Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

In the shop.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 11:15 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default In the shop.....

Well, yesterday I decided to check my cooling system out and once again I have developed sludge through the entire system. I've also noticed over the last couple of weeks that I am loosing fluid from the system.

We'll see what they have to say.

Second issue, have you guy's noticed the ALT make a whine? It's been driving me freaking nuts.

TVW

Old 06-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Default RE: In the shop.....

aernt you lucky LOL

as far as the whine it might be the powersteering pump but if it is the ALt it might be time to look in to getting a new one as most fo the time that means you have a berring going out and it will follow shortly

Old 06-01-2005, 02:12 PM

I know it's the alt cause when I put strain on the electrical system i.e. roll the windows up the noise goes away. It's been a problem from day one and I have it noted on several visits to the dealer, maybe this time it will get replaced.

TVW

Old 06-01-2005, 03:49 PM

when working as a tech, i replaced more GM V6 water pumps and alternators than anything else.

as for the sludge in the coolant..has this happened before?

Old 06-01-2005, 03:56 PM

I noticed the sludge in the cooling system when I first got it, they flushed the system and said that it was due to leak tabs from the factory. Here we are 30K later with the same sludge buildup.

TVW

Old 06-01-2005, 06:50 PM

i would make them do ableed down teast in front of me. I would want to see if ther eis a leak on it. and then i would have them presureise it and find the leak to

Old 06-01-2005, 07:13 PM

Just heard from them, the brown buildup is normal, pressure test were ran with no leakage found anywhere.

Good news, the ALT is getting replaced.

As soon as I get it out of there I am getting the system flushed and I am going green. I have never seen anything like this. My tech did say, that here in Texas the Dexcool is only good for 30K and the 100K longevity is only good for the northern states.

TVW

Old 06-01-2005, 07:47 PM

i lived in AL. and mine was never brown and now they did the new recall on it it still is not brown
not saying it was not a fluke
but it would make sens tha the heat would lower the milage

Old 06-02-2005, 03:44 AM

ORIGINAL: tvanwinklehome

Just heard from them, the brown buildup is normal, pressure test were ran with no leakage found anywhere.

Good news, the ALT is getting replaced.

As soon as I get it out of there I am getting the system flushed and I am going green. I have never seen anything like this. My tech did say, that here in Texas the Dexcool is only good for 30K and the 100K longevity is only good for the northern states.

TVW
I live in a Northern state and was told the same 30k is the life expectancy of it. I have found the same to be true when I did a search online looking for info on dexcool, and in all cases it was stated by a spokesperson for Chevy. It really sucks that they said initially that it would last for 150k miles, giving people a false sense of security, resulting in them incurring large repair costs which Chevy is refusing to pay for. Hopefully the class action lawsuit goes through and Chevy is forced to pay up.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:30 AM

I live in a Northern state and was told the same 30k is the life expectancy of it. I have found the same to be true when I did a search online looking for info on dexcool, and in all cases it was stated by a spokesperson for Chevy. It really sucks that they said initially that it would last for 150k miles, giving people a false sense of security, resulting in them incurring large repair costs which Chevy is refusing to pay for. Hopefully the class action lawsuit goes through and Chevy is forced to pay up.
I am sure it's again a lack of communication within GM..... You would think that GM would make sure everyone tells the same freaking story for god sake. lol I am sure were going to see additional issues with Dexcool down the road.

TVW

Quick Reply: In the shop.....