Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

so my mom had an idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default so my mom had an idea

what do you think about getting rid of all the drive thrus in fast food places to save on gas and to help fight global warming?

We were talking about global warming and the price of gas at dinner a few nights back and my mom came up with the idea that there should be no more drive thrus at places to save on gas andexhaust emmisions.So the more i think about it the better it sounds becasue even if you go thru the drive thru you are running your car for at least 1-3mins then just think about all the people in the U.S. that do that every day. Then when you have to actually wait in line during the eating hours how much gas would be saved at that time to.

then also to go along with this maybe our country (U.S.) would not have such an obesity problem because people would actually have to get out of there car and walk to get there food, or maybe they will decide that they really dont need that greasy food and go home and make something else that is probably at lest a little healthier than most of the fast food places around here.

now given the chances of this happening slim and none but, i would think that it could really help with some of the problems that are going on right now.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Default RE: so my mom had an idea

you mom's idea is a very good idea......it is true alot of people that are hungry just drive up and get food to lazy to go in and get it or to lazy to go home and cook.........plus alot of over weight people will be losing alot of weight because some of them are to ambaressed to walk in but not do drive up and get it........her idea is so good that i my self would lose a few pounds lol.......at least 20 more i would like to lose ......

so yes i vote for yes for your mom's good idea

Old 04-24-2008, 05:17 PM

Sounds good to me, I don't often use a drive through 'cause I don't like my car smelling like fast food...

Old 04-24-2008, 05:48 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i can count on one hand how many times my car has been through a drive through.... mainly to get something to go home with and the line inside was long due to a bus, or last week i was taking a friend home and i ran through a drive thru ( he was little skinny guy so i ran through the drive thru for him). i think it is a great idea... NC was talking about putting a tax on drive throughs for the very reasons you mentioned.

NC was saying that it would help with the obesity epidemic here, cut fuel usages, and encourage people to get up and walk a little more...

but heres the thing.. think about the cars you see in the drive thru.... think about if they had to park and go inside. restaurants today aren't build to handle that.

most of hte time, even if i'm going to eat on the go (never in the Monte, but I will in our old Pick up or suburban), i go inside. i always take note fo the car i would be behind. lots of times i can go inside, wait in a shorter line, and come out, hop in my car and the car i would have been behind is 2-3 cars from getting his food and i'm gone....

overall though... i think a tax on the drive thru is a good idea. it has to be a big tax though.. a 10¢ taxisn't much... it needs to be like a $1 taxatleastto work. jsut think fo the extra people going in and out of stores and the congestion that causes though, plus the parking issues....
i'll give it more thought and come back if my opinion changes or if i think of something else.

p.s.: Henderson, NC now has a tax on soda's... great idea in my opinion... but it's only 5¢ i think. i drink water with every meal myself

Old 04-24-2008, 05:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

http://globalwarming.org

Old 04-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I voted that it's a good idea, and I'll go into that in a second.

But one good thing the drive through has done is opened up thechoices andhelped out drivers with disabilities.

In Canada, we have a chain of donut shops named Tim Horton's. They've recently expanded into the US when they were bought out by Wendy's.

Anyway... In Canada, Tim Horton's (aka "Timmies") is huge. Bigger than Starbucks.Recently Timmies has been buying very small corner lots and opening drive-thru's.Every town in Canada with a Timmies has traffic nightmares caused by cars clogging the streets waiting in line to go through the drive-thru. Most Tim Horton's drive thru's only hold a handfulof cars. They do this because they'd rather have cars spill out onto the street, rather than buy a bigger piece of property and pay more in property taxes.

I also agree with the idea of obesity and drive-thru's. Ionce weighed 275 pounds, and it was so convenient and less embarassing to feed my junkfood habitusing the Burger King and Mickie D's drive thru. IfI had to get out of the car, I wouldn't go.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:14 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds good to me, I don't often use a drive through 'cause I don't like my car smelling like fast food...

Me too. Infact, I don't like anyone eating in my car(s).