Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Rent your car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:11 AM

I would never do that

Old 07-18-2012, 06:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In one aspect, I could see a SINGLE cool thing about this:
- Being able to rent a modified car.

But this comes back to what owner is OK with a stranger handling their ride! And as Miller points out, his turbo-ed v8 can get 140MPH in 20 seconds (not sure if that's a track tested time or exaggeration, regardless, it's got some serious GO to it). Is the OnStart abuse monitored by a person or an automated system? Sure, they can turn off the fuel pump but coasting at a high rate of speed is still a high rate of speed. Plus, pulsing the ABS to slow the car, possibly not safe either (they are unaware of what's going on).

Not to mention people that get rentals to do CRIMES! Heck my dad sold a van in the 80's and the 1st weekend he sold it, he had a visit by the cops. That van was spotted leaving the seen of a crime. Or we've had some people rent vehicles to house a bomb.

And I WATCH my gauges, they tell me all kinds of information and have save the car from damage before. Will this anonymous renter care to do the same??

I just have trouble seeing "average Joe" trusting their car to a stranger. I don't think it will catch on here. I give them props, it's a neat idea, but too much uncertainty.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Tadcaster rent the Deuce out ????
Ya right...

Old 07-18-2012, 06:34 AM

Yes sometimes I travel a lot for work and get rentals start them up and hit the gas (no warm up) Start and stop fast. Corner fast.

Same as the leased car I have now...

Not sure I would buy a used car that was leased either.

I surely would not rent mine.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:50 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

To me this sounds like an idea put forth by environmentalists. People who are more concerned about just protecting the planet, and didn't put much thought into the down side to this idea. I think the idea is to have less cars on the road. If that's the case, get an ebike.

That's fine if you want to be more friendly to the environment. But not every idea is going to be a homerun.

Some people may say that we're being greedy by not sharing our ride. I don't see it that way. I think all of us who have posted here in this thread are looking at the idea more realistically.

By renting out your car, you're letting someone else put wear and tear (or maybe abuse) on your car. This costs you money in repairs and increased maintenance. Is the rent you get going to cover the extra costs? Not everybody can afford extra costs/bills. This idea also causes your car to wear out faster with all the increased mileage on it.

It also means you need to keep subscribing to OnStar. Which brings up another point. Sure OnStar can bring your car to a stop remotely. As long as the person keeps the OnStar plugged in. Simply unplug it and they can't remotely stop your car anymore.

And if you're leasing your vehicle, who's gonna pay for all the extra mileage put on the car? And what about the renter lending out YOUR car to a buddy of his?

If you put 50 miles a week on your car, and the renter puts 1000, how is that fair? You paid full price for a car that some stranger is driving into the ground?

And what about insurance costs? Are your insurance rates going to jump because you're renting out your car?

What if the renter decides your car would look nice in his brother's chop shop for parts? Or decides to de-mod your car because your turbo looks so much nicer in his friend's car?

There's a ton of situations we could bring up here illustrating the down side to this idea. I'm sure this idea had honorable intentions. It just doesn't seem very well thought through.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:09 AM

If you would not rent your Monte Carlo, would you share ?
===========================================
Below club shares theirs There are many clubs like this with exotics...I wouldn't `if I had one 4-Sure. Would You ?
Drive the world’s greatest classic & exotic sports cars at a fraction of the cost and better than rental, available through Curvy Road Fractional Ownership or Exotic Car Share Membership Usage Program

Plus Video ~>

Old 07-18-2012, 08:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

sorry!! i dont even let family drive my car!!!
NO WAY a stranger is driving Black Licorice!

Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

no!

Old 07-18-2012, 09:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I only have one car so what am I supposed to do while its rented out...walk. I think i'll pass.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with lou(taz) If someone is driving a car that is not theirs, instict says "who cares, its not mine" and like you said we all know what happens to rentals (of all kinds) Cruise youtube you'll find rental eveything doing burnouts(uhual trucks too) and so on. I think its a great idea honestly, but i dont think anyone is going to trust lending their car out in this fashion unless they want to be in the car rental business. There are way to many what ifs

Quick Reply: Rent your car?