Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Thieves using Mystery Gadget to Unlock cars.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 09:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
And that's an exception I can accept. If you have paid sponsors, then obviously you're obligated to have their brand name somewhere. But those cars are usually show cars anyway. They're not typical daily drivers, and don't usually sit out in someone's driveway unprotected.

If you really want to show off what you have in the car at meets and shows, make yourself one of those info boards.
I completely agree.

Now, a couple I know have a Vette that went from a summer driver to heavily modded (still street legal but VERY modded). The wife is the driver for the race meets. They got some HEAVY sponsorships.

It's gotten to a point that even though it's street legal, they don't enjoy driving it much on the local roads because of what it is now.

These days they are no longer sponsored (as they dropped off the racing stuff for a bit due to other things in life).

The car today STILL looks much like the picture below. That pic is a little old, so a couple of decals have been changed. Because of what they did with the car, even though they are no longer sponsored, they don't want to remove the decals (as they feel it will make the car look too plain and lose memory of the fun they had).

BTW - That car is stored inside all the time.

The decals are also another reason they don't drive it much locally. Magnet for cops AND punk kids that don't know better.

Attached Thumbnails Thieves using Mystery Gadget to Unlock cars.-detroit.mi.001.jpg  
Old 01-03-2014, 12:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My Monte does have 1/4 window stickers with some of the manufacturer build parts used. I see your point in as that it can tip off criminals to a potentially lucrative target vehicle. Never really gave it to much concern here in my po dunk small town USA area. The guys I run with Fox bodys, F350 diesels, STI's, Evo's and such have some kind of performance stickers on the cars. Kind of like discarding the sleeper demeanor and putting it in their face that this particular car has something going on, and bring your A game if you want to try us. You do raise a valid concen though as I do take her out of town and would hate to be the car ripped in a hotel parking lot while I was sleeping. So thanks in advance for ruining my good nights sleep when I'm on the road... LOL

Old 01-03-2014, 03:59 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
So thanks in advance for ruining my good nights sleep when I'm on the road... LOL
Glad we could help. What are friends for?

Old 01-03-2014, 08:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
So thanks in advance for ruining my good nights sleep when I'm on the road... LOL
Glad we could help. What are friends for?
Second that motion lol!