Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Regretting the Monte Carlo purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Default RE: Regretting the Monte Carlo purchase...

Actually found a great article on this today at MSN.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...oureBroke.aspx

Here is a definate quote that can be attached to the lemon debate:

"There's also no requirement that you get rid of your current car once it's hit a certain mileage milestone. Today's cars are better built and more dependable than ever, which means that unless you've got a real lemon you could keep driving it past 200,000 or even 300,000 miles."

Old 01-16-2007, 09:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: 01BlkSS

This is more of a rant than a topic. I've had nothing but problems since I bought this dang thing. First the rear defrost stops working. Then I have a wheel bearing go out. Then I have to lube the steering shaft. Then I have no heated seat on the driver side. Then my igntion cylinder craps out. Then my coolant sensor/thermostat goes out. Then I get a clunk in the back. Then I have to replace the boost valve and PCS in the tranny. Then I get worse mileage than any of my trucks/suburbans. And now the check engine light is on...what next...

Would you say that I probably have bought a lemon? Or is my luck just this bad?
The most commong source of "service engine" light accompanied with poor milesage is the oxegen sensors. Prolly the chespest fix and it would hurt to get new ones after this long.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:30 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Used to be EVERYONE and their brother said "Don't buy the BOSCH O2 sensors. They're junk."

Unfortunately the BOSCH O2 sensors are pretty much all you can buy in the aftermarket now days. So unless you have another source you're stuck buying them.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:41 PM

What would cause an 02 sensor to go out? Are they easy to get to on the monte? I knew they were on my 3/4 ton burb. They are spendy little buggers.

I found out whey my check engine light was on...it was a little retarded. It was -20 here so I left the car run while I filled up with gas. Bad idea, that is what threw the light. Got it reset and nothing since then (over 600 miles ago). I've heard that opening the gas cap while it's running will throw a code.

Also, I just had a shop put plugs and wires in. I didn't feel like rolling the engine forward and doing it in -10 weather. The wires were original, but the guy said it looked like the spark plugs were replaced before. We'll see how my mileage does.