Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

The Ron Paul Challenge.... (All Ron Paul supporters, please read)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Default RE: The Ron Paul Challenge.... (All Ron Paul supporters, please read)

ORIGINAL: mad717

Just think some folks should reread the Constitution and the Amendments. Pay special attention to Section 8. It pretty much covers taxation and why we support Israel, which I think is covered under common defense. There is also no mention of God, or of a "Christian" nation.
What part of "United" in "The United States of America" is it that y'all have an issue with? The Constitution is SUPPOSED to be the law of the land, and nowhere in it does it say that a Christian is better thana Jew, or a Hindu, or a Muslim, etc, etc.

I don't agree with supporting other countries, either, but we do it for mainly national security, I think.

http://www.archives.gov/national-arc...ranscript.html

That being said, the ideas behind both Conservatism and Libertarianism are actually good, sound ideas. It is the implementation of these ideas and principles that causes problems. Especially worriesome to me is "fiscal conservatism",where we cut taxes for the rich, start 2 wars, and more than double our national debt, allin7 short years. Never before in the history of the U.S. have taxes been cut during time of war.

The Constitution is indeed a "living,breathing document", (except to George Bush, who called it "a goddamn piece of paper"), as evidenced by the 27 Amendments to the Constitution. Amendments are provided for in the Constitution itself, and many more may follow.

Also, the "moral majority conservatives" GPD mentioned were all suckered into voting for Reagan and Bush, who were and are no real "Christian Conservatives". Why do I say suckered? Look at the mainstream conservatives opposition to a "real" Christian conservative, Huckabee. They only used the Christian conservatives for their votes, and nothing more. Once they got their votes, what did they do for them? Name three things, betcha can't. Also ask yourself 1 question "Who would Jesus bomb?"
FYI, the federal income tax (my beef) was unconstitutional until the 16th Amendment was ratified in 1913.

The Constitution addresses issues relating to the "commondefense", meaning the defense of all the various states. "National Security" is arelatively modern term, andapparently can refer to almost anything our government dreams up. For example, when Demorat-icon FDR threwAmericans of Japanese and German descent into prison camps during WWII, he did so under thebanner of "national security". Since this was unconstitutional, of course, heissued an emergency Executive Order to justify his actions.

In the context ofThe Constitution,common defense means just that - defense. It doesn't mean empire building, nor does it mean giving awayat least $108,000,000,000 of hard-earned taxpayer's money to a tiny foreign country on the other side of the world.

To be fair, ourrecent history is replete with examples of the federal govenment squandering our money in unconstitutional ways...Israel is just one of many.