Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Regretting the Monte Carlo purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 04:11 AM
Default Regretting the Monte Carlo purchase...

This is more of a rant than a topic. I've had nothing but problems since I bought this dang thing. First the rear defrost stops working. Then I have a wheel bearing go out. Then I have to lube the steering shaft. Then I have no heated seat on the driver side. Then my igntion cylinder craps out. Then my coolant sensor/thermostat goes out. Then I get a clunk in the back. Then I have to replace the boost valve and PCS in the tranny. Then I get worse mileage than any of my trucks/suburbans. And now the check engine light is on...what next...

Would you say that I probably have bought a lemon? Or is my luck just this bad?

Old 01-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Default RE: Regretting the Monte Carlo purchase...

[align=center]Dusty, Sorry 2 read that you are having so many problems[sm=violin.gif][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]How many miles are on your Monte ?[/align][align=center]Do you know the maintentance History ?[/align][align=center]How many past owners ?[/align][align=center]Did you get a Carfax report to see if your Monte[/align][align=center]was in a flood, wrecked etc. ?[/align][align=center]Is your Monte stock or modified ?[/align][align=center]Do you have a trusted mechanic that can evaluate & check[/align][align=center]your Monte out ?[/align][align=center]There are lemons out there & I hope that yours is not.[/align][align=center]If you can't repair, then sell it.[/align][align=center]Wish you luck...I hope 2007 gets better 4 U.[/align][align=center]Wish U a Happy,[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][:-]Take two & go see Dr Fix it [:-][/align][align=center][IMG]local://upfiles/714/5A5FA2ED6D254CA5B4A3D5B823F00DE4.jpg[/IMG] [/align]

Old 01-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

just more joys of buying a used vehicle. a few of the things you meantioned is just stuff you have to change every now and then. dont forget your car is almost 8 years old now, so stuff like what you meantioned is going to go, it just happens as soon as you buy it.
as for the milage not being the greatest its probably just that you need a tune-up (plugs, wires, filters...generall stuff) coolant temp sensors go...they always do...generally whenever you change the thermostat you should change the coolant temp sensor, maybe not every time...but every second or third time...
sorry to hear that it all happens at once...sucks that way, but thats usually what happens when you buy a used vehicle..its just a rule of thumb

Old 01-13-2007, 11:45 AM

im sorry to ehar wha tis happenign to your monte. I love mine but i didn tbuy a used one ethier. So if you have one tha tis a Lemon it might be the reason for them getting rid of it.

and like Josh said some of it is normal maintance and needs to be kept on top of or it will stack up on you and go all at one time.
or seems to.

also i would get yoru self a code reader for your car. so you can pull the codes your self this will help save you some monney and also give youa chance to Babel to check on them more offten ,

keep you chin up . as far as the millage i would start with the plugs and wires etc... this will have a huge diffence in a cars millage.

Also hav eyou started to notic a change in
Preformance int eh car?
if the cat. converter is startign to plug up it will cause it to lose power and also lower your milleage.
it will also throw a code for you to admire in your dash.
So might be worth looing in to it also.

you cna get oen of the hypertech computers off Ebay cheap. i would look for aused one and not get a new one.

and or look around they have some that are actually alot better for reflashing the system .

Old 01-13-2007, 04:19 PM

It is not a lemon. People use that term and don't actually know what it means. The lemon law is different from state to state, but generally the car has to be fairly new (as in still under warranty) and be in the repair shop 3 times within a period of a month or two for the same problem with an attempt to fix the problem being made each time.

Like they said, it's a used car with some miles on it. Parts go bad/wear out.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:56 PM

Definitely a bite in the rear. Sorry to hear that, man. Not to be a broken record, but it all depends on the care the care received before you bought it. If nobody gave it the attention it needed, then it will show. Sorry you had to be the one holding the turkey, but if you geton top of things, you will be ok.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:02 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear you're having a few problems with your Monte.

But I gotta agree buying a used car can turn into exactly this. This goes for ANY car!

I could find my '06 LTZ is actually like this? I mean okay I've owned it since early october but I've barely put 600 miles on the car right now.

A couple years ago I bought a real nice used car that 5 months almost to the day after I buy the car I get hit head-on by a woman out Christmas shopping. While we're waiting on the cops a full size Dodge truck rear-ends my small car. This guy was doing about 50mph when he plows into my stopped car. Then he tries to drive off.

So now not only am I paying on a car I can not drive, I have to go car shopping AGAIN!!!!!!

