Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Scammer warning alert!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 05:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Scammer warning alert!!!

I read this ad on chicago craigslist and never thought much of it until i google the dude's name and i guess he's scamming all over the car forums and ebay too. also found out he's a chicago cook county sheriff and he's getting away with all the charges. i copy and paste the ad in case it expire. for all you people buying car or parts online read this ad and google his name you will see he's all over the internet.

WARNING!!! TRANS AM ALERT SCAMMER LOUIE BATTAGLIA (ITASCA/FRANKLIN PARK/CHICAGO/NW SUBURBS)
Date: 2012-10-03, 12:47AM CDT
cpsw6-3312839941@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
I'M HERE TO WARN ALL OF YOU FIREBIRD, TRANS AM, FORMULA, AND GTA BUYERS ABOUT A SCAMMER NAME LOUIE BATTAGLIA WHO LIVES IN ITASCA,IL WHO SCAMS FOR A LIVING AS I'M NOT TRYING TO SELL OR BUY ANYTHING HERE. THIS SCAMMER TOOK $1,525.00 OF MY HARD EARN MONEY. LET ME TELL YOU MY STORY. LAST FALL OF SEPTEMBER 2010, I RESPONDED TO HIS ADVERTISEMENT ON CRAIGSLIST THAT HE WAS LISTING A 1983 BLACK TRANS AM FOR SALE. I REPLIED AND WANTED TO PURCASE THE CAR AND WE WORKED OUT A DEAL WHERE HE MADE ME PUT A DEPOSIT OF $1,525.00 DOWN TO HOLD THE CAR AND I WOULD MAKE PAYMENTS UNTIL THE CAR WAS PAIDED IN FULL. AFTER A FEW WEEKS, THIS SCAMMER INFORMED ME THAT HE GOT A HOLD OF A 1984 TRANS AM AUTOFOAM CONVERTIBLE BLACK FOR SALE. I WAS EXCITED AND JUMPED AT THE OPPORTUNITY TO BUY THAT CAR AND USE THE MONEY I DEPOSITED TOWARDS THE 84 TRANS AM CONVERTIBLE INSTEAD OF THE 83 TRANS AM. THE SCAMMER AGREED AND I BOUGHT THAT CAR. FOR MONTHS I'VE KEPT IN TOUCH WITH HIM AND HE TOLDED ME THAT WHEN THE CAR ARRIVES FROM MASSACHUSETT TO HIS PLACE, I COULD COME BY AND SEE THE CAR I BOUGHT SIGHT UNSEEN. THIS SCAMMER NEVER EVEN SHOW ME ANY PICTURES OF THE CAR HE PROMISED ME. INSTEAD HE'S BEEN GIVING A BUNCH OF BS STORIES EVERY TIME I TALKED TO HIM ON THE PHONE. ONE TIME HE TOLDED ME THAT THE CAR WAS IN HIS DRIVEWAY, SO I WANTED TO SEE THE CAR AND WENT OVER TO HIM PLACE TO SEE THE CAR AND WHAT A SURPRISE THAT WHEN I GOT THERE, THERE WAS NO TRANS AM IN HIS DRIVEWAY. FROM THAT POINT ON, I BECAME VERY SUSPICIOUS ABOUT THIS GUY. I THEN STARTED TO CALL HIM AND HE NEVER RETURN ANY OF MY CALLS. I GOT TO THE POINT WHERE I EVEN WENT TO HIS HOUSE AND SPOKE TO HIS WIFE AND SHE WAS COVERING FOR HIM BY LYING TO ME. I GOT THE POINT WHERE I EVEN CALLED THE POLICE AND FILED A POLICE REPORT ON HIM. I'VE TALKED TO SO MANY OF HIS VICTIMS THAT HE HAS SCAMMED. HE'S ALL OVER THE WEBSITES. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS GOOGLE HIS NAME LOUIE BATTAGLIA AND YOU'LL FIND EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THIS SCAMMER. YOU CAN ALSO GO INTO THE WEBSITE TURBOBUICK.COM AS EVERYONE IN THAT WEBSITE KNOWS WHO THIS SCAMMER IS AND WHAT HE'S DONE TO ALL OF HIS VICTIMS. HE HAS SCREWED SO MANY PEOPLE UP BY SCAMMING THEM. THIS SCAMMER WORKS AT THE SKOKIE COURTHOUSE IN SKOKIE,IL. DID YOU KNOW THAT THIS SCAMMER FELL INTO FORECLOSURE TWICE FOR HIS HOUSE? I HAVE NO IDEA HOW HE GOT OUT OF IT. ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS IF YOU DEAL WITH HIM, PROCEED WITH CAUTION AND USE YOUR COMMON SENSE. BEWARE AND BE WARNED!

