Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Scammers - Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Scammers - Please Read

Most of you know I've had my car listed for sale and have had scam auto marketing companies call me. That story is here: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...t=23679&page=3

Well I had another scammer try to get me. This time the story went like this:

A person emailed me saying they have a client/buyer that wanted to buy the car and have it shipped to Madrid, Spain. I thought okay this could be legit, they did ask me a lot of questions about the car. I say okay, send me a check. They give me a story about how they were going to buy another car that was a lot more expensive but the seller failed to mention an accident it had been in and the money had already been sent to the bank and the fee for the cashiers check and currency exchange had already been paid and it was $17k. So they mailed me a Cashier's Check for $17k saying that the extra was for the shipper and the agent and I would need to wire the difference to the shipper ($3.5k) and agent ($3.5k) using Western Union, they then provided names and addresses for these people. Then I would need to email the money transfer information to this email address, which was a shady yahoo address.

I was thinking okay, Western Union, there is noway I am doing that, this yahoo email address is obviously not a shipping company's email address, this has to be a scam. Then I receive the check and I must admit that if I didn't think it was already a scam I might have tried to cash it. The check looked pretty good but I was 99% sure it was counterfeit. I wish I would have taken a picture of the check because it's kind of hard to describe but the watermark on the back wasn't really a watermark but looked like it could be, the printing of the check was slightly at an angle, it wasn't perfectly straight which is something they say to watch out for. The bank it was from, Capitol One, and the address of the bank and everything on the check was legit as far as I could tell from doing google searches.

So I took it to my bank and told them that I am 99% sure I have a counterfeit check for $17k. The teller looked at it for awhile and then called her supervisor over and they declared it counterfeit and that they would send it to their security team.

That's where I'm at. As far as the scammer knows I am still going to go cash the check at the bank and wire them the money. They don't know that I know yet so I'm not sure what to respond to them yet. Should I go to the police and file a police report or will nothing come of it anyway? I do have their email address, and names and addresses of the people they wanted me to wire the money to. I don't want to waste anymore time on this.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:05 AM

I had the same thing happen to me when I was trying to sell a snowmobile. I found out it was a scam before receiving a check. The thing that tipped me off was 2 things, they never asked about the snowmobile, just generic questions, using words like it and "the goods". The 2nd thing was they wanted it shipped to Texas, why would you want a snowmobile shipped to Texas.

My mom had a similar incident when selling a truck. They got the check which was $5000 over the selling price. They went to cash it, but the bank on the check didn't exists. They took it to the police but I don't think it ever got very far. They used generic email accounts and fake addresses and couldn't trace it.

Basically they want you to deposit the check, wire them the money, send the car, then the check bounces and your out the car and whatever money you send them

Old 11-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Yup, typical scam story. They tried it with me too but I already knew what to look for. It must work if they are still doing it.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:37 AM

Hi `Alex,
It sad to read that there are so many in our world that are frauds That's a popular scam that they are attempting.

I would request a statement from your bank on the name of their security agent that is investigating this fraud. I would also confirm that they contacted the proper authorities in this matter. Keep good records (Times/dates/calls etc).
Does the scammer have your home physical address ? If so, I would contact your local police Dept., & report the incident (fraud) & to document the incident with them.

If you don't protect yourself ? Who will ? It's sad, but it's life in today's world

Wish you good luck on your sale, and in confirming the future buyers I.D. and their funds $'s.

Thanks for making our member's aware of this incident...
4-Sure.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I have a friend with a similiar story selling his truck. The buyer in London wants to PayPal the money over. Same basic story and my friend knows it has to be a scam but can't figure out how.
Gotta love trying to actually sell something.... Heck, I have had two GM radios for sale on Craigslist, about three calls and no takers.... But at least I don't think those calls were scammers (just people who lost interest).

Old 11-10-2010, 12:15 PM

Yes, I emailed them a couple times saying "Hey are you going to have someone come look at the car and test drive it first". You know, to make sure it even looks like the pictures but they just seemed to ignore it. I also emailed them that I would not consider their offer if they did not call to speak to me. Finally after a few emails threatening that I was going to sell the car to someone else they did call me. The guy spoke very poor english and I could not make out the accent. He would say just enough to answer my question that I emailed him and then hang up before I could get a word in. The first time he called it showed up on my caller ID as private and the second time he called it came up with a number that I googled the area code for it and it was Canadian. I know the accent wasn't french though so who knows.

This is basically the scam right here: http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Scam/index.htm

Last edited by Nocturnx; 11-10-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

shipping is almost 100% scam if it's anywhere out of state, i always told those scamer which i have had alot in my time probably 20-30 on everything from cars to a old beer can, if you want to buy it i will have to meet with someone in person within the next week or they won't be considered, i never hear back

Old 11-10-2010, 01:31 PM

Hmm they just tried calling me a couple times now. I just hung up on them...

Old 11-10-2010, 03:12 PM

Hi `Alex,
If they called me, I would answer & tell them you turned over the information to the FBI, Homeland Security, CIA, and to International Space Fraud Patrol : ), or I would have their calls forwarded to your local police, or the FBI...

I'm sure if the call was forwarded to the FBI and an agent from the FBI answers, they would hang `up and stop calling

If you have not, I would contact the bank & find out the status of their investigation, and if they can't give you the information. I would take the time to file a complaint/notice of attempted fraud to your local enforcement agency.

Keep us updated on this event...Good Luck & I hope that they resolve this issue & hopefully be able to stop the culprits/violators/a-holes/thieves/terrorist ...

First thing is to make sure you protect yourself & your family.
Good Luck 4-Sure...

If you need me to protect your Monte Carlo, I will gladly protect & maintain `it & also take it to the drags & get it timed for you LOL Please ship it down to the Kid, I will send you a blank check & you can fill in any amount that you want.., because my checks are no good : )

Look forward to your updates...Be Smart/Safe 4-Sure...

Old 11-10-2010, 06:29 PM

It caught me off guard, you can be sure I'll be ready if they call tomorrow Space

Quick Reply: Scammers - Please Read