Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Some Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Some Thoughts

In the past few weeks watching and witnessing various things, I've got some thoughts i'd like to share with you all.

I work in a place where the pay is generally low and the jobs require no education. There is a common attitude that runs through the place, do as little work as possible to earn your money. Now this attitude bothers me. This is your job, its what you do day after day. If this is what you do in life, I would like to think people would want to do it to the best of the ability. That's how I see it, I've been given this job, i'm going to do it the best I can, and care about what I do.

Whether you're someone who stocks shelves working for minimum wage or a brain surgeon making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, I would love to think you should actually care about what kind of job you do. Imagine if doctors and surgeons didn't care about their job and did as little as possible each day.

Most of the people I work with are still rather young too, most being 30 or younger i'd say, and to have this mentality to do as little as possible, they're just never going to get anywhere in life with that attitude. Start caring about what you do, do your job to the best of your ability, because you never know when you might get a great job opportunity and that employer is going to look at your past history, and if they find out that you never do any work you're probably not going to get that job.

I feel like it is too much to ask anymore from my generation. No one wants to work, they just want the money for nothing. That attitude isn't going to get you anywhere in life. Exceed in what you do, do a great job, be eager to learn more(as I am) and hopefully you go far.

It just bothers me that I have to work with a bunch of lazy slackers, I and others that care about their job end up picking up the slack when we shouldn't have to.

I realize I have rambled on quite a bit and could go on further but i'll stop there. If you took the time to read everything, I thank you and hope you enjoyed it.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is what happens everywhere in the United States these days.... people lose their jobs, they get more from unemployment anyways, why would they work hard?

People don't like a president, they skip work and boycott and all that nonsense... People don't understand that the harder they work the more they'll move up in a company and the more they have potential to get paid.

No one likes to work hard anymore, it's the American way lol

Of course there are people that aren't like this, but it's rare to see these days.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member

Its very rare, I feel like an outsider because I come to work and do the best I can each day. Most people my generation don't want to work or they just do the bare minimum.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

I hear ya, i work in a warehouse people ranging from 20-50 even then i see alot of skating by working slow taking thier sweet **** time to do what is at hand, me i am there to do the job and go home, they where letting soo much overtime fly that come 5(normal closing time) the would slow down and milk the hell out for the overtime, since my old position was eliminated i came up front and the latest we get out is 5:45 where befor mornal time would be 7-8

Not only that but i do side jobs working on cars and working on getting my detail buiss off the ground,

Old 04-07-2013, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member

If you want something in life, you've got to work to get it. I doubt these slackers will really get far in life.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

You have multiple attitudes:
1 - Too many "young" people today (I'll say 35 and younger) feel they are "owed" something for nothing.
2 - People become "complacent" and have no ambition to move beyond where they are currently. So, it does not matter if they do a good job or a bad job, they are happy with what they take home.
3 - Some people don't value their time, so why should they value anyone else's? If they can milk overtime, it's fine with them, they had nothing better to do (but an honest worker wants to get the job done right and fast and enjoy a little OT pay but get back to their home life).
4 - And don't forget, some people are simply lazy.

I've seen all 4 of the above and I'm sure everyone here has as well.

I have nothing against the ideas of welfare and unemployment for those who need it and use it as it's intended (a tool to help people get back on their feet and become self sufficient). But too often a good idea like that is abused. Such as I know some people who have nice cars, nice homes (living a life beyond what I can afford), but on the back end, their life is paid for by a near minimum wage job, welfare, supplemented with mom and dad making up the rest. I could not live with myself living like that. I live within my means, it may not be the most luxurious lifestyle, but at least it's not done by abusing someone else (and abusing welfare is abusing all the people who pay taxes that fuel that program).

Old 04-07-2013, 09:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

The slackers...will have 1 thing to look forward to, When its retirement time, and they realize there social security benefits are far less than most who worked hard all there lives... They will scratch there head and wish.. That they put forth
a stronger effort.. While Keans working at corporate for his hard work and determination...
The slackers will still be stocking shelves!!!

As the saying goes....

YOU GET WHAT YOU GIVE!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 04-07-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:46 PM

I specifically see this in my work study job at school but the thing is people who do a good job like me get praised and told if you want the hours you've got them is rather have you work over x y and z. Can't wait to become a statey in MA that's my goal and hopefully my work Ethic is enough to get me there

Old 04-07-2013, 11:12 PM

In some jobs, if you work hard enough for long enough, you will inevitably move up the career ladder. However, this simply isn't true for many jobs, especially in the last few years. In some situations, employers simply cannot afford to give you a raise - then what benefit is there for you? Keep working your **** off for something you know will never happen? In other cases, there's just no room for upward mobility from the get-go.

Of course those are just examples and do not apply to all jobs and I do not advocate laziness. A lot of folks of my generation were raised with the "you can do (and have) anything you want to" attitude but weren't told what was necessary to achieve it. And of course, no child left behind. What resulted was a significant loss in work ethic and everyone was given the same benefits while putting in various levels of effort, or lack thereof. Parents now coddle their children more than they have in the past and do not adequately prepare them for the real world, so at best, they are left on their own to finally figure it out the hard way at 18 (or 19, or 22, or 25...). It's really not surprising to see the results.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:28 PM

I see it all the time from work. Having come from a military background, it absolutely drives me nuts. Granted, there is laziness in the military at times, but those are usually weeded out. If not during Initial Entry Training (IET), they'll be weeded out by the time they come up for re-enlistment. While it prevents me from going back to Active Duty (because I'd have to take a drop in grade to do so), the rule of being automatically kicked out of Active Duty if you don't make E-5 makes a lot of sense. Things make so much more sense overall in a military setting and the attitudes that y'all have mentioned are by far the hardest things for veterans to deal with coming off Active Duty. Harder than dealing with the effects of being in a war zone, as hard as that probably is for some to believe. I have several coworkers who are prior military or (like me) are in the reserves after having Active Duty time. They say the same thing I do when we start venting about work.

Quick Reply: Some Thoughts