I find another car I think is nice so I fork out money I do not have so I can have a car to drive every day. ONE WEEK after I buy this car the transmission goes out and the guy I buy the car from refuses to help repair the transmission. No way did he not know the transmission in this car was bad.

So I have to come up with $1400 to have the car fixed. Luckily my dad worked forMopar and was able to get the local dealer to fix the car for me.

But since the car has been fine. It just takes a little patience to get the bugs worked out.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:30 AM

ORIGINAL: 01BlkSS
Then my igntion cylinder craps out. Then I have to replace the boost valve and PCS in the tranny.
My ignition cylinder went out this summer......why did you have to replace the boost valve and pcs in the tranny? Were there driveablity issues? If so, can you explain what they were and how much that repair costed. Reason being, I have noticed that I get an abrupt "engagement" when I accelerate from a low speed coast, like when slowing down for a red light only to have the light turn green before you come to a complete stop. When I press the gas pedal it doesn't just accelerate smoothly like it should. Also I've noticed lately that when i'm accelerating from a stop, it won't shift to 3rd when it's supposed to. It seems to get hung up there for a while and then shift, or it won't even shift until I come off the pedal. Any of that sound familiar?

Old 01-14-2007, 09:53 AM

ORIGINAL: InTheIROC

It is not a lemon. People use that term and don't actually know what it means. The lemon law is different from state to state, but generally the car has to be fairly new (as in still under warranty) and be in the repair shop 3 times within a period of a month or two for the same problem with an attempt to fix the problem being made each time.

Like they said, it's a used car with some miles on it. Parts go bad/wear out.
I don't think it is a matter of not knowing what it means, but a general expectation of the public and how their cars work. If you put 60,000 miles on any car and have no problems, then that is the new expectation. Anything less becomes a problematic vehicle and if you have 5 seperate issues in that given time it is viewed as a lemon.

I put over 90,000 miles on a used Fiero and the only thing thing that went wrong was it burned up... ok, bad example of when things go bad, but there are 2 points actually there.

1. Nothing went out on the vehicle before that. Alternator was fine, starter fine, not even a bad power window. It was top notch.

2. These cars were known for this problem and in the end it really boiled down to a combination of the driver and the marketing group. The car originally was marketed as a commuter car, then later as a sports car. The problem was they had a commuter engine in it. The 4 cylinder "Iron Duke"was a good commuter engine. Lots of torque on the low end, low RPMs when cruising. I (like most people with the fire problem) tended to drive it like a sports car - shifts at high RPM's. Well the connecting rods didn't like that and neither did the heads. Either the heads would spring a leak, get oil on the electrical wires and those in turn would melt from the close exhuast and eventually ignite... or in my case, the connecting rod snapped, put a whole the size of a baseball through the block and the oil lit up.

Anyway, the key is if the car hadn't burned up it would have continued running. To this day I compare that car to everything else I've owned.

You also hear tons of people say "well I never had these problems with brand X so this manufacturer sucks and makes lemons" (actually the reason I never buy Ford).

And to wrap this all up, if memory serves properly, the lemon laws were established in the late 80's. Right after a bunch of low cost, but virtually problem free Honda's and Toyota's came here. American backlash at were better (but also lawsuit happy) help establish those lemon laws and redifine them.

Another related story here involves my uncle who bought a new Toyota around 83-85ish =and lets say that didn't make him to popular in the family. He never had a single problem with it after 350,000 miles. Only thing he did wasplugs, fluidsand battery. It also didn't have any options either which increased him being the but of jokes, butfrom his point of view, what is a lemon going to be? Pretty much everything we were driving because some major part (starter, etc) needed to be replacedwithin every 40,000 miles.Needless to say after driving the car for around 18-20 fuggin years he bought a new Toyota (non-hybrid) and it's been great to him. He diffinately got his money worth... $10,000 ish for the car (it might have only been 8,000) divided by 18 years = $555 /year!!! of ownership. Now alot of people I know pay about 200 per month on a used vehicle, then have to make repairs, then trade the thing off as soon as the loan is up. Where is the money savings here?

I'll get off my soapbox shortly here, but I just want to point out that:

1. If you make the repairs, it was probably some defects in the first place that n

Old 01-14-2007, 11:10 AM

[align=center]When someone says something negative about the vehicle[/align][align=center]we own/love, it can spark a lively debate.[/align][align=center]I enjoy reading the pro's and con's[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I'm rightNo your not[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Someone call 911[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Click Image below[/align][align=center][IMG]local://upfiles/714/C766258C62A14CF6982C14F9EF03805A.jpg[/IMG] [/align]

Quick Reply: Regretting the Monte Carlo purchase...