Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Special Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 03:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Does this one count. It came with a 4.3 turbocharged V6

GM also did a convertible S10 but it leaked horribly after a short time.

I had someone offer me a 454SS for 10000 in 1991. It was only a year old and he paid cash for it but needed to sell it ASAP. I just bought my truck 3 months before so I didnt have any way to get it. I had a 1990 s10 so I tried to sell it so I could buy the SS. I still want one of those.

Also one of the conversion van places did a bunch of trucks with all the custom accessories like ground effects, louvers and graphics. Ithink some of them even had leather interiors and TV/VCR combos(extended cab models) I know these were dealer installed items but they were still cool trucks

Old 05-26-2012, 04:05 AM

Dude! I love the SYCLONES and TYPHOONS!

Old 05-26-2012, 05:36 AM

Around 1990 Chevy made an SS Silverado with a 454 and red badging. It was a nice looking truck -
In 1990, Chevrolet introduced a high performance variant of the GMT400 under the Super Sport emblem called the 454SS. It was available only as a 2WD half-ton regular cab short box in Onyx Black only with a garnet red interior. The 454SS was powered by a 454 cu in (7.4 L) V8 producing 230 hp (172 kW) and 385 lb·ft (522 N·m).<SUP id=cite_ref-hsw454ss_44-0 class=reference>[45]</SUP> A 3-speed automatic transmission (Turbo Hydra-Matic 400) and 3.73 rear axle ratio added to the truck's performance. The suspension was also upgraded with 32 mm (1.3 in) Bilstein gas-filled shock absorbers, a 32 mm (1.3 in) front stabilizer bar, and 12.7:1 fast-ratio steering gear assembly.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:46 AM

Thanks `Joe, for your post & Infor...
Some bad words about Chevy on the MCF by some It's a test of patience/tolerance ~> 4-Sure..
Yes, freedom of speech, but there are so many in our world that abuse...& we move on....& hope
others that are not happy, move on also.....?

<CENTER></CENTER>
The 1990 Chevrolet 454 SS is a high performance full size pickup that mated the C1500 standard two wheel drive cab with an absolutely killer 454ci 7.4 liter, eight cylinder engine(V-8), the 3 speed automatic transmission and a 3.73 rear axle ratio helped thrust the 454 beast under the hood, the engine(90 Model) produced a maximum of 230hp, 385 foot pounds of torque, All this power was pushed out to Goodyear tires on Special 454 SS rims. The interior comes equipped with a special plush Garnet Red cloth interior and high-back reclining sport bucket seats with a Center Console.
<CENTER></CENTER><CENTER>Picture by Ron Grant, 1991 model

</CENTER>
The soft garnet red cloth seats and red interior with black trim, black steering wheel and vents makes this not only a confortable ride but looks tough too.
<CENTER></CENTER><CENTER>Picture by Ron Grant, 1991 model

</CENTER>
With the Huge 454ci Big Block there is not much room left. Unlike the 350 and smaller Engines this 454ci fills the entire engine compartment.

Other items include front airdam with lights, 454 SS graphic decals on rear bed left and right, black paint with black grille, bumpers, and mirrors. Halogen Headlamps, Also standard for the 454 SS were 32 millimeter Bilstein gas-filled shock obsorbers, a 32 millimeter front stabilizer bar, 12.7 to 1 fast-ratio steering gear assembly and heavy duty jounce bumpers, great looking black or chrome lug nut caps.

This specific model of truck was only produced from 1990 to 1993 and cost about $18k to $20k new.
================================================== ====================
p.s. Lou Green, I love those GMC speical edition trucks...Thanks 4 posting...

Last edited by Space; 05-28-2012 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Took & Bash & posted bad words
Old 05-27-2012, 11:48 PM

Space I didn't start this thread to bash Chevy. I don't think I have done that. My intent is to increase my product knowledge of Chevy products old and new. If Chevy made some special trucks I want to know about them. No bashing on my part.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
Space I didn't start this thread to bash Chevy. I don't think I have done that. My intent is to increase my product knowledge of Chevy products old and new. If Chevy made some special trucks I want to know about them. No bashing on my part.
Then you don't have anything to worry `bout...Why did you think you did ?

Last edited by Space; 05-28-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:28 AM

I was a mopar man also so I understand what he was saying. He is not promoting mopar they just have a tendency to make alot of limited run highly collectable products. Chevy makes more working man vehicles. Hence why the camaro had the lowest hp of the three muscle car remakes. It also was the most affordable. They have made an effort as of late to make more limited run vehicles like our nascar montes, the zl1, ect.. I tride to search for chevy limited run trucks all that I could find was the 454 ss you posted and the intimidator ss. Mopar has always tride to make something diffrent like the little red express and they were the first to use electric fans stock on there dakota pickup. Ford aswell always made efforts to draw people in with Harley edition, lightning, and now the raptor. Chevy currently has no special edition trucks they just make a good truck, good power, and good amount of options. Of the big three they also have the best gas mileage. He is looking for something special in a chevy pickup so for what I could find thats either the intimidator ss or the 454 ss. But if you get a 53 those are always special. That would be my top pick a 53 chevy pickup or if you can find one a 5 window those are rare.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:15 AM

Thanks Mr Grizzly Mint for your understanding and all your contributions to the MCF...
Managing your migraines <~ Maybe there is help out there

Below 4 EveryOne

Last edited by Space; 05-28-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space

I like this design. Except for the oversized rims. But I suspect the oversized rims are only for the concept vehicle. Which is good, because low profile tires are not practical on a truck. Like most concept vehicles, I expect the production models will get smaller, more conservative looking wheels. Flashier wheels available as an upgrade option.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
I like this design. Except for the oversized rims. But I suspect the oversized rims are only for the concept vehicle. Which is good, because low profile tires are not practical on a truck. Like most concept vehicles, I expect the production models will get smaller, more conservative looking wheels. Flashier wheels available as an upgrade option.
They were just concept, this is the actual outcome of the truck..

Someone mentioned the harley davidson trucks, those things are some of the coolest trucks I have ever seen..

and so are the raptors..

Last edited by brendan127; 05-28-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Special Trucks