Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

A long awaited Ford Torino restoration Update!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:42 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default A long awaited Ford Torino restoration Update!!!!

I have been a little long without updating you guys on my whereabouts on the Ford Torino. Well, it's coming!

To catch up on previous updates, go here: http://www.ford-forums.com/ford-tori...storation.html

(Yeah, yeah, it's a Ford forum, get over it.)

So the engine has been built and it has finally been installed. This was a pain!

So here is the built engine with manifolds on it.

And this thing was a SEVERE PAIN to install!!!! I had a set of 1968 Galaxy manifolds, and low and behold, they won't fit!!!! So then I got a set of headers. These things are even more fun to install. First, you have to pull the engine part of the way out and then lay the headers in on teh shock towers and let the engine part of the way back down. then you have to hook up the set on the left that go under the cross members to one another and then start bolts in each of the holes. Then these frame mounts are different than anything else I've ever seen. They don't have elongated holes like most do, but have a fixed hole so that the engine is apparently part of the structural integrity of the front of the car. I had to take the frame mounts back loose from the frame and hook them to the motor mounts and THEN set the engine in! THEN I had to take a hammar and pet the things around, then use screwdrivers to pull the holes into alignment, and setting bolts in the holes to hold them in place. It took forever and was even harder than it sounds. but we got it in, and it looked nice and pretty. The transmission was fun to work around the header pipe tips, but I finally got it in!!!! YAY!

I painted the fuel tank....

And there were some more parts to be painted. I used a tent that we use to keep the '50 Chevrolet in and painted in there. The remaining parts to be painted were the hood, front fenders, quarter fender extensions, and cowl vent.

Alot of work was done that has not been photographed. I buffed the rust off, treated, and jsut shot rough coat of black acrylic enamel on the front and rear bumper supports, harmonic balancer, engine frame mounts, the headlight buckets, the headlight frame (atleast, that's what I'm going to call it...)

I got the headlight pieces reassembled, and here is the front of the car!

I finally got some door handles back on the car and the striker plates back in, so the doors open and close again. No more holding them shut with bungee cords. I've also got some of the weather trim back in and working on installing the rest.

And all of the pieces that go on the dash are in. I reinstalled the headlight, wiper, and ignition switches along with the radio, glove box, and cigarette lighter. Now I need to get the plastic trim on and get the gauge cluster and dash pad back in, plus all of the rest of the interior.

And finally, a youtube video of my 390 running!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_91SaYUGFs

Old 12-15-2009, 07:57 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Great progress! I can't wait to see the finished product! My fiance will be jealous - he loves Torino's and has owned a couple in his past.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

It's looking GREAT Duane! I just might have to wander over to the Furd forum to check it out further.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by cowboy6622
To catch up on previous updates, go here: http://www.ford-forums.com/ford-tori...storation.html

(Yeah, yeah, it's a Ford forum, get over it.)
Well said Duane. I prefer GM, but I'm a car guy at heart. I love me a great car, no matter what kind it is.

Very nice pics. I really like all the work and progress you're making with the Torino. All that sweat and hard work will really show when the car is done.

Is the gas tank dented in one corner, or is it that way normally? Just wondering if you considered replacing the tank if it is infact damaged.

Thanks for sharing your progress with us Duane!

Old 12-15-2009, 09:24 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It is dented.... But it's around $200 for another one so this one goes back in!

Everything that is on the Ford forum is actually on my Chevrolet forums as well. The difference is that the Torino section at the Ford forum is much more lightly traveled, and instead of giving updates in installations, I have just simply piled everything into one section there. It's easier than hunting down my other 7 updates. Plus, I actually started on the Ford forum after you guys had recieved a few updates!!!

Thanks for the support. Maybe the next update will be getting close to the completion!

Old 12-16-2009, 09:39 AM

Hi Duane, Space told us 2 check out your new update..You sure have put in a lot of work & it shows. Thank you for posting and keeping us updated on your progress. Wish you and your family a Happy Holidays.
BeachBum `Mike

Old 12-16-2009, 10:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Awesome Duane! Its nice to see you are making good headway on the Torino. Cant wait to see it finished.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

duane, it looks fantastic, great job, can't wait to see it finished! i'm not a ford guy, but lately anything that old with a heartbeat is awesome in my mind! keep up the great work. can't wait to see it finished! and congrats on everything else going on with school and your girlfriend! take care!

Old 12-17-2009, 07:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Duane, that engine looks great! Nice progress!

Quick Reply: A long awaited Ford Torino restoration Update!!!!