Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Had to drive mom-in-law's "boat"

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default Had to drive mom-in-law's "boat"

or granny car as my son calls it. Had to take her to the doctor and she insisted on using her gas. Just great. It's an '01 Grande Marques and I've drove the thing many times, but since I got my MC I've only drove it twice, another dr. trip and once to see if changing the air pressure made the "pull" go away, it did.
I told her before I quit driving it that her brakes are not right and neither is her steering, no one listens. After driving mine, even with my ISS issues, I KNOW there is something not right with hers. The steering feels sloppy, that's the best I can describe it, going straight down the road the steering wheel is not straight, and the brakes feel "funny". It stops ok, but it's not right. It almost feels like it's just wore out but it only has a little over 50K miles.
I'm almost afraid to drive it, and I am afraid for her to drive it, but no one listens. You would think they would after I griped for a few months about my truck's brakes, but no one listened then either 'til they didn't work one day and I took the door off my sister's truck. Master cylinder was bad, sometimes you had brakes and sometimes you didn't - btw, that's NOT a good thing.
I'm not the only one that says somethings wrong, her brother-in-law made a comment a while back about it. Everyone just layed it off on every vehicle feels a little different and you're used to what you drive all the time. OK, fine and dandy, so then why would I say there is something wrong when I drove it more than anyone else? I felt the change over time. I guess I'm just crazy.
Just venting, but if anyone has any suggestions as to what it might be, besides me being crazy, I'm all ears, er, eyes.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Default RE: Had to drive mom-in-law's "boat"

[align=center]Hi `Becky,[/align][align=center]Sounds like your Mother in law needs a all wheel alignment [/align][align=center]to her Marque. She could have hit a bad `pot : ) hole,[/align][align=center]or hit something in the road that caused problems[/align][align=center]to the tie rods, suspension,etc.[/align][align=center]How are the tires ? Are they showing uneven wear ?[/align][align=center]To me it sounds like a dangerous car to `drive [][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]I would suggest having a certified mechanic check out[/align][align=center]the car, especially the brakes.[/align][align=center]If she, or the family doesn't listen. [8D] I would tell her you [/align][align=center]would like to get a life insurance policy on her [/align][align=center]I do hope that she or family insist..[/align][align=center]Good Luck,[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Oh, wish you & the reader of these words a `happy first day of `spring.[/align][align=center](Time to detail the Monte's : )[/align]

Old 03-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Photobucket

I'll check the tire wear, but last time I looked they looked even.
It just doesn't feel right. I'd make a terrible Nascar driver trying to relay info back to my crew chief, LOL.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:25 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

(the problem)
that her brakes are not right.....

(the cause)
'01 Grande Marques

(the problem)
and neither is her steering......

(the cause)
'01 Grande Marques

Old 03-20-2008, 12:44 PM

[align=center]Hi `Becky,[/align][align=center]The BeachBums got the below information for MSN Auto's[/align][align=center]It has a decent reliability rating & Resale.[/align][align=center]If she can't fix `it, tell her to trade it for a Chevy.[/align][align=center]I do hope she gets it checked out...Good Luck, `Space[/align]
[:-]
2001 Mercury Grand Marquis

[align=center][/align]
Click below link to read more about it [:-]Check for problem area's [:-]
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align]

Kelley Blue Book Price

$7,450- $8,625

Reliability

MSN Ratings
User
[align=center][/align]

Old 03-20-2008, 12:52 PM

[align=center]Below are list of Monte Carlo's[/align][align=center]and Price + More.[/align][align=center]Put your Mother in law in a `Monte : )[/align]
Vehicles below are grouped by generation. Vehicles with similar body styles and specifications are listed together.
[align=center][/align]

1995 - 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Search Used Listings
[align=center][/align]

There are 5 Monte Carlo listings in your area Zip Code 32978. Prices start at $14,946.
[align=center][/align][center]

Vehicle

Kelley Blue Book
Expert Rating
User Rating

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

$11,850- $16,700
6.0 out of 10
9.0 out of 10

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

$11,650- $16,450
6.0 out of 10
8.0 out of 10

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

$10,300- $14,800
6.0 out of 10
9.0 out of 10

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

$9,075- $12,000
6.0 out of 10
9.3 out of 10

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

$8,100- $10,800
6.0 out of 10
9.3 out of 10

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

$7,650- $10,200
6.0 out of 10
8.9 out of 10

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

$6,875- $9,275
6.0 out of 10
8.9 out of 10

1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

$4,975- $5,850
6.0 out of 10
8.7 out of 10

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
[color=#07519a][IMG]http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/images/spacers/spacer.g

Old 03-20-2008, 01:00 PM

RJ Hit the nail right on the head. Grand Marquis. Even though you have ISS issues with your Monte Carlo SS, you still have a sport tuned suspension/steering/car. ) But you are right, even going down the road straight, the wheel should be...lol. The VERY first car I drove was a 1985 Caprice Classic WAGON....I think it had a rudder, and next to the manual choke pull there was a button that I thought said "Floatation Device". ) LOL.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Photobucket

Space, I TRIED to talk her into a MC before she bought that one, believe me I did (I knew I'd be driving it quite a bit). Was a no go, didn't want just two doors. She had an 80's model Lincoln Town Car before this one - a real boat. She looked at another one of those and the Crown Vic which is basically the same as the Grande Marques. At least the Crown Vic was red, but she wanted blue.
I noticed this "problem" before I ever got my MC and I had never even been inside a MC before I test drove mine.

I wasjoking (well, sorta)one day after we almost got hit in her car but before I got mine. I asked her if it gets totalled could she just get a MC next time since I drove it more than her anyway. She kinda laughed and said "maybe". Then I worried about driving it for fear something would happen to it while I was driving and that she would think I did it on purpose [].