Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

A Small Ford Torino Update! IT DRIVES!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:30 PM

Man, the pride that has to go through out your body when A) you fired the engine for the first time and B) when the tires left your driveway and hit pavement! Congrats keep up the work!

Old 02-23-2010, 02:01 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You know, I didn't drive any more than about 35 mph but it had to be one of the most exciting drives of my life! The car drove straight, ran smoothly, and I was scared to really lay into that throttle just yet so I didn't get on it too much. It still moved along alright considering how much throttle I gave it!

RJ, it's not too late to get out there and get to work on that '57!!!

'Space, you can still get it done too one day... it may take a few years of building up experience on other projects... but you just have to remember that you do stuff like this one step at a time... don't let the amount of work that has to be done discourage you. Before long, you're restoring car!

Old 02-23-2010, 05:07 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Duane, be careful of laying in to a new engine. You could spin a cam bearing, blow a head gasket, or several other things in that new engine before it has time to seat everything in.

A guy I know with a '69 SuperBee damaged the original 383 and the replacement 383 severl times due to his lead foot. I mean he even re-built both engines and damaged them again cause he hadn't learned his lesson. I think after having to remove and install engines quite a few times plus 3 kids came in to the picture he finally learned to slow down some.

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
RJ, it's not too late to get out there and get to work on that '57!!!
PST. Convince the woman setting behind me I need to get this done. LOL

She did promise several people we would be at the 2010 Columbus Goodguys event in a '57 Chevy. Wonder when she plans on getting this work done so I can take one of them????
I sure hope she knows how to build a '57 Chevy??????

Old 02-23-2010, 05:16 PM

5 Year Member

Oh I know it needs to be broken in a bit before really laying into it.... that's why I was scared to drive it. I got to about 1/3rd throttle or so on one take off. I want to make sure everything is right and it runs good and get the timing just right for a few hundred miles before doing any full throttle take offs. That way hopefully I'll hear a knock or see something on a gauge if something is done wrong.... but it should be good

Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Duane, we ALL are proud of you for getting the Torino as far as it is right now, and going to school also. I can imagine how excited you were when it 1st left the driveway.
Congratulations!. Well done!

Old 02-28-2010, 11:11 AM

5 Year Member

Alright, a few pictures to add real quick.

A cold snap hit in late December and early January and it severely limited how much time I could spend outside each day. I brought some interior parts in and cleaned them up.

The armrests, back seats and door panels were cleaned with greased lightening, polished with black shoe polish, and buffed out. They still look pretty good to me!

There are also pieces of carpet that go behind the back seat so that when you open the trunk, you see carpet and not the inside of a back seat. These pieces smelled quite a bit and my mom helped me vacuum and steam clean them, and get the smell out. This is one of 4 pieces.

This is the temporary gas tank that was used when the car was driven down the road last week.