Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Recommended Smart Phones for Verizon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:50 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Recommended Smart Phones for Verizon?

Hey guys.... old faithful phone of 7 years is acting up... darn thing just quit on me today for several hours and wouldn't do anything. It's an old flip phone style, and teh outside screen has been busted for about 6 months.

I want a durable phone... I'm looking at the Casio GZOne Commando, but I'm concerned about battery life and signal strength from these phones. A friend of mine had one of these "military grade" phones and hated it because it wouldn't get any signal strength. I don't see many people having that issue... most issues seem to be with the preinstalled software or the battery life.

So waht is the average battery life of a Smart Phone? I'm used to my old Dumb Phone that can run 2 days. It's crazy. I ahve no idea what any of this smart phone stuff is all about.... haven't ever wanted one.

But the durability is a big concern for me. I work outside on these cars... motor oil, bondo, clear coat, and all other chemical elemtns that I can come up with can't damage my phone. I've had lcear coat on my old faithful for months and it just keeps on running....

Old 07-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Verizon smart phone = $30 bucks more a month (data plan) on top of your regular bill....

Old 07-06-2012, 10:08 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
Verizon smart phone = $30 bucks more a month (data plan) on top of your regular bill....
Compared to..... ?

Old 07-06-2012, 10:15 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Yeah all ceply companies add a $30 data plan, but i only use HTC phones as of now, just get u a good case & youll be ok as far as durability & battery life charge it every night

Old 07-06-2012, 11:13 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

If you are going to go with a smart phone get the Samsung Galaxy S III. That is what I will be replacing my Droid X with this October.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

The Gzone is a really nice phone and very durable. My buddy who would go through a few phones a year started using that and had no problems. It even spent a few hours at the bottom of a lake and still works. I have the DROID 4 and I like it, the battery life is alright. Most smartphone use a ton of battery depending on what apps or features you use. The DROID RAZR is pretty cool looking too. My boss has an evo and it looks good too.

On a side note everything I type with '' DROID " in it automatically goes to capitals. Even'' RAZR ''

Old 07-07-2012, 02:42 AM

all personal preference really i have had several blackberrys Android powered devices and currently have my iphone 4 and will get the iphone 5 in Sept or Oct when i comes out, i wont go back to anything else as i love my iphone!

but like i said it all personal preference.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Im not much of a tech guy when it comes to phones...

I have a few friends that have "smart" phones and use a variety of servers...verizon, att, t mobile etc...

I have the new Nokia 900 Lumia: By AT&T..(windows phone)

The down side about useing such phones no matter what the name...
Is the data plan..thats a must for any smart phone.. with out it the phone is useless...(doesnt work)

My data plan is 5 gigs on a 4g phone...and thats an extra $50.00 a month..But I have wifi capeability anywhere I go....
The mrs has the same phone with a minimal 3 gigs data plan...
All total for both phones every month is $150.00 a Month...
with unlimited texting and mobile to mobile service...

Hope this helps ya Duane...

I only have to charge it once a day...and the battery is built in...(Non replaceable) with say carrying a spare one...is not possible...

Old 07-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
If you are going to go with a smart phone get the Samsung Galaxy S III. That is what I will be replacing my Droid X with this October.
Agreed! I am going to my first smart phone here soon and am looking to go with the Galaxy S III as well.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Galaxy S III is the only way to go right now. Blows the iPhone out of the water in every way except for being overpriced for a lower tech phone.

Quick Reply: Recommended Smart Phones for Verizon?