Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Solar eclipse pits superstition ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Solar eclipse pits superstition ? ? ?

Solar eclipse pits superstition against science

Are you Superstitious ?

Post what they are ?????

AFP – An Indian astronomy researcher explains solar eclipses in Kolkata on July 19. Indian astrologers are …

by Phil Hazlewood Phil Hazlewood – Sun Jul 19, 10:23 pm ET

MUMBAI (AFP) – Indian astrologers are predicting violence and turmoil across the world as a result of this week's total solar eclipse, which the superstitious and religious view as a sign of potential doom.
But astronomers, scientists and secularists are trying to play down claims of evil portent in connection with Wednesday's natural spectacle, when the moon will come between the Earth and the sun, completely obscuring the sun.
In Hindu mythology, the two demons Rahu and Ketu are said to "swallow" the sun during eclipses, snuffing out its life-giving light and causing food to become inedible and water undrinkable.
Pregnant women are advised to stay indoors to prevent their babies developing birth defects, while prayers, fasting and ritual bathing, particularly in holy rivers, are encouraged.
Shivani Sachdev Gour, a gynaecologist at the Fortis Hospital in New Delhi, said a number of expectant mothers scheduled for cesarean deliveries on July 22 had asked to change the date.
"This is a belief deeply rooted in Indian society. Couples are willing to do anything to ensure that the baby is not born on that day," Gour said.
Astrologers have predicted a rise in communal and regional violence in the days following the eclipse, particularly in India, China and other Southeast Asian nations where it can be seen on Wednesday morning.
Mumbai astrologer Raj Kumar Sharma predicted "some sort of attack by (Kashmiri separatists) Jaish-e-Mohammad or Al-Qaeda on Indian soil" and a devastating natural disaster in Southeast Asia.
An Indian political leader could be killed, he said, and tension between the West and Iran is likely to increase, escalating into possible US military action after September 9, when fiery Saturn moves from Leo into Virgo.
"The last 200 years, whenever Saturn has gone into Virgo there has been either a world war or a mini world war," he told AFP.
It is not just in India that some are uneasy about what will transpire because of the eclipse.
In ancient China they were often associated with disasters, the death of an emperor or other dark events, and similar superstitions persist.
"The probability for unrest or war to take place in years when a solar eclipse happens is 95 percent," announced an article that attracted a lot of hits on the popular Chinese web portal Baidu.com.
Sanal Edamaruku, president of the Indian Rationalist Association, dismissed such doomsday predictions.
"Primarily, what we see with all these soothsayers and astrologers is that they're looking for opportunities to enhance their business with predictions of danger and calamity," he told AFP.
"They have been very powerful in India but over the last decade they have been in systematic decline."
Astronomers and scientists are also working to educate the public about the eclipse.

Travel firm *** and Kings has chartered a Boeing 737-700 aircraft to give people the chance to see the eclipse from 41,000 feet (12,500 metres).
Experts will be on board to explain it to passengers, some of whom have paid 79,000 rupees (1,600 dollars) for a "sun-side" seat on the three-hour flight from New Delhi.
The eclipse's shadow is expected to pass over the aircraft at 15 times the speed of sound (Mach 15), said Ajay Talwar, president of the SPACE Group of companies that promotes science and astronomy.
"It's coming in the middle of the monsoon season. On the ground, there's a 40 percent chance of seeing it in India. On the aircraft you have almost a 90 percent chance of seeing the eclipse," he added.
Siva Prasad Tata, who runs the Astrojyoti website, straddles the two worlds.
"There's no need to get too alarmed about the eclipse, they are a natural phenomenon," the astrologer told AFP.
But he added: "During the period of the eclipse, the opposite attracting forces are very, very powerful. From a spiritual point of view, this is a wonderful time to do any type of worship. "It will bring about good results, much more than on an ordinary day."
This must be a KidSpace Post Oh `No

Are you Superstitious ? ?
Do U Believe ?
Aren't U amazed what U will read/see on
the
MCF ?
Do U believe in aliens ?

..4-Sure

Last edited by Space; 07-20-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I heard also that were going to be visited. Aliens driving Monte Carlo's are going to come and live among us.

I'll keep an eye out for them. You too Space. Lets us all know if you see any.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by JJsRYD
I heard also that were going to be visited. Aliens driving Monte Carlo's are going to come and live among us.

I'll keep an eye out for them. You too Space. Lets us all know if you see any.

whew, and i thought they would be driving used yugo's!

Old 07-20-2009, 04:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03Monte
Those Aliens are showing up on 2012.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

`No,

we are intelligent alien beings, & we only came for
the SuperAweSome Monte Carlo Earth
Vessel for 5 beings.
WoW

Power/Style/Sound/Big Bang 4 `SpaceBucks/
Runs SuperSuper on `Space Fuel
Just ask any member on that Planet `Earth Forum
MCF, & they will confirm our preference
in our choice of vehicle to travel.
We come in Peace, and will leave more
then we have taken.... 4-Sure!!
Peace Out

Old 07-20-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by JJsRYD
Those Aliens are showing up on 2012.

They must be coming in to help sell a new 2012 yugo-nowhere (that's about the only way they would sell one)

Old 07-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Little known fact: Space ran for president! Campaign poster is attached below.

They must be coming in to help sell a new 2012 yugo-nowhere (that's about the only way they would sell one)
LMAO funny!

Ah! You mean the MCF staff Yugo? We got rid of that with the old forum. Still got the pics of it though.

Attached Thumbnails Solar eclipse pits superstition ? ? ?-vote-space.jpg  
Old 07-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

i'm only superstitious when it comes to sports. always had to wear #7 when i played softball, always ate the same thing before games and used the same water bottle during. had an at-the-plate and on-mound ritual too.

i am sure there are some other forms of life out there. we can't be the only ones!