Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Member's BLOG: TUESDAY, August 6, 2013 > Check 'In <

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good Morning `Matt & it's great to see you posting on the `Blog

Your paint work looks like something Space would `do (lol) I told you not to listen to him on how to paint... I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you on your first try...

I suggest you copy & make a thread on this topic in our
MCF >Paint, Body Work & Exterior
I'm not a good painter 4-Sure, but we have many talented member's that are Wish you good luck on getting it the way you want it to `be..."At first we don't succeed, try > try > try again" 4-Sure"

p.s. `Matt, I would search the forum & see what member have a great paint job on their engine cover that you like & contact them for help...
MCF = Member's helping Member's...Also check > What does your engine cover look like?

Last edited by Space; 08-06-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Space

Good Morning `Brian, I could hear you southern accent in "Morning Folks" LoL > Thanks for checking in & we wish you a safe & happy `day > EnJoy
Must be something I picked up along the way. Born and raised in the Midwest... y'all

Old 08-06-2013, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
Good morning everyone.

So how did everyone else go about painting their covers? Should I have layed primer or an adhesion aid, or something along those lines, first? Give me all your input guys.

Here's what it currently looks like with the patches that flaked off.

When painting plastic it is always a good idea to lay down an adhesion aid, such as plastic primer. When painting, I would also use a spray paint formulated specifically for plastics. Krylon Fusion is always a good choice, and I've never had any problems with it.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space
Your paint work looks like something Space would `do (lol) I told you not to listen to him on how to paint... I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you on your first try...
I'm usually good with paint but it's my first time tackling an engine cover; i.e. a big textured plastic piece.

Originally Posted by VictoryRedSled
When painting plastic it is always a good idea to lay down an adhesion aid, such as plastic primer. When painting, I would also use a spray paint formulated specifically for plastics. Krylon Fusion is always a good choice, and I've never had any problems with it.
I saw the adhesion aid and thought about it. Guess I should have just played it safe from the start. Thinking stripping it and starting over is the best thing to do at this point.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 08-06-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:24 AM

another thing to keep in mind is the relative humidity, i just looked up the humidity in your area and it's at 93% :O The more humid it is, the less paint likes to stick...just a thought!

Old 08-06-2013, 07:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

When painting plastic it is always a good idea to lay down an adhesion aid, such as plastic primer.
^^ This ^^

Also, prior to applying the adhesion promoter wipe the cover down with paint prep to insure all grease and wax has been removed. This will prevent flaking. Wear rubber gloves to prevent oil from your hands getting on the cover while handling prior to painting.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:28 AM

Hi `Matt & Good Morning`Aaron,
I may not know how to `paint, but I do know how to search LOL
Check out the below links > I hope they help `Matt > Good Luck
Painting Plastic Engine Parts - YouTube
► 9:08► 9:08
Dec 8, 2011 - Uploaded by customspraymods
http://www.customspraymods.com In this episode Dave shows how to paint plastic and use Hifill primer to ...
Painting plastic engine covers - Squarebody.COM

Old 08-06-2013, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member

another thing to keep in mind is the relative humidity, i just looked up the humidity in your area and it's at 93% :O The more humid it is, the less paint likes to stick...just a thought!
True, and I'm aware of that when I do paint, as well as temperature. Last night when I was shooting, humidity was 40-50% range and temps were in the 60's, so shouldn't have been an issue. I moved the cover inside to dry so the high humidity outside now shouldn't be an issue at this point.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
True, and I'm aware of that when I do paint, as well as temperature. Last night when I was shooting, humidity was 40-50% range and temps were in the 60's, so shouldn't have been an issue. I moved the cover inside to dry so the high humidity outside now shouldn't be an issue at this point.
Good deal, sounds like your second attempt ought to be more successful as im sure you know, when you strip the paint off, use something mild, straight up acetone or lacquer thinner will most likely discolor the finish on the plastic.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member

Good deal, sounds like your second attempt ought to be more successful as im sure you know, when you strip the paint off, use something mild, straight up acetone or lacquer thinner will most likely discolor the finish on the plastic.
What would be considered something mild?

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Member's BLOG: TUESDAY, August 6, 2013 > Check 'In <