Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Supercharger or turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 04:25 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Supercharger or turbo?

shifting without lifting the throttle on a manual is called "power shifting". with a turbo, you bounce off the rev limiter. usually you have to lift... when you lfit, you take the air off your turbo and it has to "recharge" so to speak... takes skill to drive one. you ahve to learn just the right abount ot lift out while shifting wihtout over revving the engine and without losing the pressure off the turbo.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: rysZ34

ORIGINAL: God_Bot

I like the turbo, if I ever get the chance I would love to have a twin-turbo'd car someday.

Question, what is this No-Lift Shifting?
Garrett,
With a standard manual transmission one must lift off of the gas pedal when they depress the clutch otherwise the motor will rev like crazy. With "No-Lift" shifting, one doesn't need to lift off the gas to shift. This enables quicker times because you don't lose speed due to being in neutral until the driver shifts into another gear. It enables quicker shifts too. I remember a forum member (just don't remember who) Stating: This mustang stayed with me until he had to shift...lol. It's a pretty cool thing.
Ah, nifty.

I'll have to see if I can't get that if I ever get my chance to have a standard tranny. I've always shifted my 400ex fast enough that the clutch wasn't in long enough for the engine to rev up, not so in the sticks I've driven.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

We've got BOTH! They are both totally different.
The L67 S/C has been kicked up a little, and is now pushing about 300 BHP. Pushing a car that weighs about 2 ton. 140+ top end. Plenty of torque, firm, comfortable driving machine. Heated leather seats, big stereo, all the creature comforts. Needs an intercooler, water/methanol injection, a mild cam, and 3.29 gears instead of the 2.93's.
LadyT's Solstice GXP, WOW! I SWORE I'd NEVER buy another 4 banger as long as I lived! Guess what? This thing puts out more power from a turbo'd 2.0L per liter than ANY production motor ANY of the big 3 has ever or is now producing, INCLUDING the ZR1 Corvette
260 hp from 2L vs. 650 hp from 8L. The car: 2,800lbs, pure sports car. The ride? STIFF! Storage room? ZILTCH! Sexy? HOT! The turbo? TOO SMALL! Needs a Mitsi 16G. Now this was LadyT's Christmas present. I've put THOUSANDS into this car since Christmas: concealed radar/laser detector/laser blocker, GM splash guards, misc accessories, Magnaflow 3" exhaust, Dejon CAI, intercooler, and red intercooler pipes, spare ECM, and a Wester's Garage tune. Lyndon Wester is THE ONLY guy ANYWHERE to crack the Bosch ECM.
So where we at? The Intimidator SS is at 300 HP at the crank, and the Solstice GXP, "Lucy" is at 290 HP at the WHEELS! AND 1200 lbs lighter! When Lucy was stock, from 70-120 mph they were dead even on I-94. She's going to SPANK me now! Still looking to add water/methanol injection and a high-flow cat to Lucy, which should put it to about 330 WHP.
My point: BOOST IS GOOD! BUT, if you want REAL power, turbos are where the REAL power is at. Just ask Zoomer at ZZPerformance about his 900 HP 3.8L GP! (turbo'd)! 9.01 in the 1/4.
Here is the CarDomain link to LadyT's "Lucy". See where I've been spending my time and money lately! TURBOS RULE!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3038609

Old 04-02-2008, 07:36 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^ X2

Wayne is dead on. Turbo, all the way.

Although, I will be going Twin-Charged, staying with non-ported heads, my XP cam, and keeping my IC...

Everyone has their opinion of what a good car is all about.

If you have a 3.8 N/A, turbo, all of the way..

But those of us with 3.8 S/C like to mod over time, as it is more cost efficient this way... which is why we stay S/C (or eventually twin charge)

Good luck! =)

-Keegan

Old 04-02-2008, 08:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

When you say twin chargingI assume you mean turboing and SC car right? Is that even cost efficient? Ive never seen anyone do it before.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:10 PM

you've never seen an oil rig in person before, but you put gas in your car, right?

Twin charging is actually the BEST way to do it, because you get the initial boost from the super, and the long-term benefits of colder higher boost applications as with the turbo. Best of both worlds. And yes, it's actually the same efficiency.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:43 PM

I would rather have a S/C just for the sound. i love the whine of a S/C to me it is the best sound in the world of hearing it just scream when you are on the throttle. i could have a S/C car and i would notneed any type of radio becausei could listien to the S/C all day. Can you tell i like the S/C a little bit

true story one time i was umpiring a Baseball game. i was behind the plate and a moded GTP when by on the street and i watched it go by because i could hear the S/C whine and i missed the pitchand i didn't make a call so people thought i called it a ball. But i guess it went right down the middle of the plate because the other upired asked me what the Hell happened when i didn't call it a strike.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:46 AM

Hey Rockn, just be careful that you guys don't get pulled over by any police officers from our area on CarDomain...In all 50 states JAMMERS and BLOCKERS ARE in fact illegal. lol. If you want to see for your self PM me and I'll send you the link. It's funny because EVERYONE has detectors/jammers/blockers....it's one of those things that isn't enforced 'normally' because it isn't worth it. The Solstice is freaking SWEET too.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:24 AM

Supercharger: WHRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Turbocharger: wrrrrrrrrWRRRRRRRRRRR

Old 04-04-2008, 04:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

What is wrong with doing both supercharging and turbo charging.