P.S. THIS SCAMMER IS CURRENTLY TRYING TO SELL THREE CARS CURRENTLY. ONE IS A 1981 TRANS AM TURBO RECARO WHITE FOR $5,000. SECOND IS A 1983 TRANS AM MSE #60 OF 150 WHITE/BLACK FOR $4,000, THIRD IS A 1988 TRANS AM MAUI BLUE FOR $2,800. IF YOU COME ACROSS ANY OF THESE CARS, PROCEED WITH CAUTION AND STAY AWAY IF YOU VALUE YOUR HARD EARN MONEY. HE WILL TAKE ALL YOUR HARD EARN MONEY IF YOU ALLOW HIM TO. I HATE SEEIING PEOPLE WHO SCREW OTHERS FOR A GOD DAM PERCENTAGE. IF ANYONE WANTS MORE INFORMATIONS ABOUT THIS SCAMMER, FEEL FREE TO EMAIL OR CALL ME ANYTIME AT EIGHT FOUR SEVEN-THREE TWO NINE- EIGHT ONE THREE SIX. ALSO IF YOU WANT THIS SCAMMER'S ADDRESS, I CAN PROVIDE AND FURNISH IT UPON REQUEST.GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL IF YOU DEAL WITH THIS SCUM BAG SCAMMER.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Moral of the story:
Be cautious when buying online. If doing a Craigslist deal, go see what you are buying, don't blindly give money for something you have not even seen a picture of.

And it's just a guess, but making payments to a private individual is probably not the best solution (that's why we have banks). When I sell a car, either want payment in full OR I'll accept 2 payments, a holding deposit (so I take the car off the "for sale" circuit) and then the balance of the agree amount at the time the buyer gets the keys and a notarized title.

I've sold a lot of things on forums and Craigslist. As a seller, I try to do what I can to provide buyers with proper material to consider the item I have (such as pics and a description) and constant communication.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

the guy was dumb for giving him $1525 to hold the car. i would never give anybody that much $$ in the first place specially if i haven't see the car yet. my friend sold his JG edition on craigslist. the buyer gave him $500 to hold the car. he came back couple weeks later and bring the rest of the $$ for the car. i was like "wow" he gave you how much?

Last edited by nemesis; 10-09-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I saw a few of these "down payment" scams while I was looking for a car.

If it's too good to be true... is a great way to live on Craigslist.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:20 AM

Thanks `Ryan for your post/story "Reminder" ...It's sad that there are those that are not `True , but there are many out there on our journey of life 4-Sure

Please send all your extra $'s to `space...
I promise to spend it 4 U & have `fun...Thank You

"Some lessons in life are harder & more expensive then others" ~> 4-Sure...Always do your homework & beware when you are buying from the unknown...
Peace/Out

p.s. Please send your $'s to outer `Space ~> Thank You

Old 10-09-2012, 12:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

I'm honestly still surprised that people continue to get ripped off over craigslist scams. Craigslist's rules, personal safety tips, terms of use, etc. all warn potential buyers of these type of scams, yet time and time again, people blindly fork over their hard earned money.

For any craigslist purchase that I've made, I've met face to face with the seller, carefully inspected the item(s) as best as I could, and put cash in their hand for any test rides/drives. (If you're going to drive/ride a vehicle, I recommend having a second person who can stay with the seller and your money at all times)

I guess no one has ever directly told me that there are people out there that just want to steal my money, I just assumed that was common for people to know and understand these days. From reading the above, I must be wrong

If the seller won't show you the item in person, my only advise is to put your money back in your wallet/pocket/bank account, whatever, and keep searching for an honest seller who will meet you face to face with the items or services in which you intend to purchase.

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 10-09-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think when you really, really want something you're more likely to take a chance.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
I think when you really, really want something you're more likely to take a chance.

This is true..... I buy some stuff online but not alot and if i do its nothing over $400 unless im buying off ebay

Old 10-09-2012, 08:36 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I would never put down any money for anything sight unseen.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
This is very true. I suppose if you have the extra money and do really want something, you're probably a lot more likely to throw a few hundred/thousand as a down payment for a car, such as in the above case.

Looking back at my online spending, craigslist hunting, etc. I took a little risk on my roof rails. I didn't actually see the items in person and didn't really have anything to verify the seller besides a few emails and forum posts. Of course, that was $200, and I had the extra cash at that time. Looking back at it, I'm not sure I would have sent money via paypal so easily today. But my opinions of forum and craigslist purchases have changed a little, I've also noticed a little change with my spending habits online lol