Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

- Repair Shop Problems -

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:10 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I use the local chevy garage for my repairs i cant make they give me a discount & if its somthing i can fix he tells me what to do

Old 04-23-2012, 01:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I do most things myself but if I can't do a Repair I use a few different shops in my area that have been here for a long time and I know the mechanics. My personal favorite is when someone tells me they had something repaired and now something totally different isn't working so it must be the shops fault.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The sad thing, with any kind of service or business. People are much more likely to tell people about a bad experience than their are a good experience. Certainly true in retail and that thought applies to alot of things. The mechanic i go to now we kind of stumbled on, the horizon had tires changed and the fuel line got crushed and this mechanic was the closed to the tire shop and we've gone to him ever since.

The shop is owned by a husband a wife and is a franchised mienkee and i trust the guy, i could never see him ripping you off.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

MacDonald Auto Service here in Windsor were really cool when my resonator rusted out.

Last year when my resonator rusted out, I considered using that as my excuse to justify my doing a complete exhaust job. Possibly an SLP exhaust, or some other after market system. Most other auto garages where more than happy to give me prices on what I asked for. Nothing more, nothing less. Which is what I would expect. But MacDonald Auto Service was different.

When I got there, they priced out the cost of 3 or 4 different cat-back systems. But the owner of the place told me that he's seen a lot of 6th gen Montes with rusted out resonators. He told me if it was his car, he would simply replace the resonator with a straight pipe. And he'd do it for $25 or $30 (I don't remember which). I decided to put the money I was going to spend on the exhaust system toward my buy-a-house-fund, and just put in the straight pipe.

So there you go. MacDonald Full Auto Service on the corner of Eugenie street & Howard Ave. in Windsor, Ontario. Positive review.

http://www.macdonaldsauto.com/

By the way, I personally don't like publicly naming a place if it's a bad review. Just a personal preference. If others want to, that's their choice.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by lougreen03
I do most things myself but if I can't do a Repair I use a few different shops in my area that have been here for a long time and I know the mechanics. My personal favorite is when someone tells me they had something repaired and now something totally different isn't working so it must be the shops fault.
Lou I try to do my own work because I don't trust many people to work on my cars. When I do have someone work on my cars I try not to let the car out of my sight. Years ago I had an 80 Chrysler LeBaron that had an oil leak that I had not fixed. I checked the oil every time I filled the tank. This particular day I was dressed in a suit so I didn't want to go under the hood. I went to a full service gas station and payed the premium for full service to get the gas pumped and have them check the oil. I paid and drove off. I got about ten miles down the road and the engine started skipping badly. I pulled over and opened the hood and found two spark plug wires had mysteriously fallen off the spark plugs. I didn't see the attendant that filled my car and checked the oil pull the wires but I'm fairly certain I know what happened. A slant six doesn't run well as a four cylinder. It is crap like this that gives repair shops a bad reputation. The same thing happens in the ac service business too. It is sad that they have to resort to dishonest procedures to make a living.