Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Some Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 11:49 PM

Completely agree with everything said so far. My position is pretty much at the bottom of the pay scale at my workplace. My main job is to clean cars and get them presentable and ready to rent for a Rent-A-Car. I've been told by everyone higher up who I've worked with that I'm awesome. Those with my job at other offices in the area are a little less than awesome. I almost always have to go over cars that are sent to us that are supposedly "clean" because they're completely half-a**ed. I find it embarrassing having a customer put into a car that isn't as clean as it can be. It's certainly not a difficult job; there's no reason not to do your best. If you're getting paid to do something, you do it.

There are just too many excuses not to work. Parents with no education or work experience can make more money going on welfare than working at McDonalds. Nobody wants to start at the bottom and work their way up and nobody wants to get the education needed for the higher paid positions. People forget that welfare and unemployment were not meant to be career options.

We live in a society where children are given awards for just showing up, not because they did well and succeeded. In trying not to hurt anyone's feelings, we've created a generation of lazy whiners who think they should be handed everything without having to work for it. Nobody takes responsibility for themselves anymore.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Where do I sign up for welfare, I've been working to hard, I need a break and my house/car paid off.....

Old 04-08-2013, 04:04 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by SnakebiteSS
The pic Amanda posted pretty much says it all. Too many parents are convinced that their little angels are perfect, and the rest of the world is at fault.

Keane, I can tell you it's not just America. Canada is exactly the same way. Everything you guys said in this thread is pretty much dead on here too.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:06 AM

Honesty and hard work are commendable traits of character, but they will never make a success of the person who does not guide them toward a definite major purpose.

"I've learned that making a `Living, is not the same thing as making a `Life."
Hi `Keane,
Sad, but Great Thread about people....Some (many) people have not been taught how to work hard or even work Many have not been taught to give `up, work hard to `get...Many people did not have good teachers/mentors/parents/examples/education/tech schools, etc

Many have mastered how 2 take without work...They seem to feel entitled & that the world must take care of them...

What are you doing to make it better for you, for `all...? ?
I'm just giving `up to get 2 where I want 2 `be! (It seems like it's a never ending journey, but the rewards for hard work to me are worth `it). "Every `Job is a Self Portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your work with excellence & you will get to where you want to `be" > 4-Sure

What are you willing to give `up to get to where you want to `be ?
That is the question ?

Thanks Keane & member's for your posts & thoughts...
(I'm presently @ work & really buzzed on space coffee

I must depart > > > > Work is calling my name Peace/`Out

Last edited by Space; 04-08-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Some people are inherently lazy while others have ambitions in life. Ones pay can really effect their performance and affect their attitude about the job. So many people work for so little the stress of being at work for 40 hrs and pulling in perhaps a $280 per week paycheck can get one down. Even minor bills like utilities, phone, fuel, rent and food quickly drain ones check to zilch. No money for Jet Ski's, out of town vacations, fast cars or other cool hobbies. And then there you are back to work the next week to only do it all over again, probably seems mind numbing to most people and beats you down to where it's a "Thats good enough" attitude. I mean where's the reward for being the Super Trooper employee at? And in the same company the owners and CEO's are pulling in mega-millions in wages and annual bonuses, 2 months of vacations to St. Croix and other exotic places while working 30 hour weeks. Unemployment is unofficially at about the 20% range if you count people who are no longer on the roles. Over 90 million people now with out jobs, highest unemployemnt since 1979, and many companies will only pay the bare minimum because they know people are hungry for work. Kind of kicking you while your down. So in some ways I don't blame the Slackers, the old adage is still true in the job market "You get what you pay for" Personally I have been self employed for over 30 years and adhere to the highest work standards I can personally commit myself to. 09 years in the US Army provided me with a Can Do attitude and never quit till the job is done right. Yet I still insure I pay my men fair wages even though it takes away from my bottom line. But on the other hand everyone is happy to come to work and we laugh and B.S. in the morning and at lunches etc. So the big cats really need to understand they have an impact on how well their workers want to perform. Stop shipping the jobs overseas, pay your workers a fair wage and watch the morale turn around!!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I thank you all for reading all my stuff on the first page and I agree with you all. I started at the bottom of the bottom. Minimum wage ($7.25) and as a cashier. Though I have progressed, I haven't gotten far. Time off is hard to get and im locked in working weekends so I can't even go out. I work hard for a little bit of money, worse yet since they implemented hour cutting. But most days I still go there and do the best I can on the idea that maybe one day it'll all pay off.

Last edited by Leprechaun93; 04-08-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 AM

Don't give `up Keane...Work history & references are very important when you change jobs or your present work ethic's are reviewed.

A honest resume is a great asset to advancing @ work & in life...
Good Luck 2 U "Don't give `up" 4-Sure

Old 04-08-2013, 08:55 AM

About a year ago I applied to a certain place for a part-time job. It seemed like things were going well, but long story short, it didn't happen. No interview, no update. Eventually, he told me the reason he didn't even consider my application was because 'people my age never have a good work ethic.'

The irony is that he hated his job, worked like he was on autopilot, and stole from the store.