cylinder. I also had to re-run one rear brake line (which I spliced it back into the line under the rocker panel that runs up to the front, so it was a half replacement).
BUT - While I'm messing with this, I am going to re-inspect things and see how everything should shake out. I plan to stop at the store tonight and just grab a 25" roll of brack line, fittings and a couple unions (figure those materials are not that expensive and I will minimize runs to the parts store, what I don't use, I'll hang on to, it won't go to waste).

Old 11-23-2011, 01:23 PM

Sounds like the grand am is a trusty car for the age and miles,i had the brakes lines on my old f150 go out on my going down a hill not a fun time! lol

Old 11-23-2011, 06:46 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yeah,. that was about to be seriosuly bad for you there, inproper equipment, etc.... glad you got out of it okay and watch yourself out therE!!!

Reminder to all of us... it can ahppen to anyone!

Old 11-23-2011, 06:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I've worked on about 5 of the '94-'95 3100 powered Grand Ams (friends and family).

My wife's was sold in January after we got a huge score on an Impala we could NOT pass up. Outside of that, mine is the LAST of those ones still on the road and NOT turned into a tin can. It's a trooper. I've also had a good amount of experience with this specific generation of Grand Am, that helps a lot.

I won't lie, once in a while she has an issue (such as this brake line). But they aren't often (or often enough to bother me) and each one we sent in for scrap metal has also donated some parts to my "keep the Grand Am running" box

She ain't pretty anymore, but she does the job!!

The pic below was from 2008 when my sister's Grand Am became a fuel pump donor (mine is the one with the spoiler). Both cars had new fuel tanks, so my dad and I just dropped the tanks with pumps and swapped the entire tank.